Sound upgrade for ps4 pro? 2.1 system or soundbar?

Gdourado07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Gdourado07
Member since 2018 • 150 Posts

Hello, how are you?

Looking at upgrading my sound.

My TV is a Sony Xe90 and while the image is great, I find the sound to be lacking.

Specially is dialog.

I like to game without subtitles for the added immersion but sometimes the dialog can be really muddy and difficult to understand.

I really have to crank up the volume, but then I find the audio gets too compressed and details start to go away.

So I am looking at a simple solution to improve my gaming experience and immersion and also provide better sound quality for the rare occasions I watch some Netflix.

I am torn between either getting a soundbar like the Samsung ms650 that is a 3.0 system so with its dedicated centre drivers should do a good job at dialog.

And also is supposed to sound good with its individual amped drivers.

Or go with a 2.1 system like the edifier s350db.

I think it can provide better stereo separation and wider Soundstage.

Also, real speakers in speaker enclosures should sound better than speakers tucked in a slim bar. Or the laws of physics should so dictate.

Or another option is forget the assle of setting that up and just get some Sony platinum headsets to game and call it a day.

Anyway, what's your input in this?

Any experience in this matter?

Thank you.

Cheers

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#2 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

I recommend headphones, especially as you mentioned you like to be immersed into your games. As for the Sony Platinums, whilst I haven't used them myself, I've not heard great things about them, also not many games actually support the 3D audio that they so heavily advertise. In terms of what headphones/headset I would reccommend really depends on a few factors, such as would you prefer wired or wireless, how much you are willing to spend, and also whether you want open back or closed back headphones.

Gdourado07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Gdourado07
Member since 2018 • 150 Posts

@Chris_53: hello, thanks for your reply.

In regard to headphones, I would prefer wireless due to the flexibility to use them to also listen to YouTube on the couch and such.

What are your recommendations?

Cheers

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Chris_53

@gdourado07: Sony Gold Wireless 2018 or Turtle Beach Stealth 600 might be worth looking at

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Hyper X Cloud, and all headphones are wireless, you just plug it into the controller.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chris_53
@GTR12 said:

Hyper X Cloud, and all headphones are wireless, you just plug it into the controller.

I'm actually considering that headset myself, especially since they have released a model for the PS4 with lower impedance so it can be powered by the DS4

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Chris_53 said:
@GTR12 said:

I'm actually considering that headset myself, especially since they have released a model for the PS4 with lower impedance so it can be powered by the DS4

I also just realised, TC only wanted headphones, not a headset...oops.

Get any TC from a headphone brand, and you cant go wrong.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 961 Posts

Im looking into a pair of Arctis Pro Wireless headset. They are expensive. I have been reading about them and read a lot of good things about them.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chris_53
@Black96Z said:

Im looking into a pair of Arctis Pro Wireless headset. They are expensive. I have been reading about them and read a lot of good things about them.

Those are meant to be good but only in stereo, I've not heard great things about the surround sound and in my experience, whilst it can be quite cool to hear things behind you, virtual surround sound really kills the clarity of the audio

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 961 Posts

@Chris_53: havent read anything about how the VSS killing the clarity. But i am still reading up on headsets. I am wanting a pair that can be used for all purposes. Blutooth. Gaming. Tv. Laptop. So far they are the ones that fit all my needs. But im still looking. I dont like the $330 price tag but will if i have too.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7718 Posts

If you want immersion, investing in a surround setup is more than worth it, soundbars/2.1 systems are fine for music and stuff but gaming/movies is a different experience with a good surround setup

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4388 Posts

@howmakewood correct. you can find good deals on speakers and the wiring. the receiver going to be the main price issue. also should note you need ever part of the chain for 4k video/audio to be 2.2hdcp

Solspear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Solspear
Member since 2015 • 67 Posts

If you have $$$ then get the speakers and the sub woofer and the amplifier. Huge Sound is always better than having headsets.

Now of course I have headsets, but when I heard gameplay through a speaker system I was left speechless :v