How much am I missing out by not playing retro games on a crt?

jamesvictor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By jamesvictor1
Member since 2020 • 4 Posts

I’m asking because I can’t find any deals on Craigslist and I can’t find a crt on eBay that I like for a good price. I was thinking of just using a 27 inch flatscreen monitor to play N64, PS1, 8-bit & 16-bit games. Can I get some insight please?

agency banking

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14824 Posts

Personally I don't like to use CRTs because they're monsters. They're heavy and take a lot of space. I prefer to use adapters for old consoles, to use on my 4k tv. I was given one from my friend years ago when I had my N64, PS1 and SNES hooked up and they looked really good. I HAD to use it though, because my tv only has HDMI ports. I don't know the name but I've been itching to hook some old stuff up lately. If I find it and this thread doesn't get too old I'll post it. In the meantime hopefully someone with more knowledge on them can recommend something or help you with CRTs.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

Colors can look a bit oversaturated, but its really not a big deal if you ask me. Definitely not worth amount of space a crt will take up.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I love retro games on crt tv's, that being said if you can find the right hookups for those older consoles they can look great in modern hdtvs. If you plan on just using composite cables that came with the consoles originally its gonna look like ass.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#6 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

I personally just use an SD LCD screen. Doesn't take much space and I can still enjoy old retro games dating back to N64.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1650 Posts

They say the OSSC is the way to go for connecting old consoles to modern TV's Monitors

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts

The quality of the visuals are severely diminished when not playing on a CRT.

However, a good CRT filter can help a lot.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@Bond007uk said:

They say the OSSC is the way to go for connecting old consoles to modern TV's Monitors

There are other options. I use a $20 GBS-8200 which is a PCB designed to convert arcade cabinets to VGA. It has component and VGA inputs, and a header for wiring an RGB interface such as a SCART connector to it. I added a $5 Arduino to it which gives me all the advanced features of the OSSC for a total of $25. It's completely lag-free, and I have different options for deinterlacing and can even add scanlines. I recommend using the HD Retrovision component cables for anyone living in the US.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

The annoying thing for me was I had an old Sony crt but gave it away then a year later got the urge to get back into retro gaming. It is hard to find one at a decent price I think adaptors are the best bet and even then it's not the same quality than a crt.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@robert_sparkes: I guess it depends on where you live, crts are free all over the place where I live.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#12 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@jamesvictor1 said:

I’m asking because I can’t find any deals on Craigslist and I can’t find a crt on eBay that I like for a good price. I was thinking of just using a 27 inch flat screen monitor to play N64, PS1, 8-bit & 16-bit games. Can I get some insight please?

agency banking

Honestly, CRTs are not necessary. HD TVs have so many settings and adjustments you can make to get the visuals you want & you can customize it to your own liking. Must older HD TV have the RCA inputs that older systems used. At least all the systems after generation 5 did. If it those older Coax frequency modulators connections you may still be able to connect.