Does anyone else just get burnt out by these giant open-world games?

elysse77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By elysse77
Member since 2019 • 2 Posts

Hello everyone,

So I recently started playing AC Odyssey, and it just is too overwhelming. I open up my quest log and I just see menial tasks again and again; none of it is enjoyable or worth my time as a player; it feels like just busy work with awkward dialogue and characters I have no interest at all in. The gameplay is great sure, and the game looks beautiful, but the game in some way just feels boring, almost lifeless.NoxVidMateMobdro

I guess what I'm trying to get at is these AAA open-world games are just getting so repetitive year after year... how many bandit camps or fetch quests can I do before I just give up? It's weird because I absolutely love the open-world genre, but developers need to make me invested in why I'm even playing your game. Every environment looks the exact same, the map is just gigantic for the sake of it, not for any reasonable gameplay decision to respect the player's time. It's come to the point where I don't even want to start up the game because it's just content overload. Odyssey is the video game equivalent of modern superhero movies (no offense to Marvel fans).

Unpopular opinion I know, but we've reached a point where games are sacrificing quality for quantity... I'd 100% rather have half the amount of side quests and main missions and a much smaller map if that meant content I actually care about.

Thank you!

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I’ve come to the conclusion that I just don’t like RPGs. Open world or not (aren’t they all open world?).

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#3 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

The games are designed to steal a lot of your time. They create games hoping to keep you from playing other games. Rockstar & Bioware are to blame. All the other devs are attempting to do what they do. Create a world you dont want to leave and one you want to accomplish a lot in. Often times players want to play as many games as they can, but these new open world RPG games prevent this.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56559 Posts

I been playing open-world games for years and still not even getting burned out. To be honest, open-world games adds more value for the money I pay for and take Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt for example, it took me 3 months to beat it when it launch. Now that's what I called a true value for the money and I want to play more of an even bigger open-world games like that. Even Horizon: Zero Dawn gave me the satisfaction value for the money.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22423 Posts

@elysse77: I absolutely agree... I'm very turned off by open world games nowadays.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

I'd rather play a game that's short but refined and trimmed of fat, than one thats long, full of content, but a good chunk of it is busy work and needles wandering around thrown in just to extend playtime.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DoomNukem3D

@Sevenizz: They are not all open world and rpg can be a bit of a loose term since you have turn based RPGs, action RPGs, and games that try to be a blend of both.

Also not all open world games are rpgs.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22423 Posts

@doomnukem3d said:

I'd rather play a game that's short but refined and trimmed of fat, than one thats long, full of content, but a good chunk of it is busy work and needles wandering around thrown in just to extend playtime.

Exactly.

The perfect example I've brought up before is that I got just as much enjoyment/satisfaction out of a 2-3 hour game like Inside, as I did a 60-70+ hour game like Red Dead 2. As much as I really liked RDR2, I think it would've been a better game if they just trimmed the fat a little.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DoomNukem3D

@hrt_rulz01: Also personally I've probably put more time in a lot of my favorite shorter games than I have longer games since I tend to replay them a lot more.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

While it's generally my go-to genre, I understand the sentiment. They often boil to just running around a map, collecting things, and completing variations of the same type of activity. Sometimes, I don't mind doing that. Other times I need to switch up genres, but overall I like having the freedom to explore games. I don't find anything inherently wrong with more linear games, I just prefer to explore games and complete them at my own pace. And open world games are perfect for that. Some are obviously better than others, but I'll take a mediocre open world game over a mediocre linear game.

cyberpunk_2077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 cyberpunk_2077
Member since 2015 • 627 Posts

I think they are overdone nowadays. There are certain ones that are done well and as such I don't mind them.

However, Ubisoft generally has the more tedious and meaningless games based on open world platform these days.

I do agree however that you certainly get your monies worth in 'quality' playtime.

I don't play games hours on end and tend to play here and there which probably also makes a difference.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

The last few big games like that, yes I got burnt out towards the end.

In AC Origins, I was playing game with intention of getting every achievement, and basically cleaned up majority of the map doing all that basic work, and started avoiding side missions. Then I got to this point where I had to head north into an area I haven't been and basically butt rushed the last 10% of the game and finished that night, cause I just didn't want to bother anymore.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#13  Edited By Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@davillain- said:

I been playing open-world games for years and still not even getting burned out. To be honest, open-world games adds more value for the money I pay for and take Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt for example, it took me 3 months to beat it when it launch. Now that's what I called a true value for the money and I want to play more of an even bigger open-world games like that. Even Horizon: Zero Dawn gave me the satisfaction value for the money.

Are you able to focus on other games while playing these are do you only concentrate one game at a time? Just curious about this with other players as well.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2083 Posts

I feel like God of War did the open world style perfect. I usually get bored of open world games quickly, but GoW had me engaged the whole way through even the side quests were pretty much full levels.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@doomnukem3d said:

Exactly.

