Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

User Lists: 0

#1 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2951 Posts

3D - Analogue

My thought on this thing is what the heck is the point? Other Analogue products like Pocket and Super NT I totally get. Pocket is a whole new way to experience GameBoy. Super NT is a nice product for revisiting the excellent SNES library. This though? The best way to play GoldenEye is already on Xbox consoles so what is the point?

Does anyone have the scoop on this thing? Is it really gonna be "worth" as the kids like to say?

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1057 Posts

It seems like all N64 games will be able to be enhanced with 4k output. GoldenEye is probably not the only game N64 fans would want to play.

If you have a favorite console then one of these Analogue devices may interest you. Maybe there is enough of an audience of people who loved the N64 that this will be worth it to them.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9399 Posts

It doesn't support OpenFPGA.

So no, not worth.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4231 Posts

@pyro1245: why exactly would that matter on an older console format??

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9399 Posts

@outworld222 said:

@pyro1245: why exactly would that matter on an older console format??

OpenFPGA is a platform for users to create their own cores which greatly enhances the capability of the system. Analogue provides support for it on their Analogue Pocket, for example.

Just seems like a waste to lock it down to only playing N64 games. Maybe they don't want to eat into the sales of their other products, which is fair enough. I'll just stick with my MiSTer FPGA, and the Analogue Pocket where the hardware is not locked down and there is continual development and support for different consoles/computers/handhelds/arcades.

Shame too. It would be a great platform for community development.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58319 Posts

Would someone mind explaining exactly what this is? At first glance it seems like a licensed machine used to emulate older games?

Does it take old cartridges? Or does a purchase give you access to a digital library? Do you need to buy the games and is it through Nintendo?

In either case, seems kind of cool. I never had a console growing up but played plenty on my friends', this would be a good way to revisit all those older games.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By outworld222

@mrbojangles25: you would need to have the N64 cartridges. This isn’t emulation. But there’s a lot of unknowns about it. Like, for example, how much better would it run the older games?? Personally I’m excited and I should get notified when preorders begin.

N64 is my favorite console ever and I plan on getting Goldeneye 007 and RE2.

Edit: about the unknowns, I don’t know if this is a handheld or tv console, or you can play both….docked etc. it’s very vague. But it is an official product.

Edit 2: also, what kind of controllers would this console have?? That would seem like a very important point.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrbojangles25

@outworld222 said:

@mrbojangles25: you would need to have the N64 cartridges. This isn’t emulation. But there’s a lot of unknowns about it. Like, for example, how much better would it run the older games?? Personally I’m excited and I should get notified when preorders begin.

Edit: about the unknowns, I don’t know if this is a handheld or tv console, or you can play both….docked etc. it’s very vague. But it is an official product.

Edit 2: also, what kind of controllers would this console have?? That would seem like a very important point.

Yeah it looks cool but the marketing just screams "BUY ME, HIPSTER SCUM! USE THAT DISPOSABLE INCOME! JUSTIFY HOLDING ON TO YOUR CARTRIDGES FOR THE LAST TWO DECADES" lol.

Still, it seems like it could be fun. Some of their other products look fully-featured with portable options and ways to hook it up to old and new TV's.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By outworld222

@mrbojangles25 said:
@outworld222 said:

Yeah it looks cool but the marketing just screams "BUY ME, HIPSTER SCUM! USE THAT DISPOSABLE INCOME! JUSTIFY HOLDING ON TO YOUR CARTRIDGES FOR THE LAST TWO DECADES" lol.

Still, it seems like it could be fun. Some of their other products look fully-featured with portable options and ways to hook it up to old and new TV's.

I think everything you said is true. Sadly I’m a sucker for retro gadgets. Oh well. Shut up and take my money I suppose. 😏

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mrbojangles25

@outworld222 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@outworld222 said:

I think everything you said is true. Sadly I’m a sucker for retro gadgets. Oh well. Shut up and take my money I suppose. 😏

Nothing sad about it lol. We all have hobbies and honestly many of them aren't as affordable as gaming.

I won't kink-shame and I won't hobby-shame anyone 😋