The perfect example I've brought up before is that I got just as much enjoyment/satisfaction out of a 2-3 hour game like Inside, as I did a 60-70+ hour game like Red Dead 2. As much as I really liked RDR2, I think it would've been a better game if they just trimmed the fat a little.

I havn't played RDR2 but if its anything like the first, I could have a cig and just be almost there. It's horrible.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DoomNukem3D

@npiet1: I didnt like the first RDR either and despite the massive praise RDR 2 is getting I'm not in a hurry to play it, it sounds like it suffers from the same issues based on what I've heard.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@Coolyfett said:
@davillain- said:

Are you able to focus on other games while playing these are do you only concentrate one game at a time? Just curious about this with other players as well.

It really depends what I'm in the mood playing but on my PC, I only install 20 games at a time though and I have bad habits of playing multiple games but I only do heavy gaming during my days off work. Gaming is my only hobby making it easier to get my games complete while not being distracted despite I have a family to care for.

If it's a game I'm really engaging and it's way more fun, I tend to focus on that game first before I do anything else. But at times, I'll take a break maybe 3 days and return playing were I left off and Witcher 3 for example took me 3 months to beat because I kept exploring the maps and I was hardly playing anything else but Witcher 3 so I can complete it. Gaming is my passion, so it's normally not that hard to be distracted cause I'm good at doing multiple stuff on my PC. I own a Switch as well and I only play it when I'm out of the house making it much easier to play the exclusive without being distracted at home.

You just gotta learn to balance how you play and playing other games that works for you.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

RDR2. As of yet I am still progressing because there is so much to do borderline too much to do. As such I can only play it for an hour or two because every time I am appearing to progress, more things appear side mission or not. IMO it is 10x's what it was in GTA IV & V.

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
GettingonwithGamingLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GettingonwithGamingLife
Member since 2017 • 277 Posts

I played too many of them, and now have burned out so I am anything for the nice and linear lol, but a good open world rpg can't escape my eye. Spiderman I think was the last of them that I was going to play, looking at indies now.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts

i love open world games but i think some times i am tired wit them

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By TurboGraphix
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts

Burnt out, tired, bored, etc of any and all open world games. It's just annoying at this point..not everygame needs a map...not every game needs to show damage points when u hurt an enemy. Back in the day, that would classify as an RPG. Now, everything a rpg lol. FoH. Give me that 5 hour Gears of Fucking War 1 campaign anyday, I'm happy.

Also, going back to what the OP saying with AC Odyssey I personally think RPG elements/terrible story is what killed off the AC franchise for me. The last simple AC was syndicate, after that they went full RPG. So I think we are on the same page.

texasarlington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By texasarlington
Member since 2019 • 3 Posts

i never liked open world games

gopre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 gopre
Member since 2003 • 210 Posts

@davillain-: You nailed it. Open world gives you more bang for your buck.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@gopre said:

@davillain-: You nailed it. Open world gives you more bang for your buck.

I mean, they really do, but I can understand why others think otherwise besides how I handle open-world games. I learn it's easier to not do any too much fetch-quest if they don't add anything to the main story-line and try to do only side missions that are critical only.

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#25 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts

I love open world games, but I rarely finish them. I get caught up in all the side quests and eventually get bored.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@livingdeadman: You need to give the Witcher 3 a little more time. It’s fabulous!

In my opinion, many open world games in recently years are just full of rubbish quests, but the Witcher 3 is an exception. The quests are good and backed with a great stories.

I rarely play games twice, but I did play the Witcher 3 twice. The first time just the main game on the PS4. I then bought it for the Xbox One X and I played all the DLCs.

Far Cry 5 was overdone. I think many of the missions were a bit dull. I feel it was highly overrated.

aMyLoO2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 aMyLoO2007
Member since 2003 • 2807 Posts

I've got tons of hours in Fallout 4 on XB1 as well as PS4, and have to say I do still enjoy it. It's one of my favorite games, right behind Final Fantasy X (yay for the remakes!)

I do understand how it can get old. I will just play some CoD: WWII or BO4 if that feeling arises, but I always go back! :)

epicCODplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 epicCODplayer
Member since 2019 • 1 Posts

@elysse77: @elysse77:

Sorry to bring up an old discussion, but yes. I do. While I haven't played the game in question I got very tired playing Link last week at my uncle's apartment. I had to politely get a headache to stop playing it lol.

There isn't much to open ended games that I find compelling at all tbh.

Solspear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Solspear
Member since 2015 • 67 Posts

LOL,

Try Elder Scrolls Online, you haven't tried Open World until this one