Retrogamer99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Retrogamer99
Member since 2020 • 2 Posts

Does anyone know how this works? I bought it on Ebay from an experienced seller who said it has been tested. He takes a couple days to get back though usually. Now here's the deal. I bought a Model 2. I also have the newer Genesis so it fits, no issue. I'm able to turn the Genesis on. But when there's no cartridge, the Sega CD menu doesn't come on. It seems like it's almost trying to, not sure how to explain.

I was told I need a model 1 Genesis power cable to attach to the Sega CD. Well I have an adapter that I plugged into the Sega CD. I don't know if that is sufficient. But when plugged in the Sega CD still doesn't work.

Now it came with 2 fuses. Not sure what I would do with those. I'm stumped though. Do I need to buy the official Power Cord?

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

The model 2 is the easiest to fix. There's a fuse near the power input that can go bad. Many of them are blown because the CD requires it's own A/C adapter and people tend to try to shove one in that isn't the correct voltage, so I would check that fuse first. The other reason it may not work is due to leaking capacitors. Any device that old you should do a recap on anyway, or even if it did work you'd likely end up with very poor audio and video. Lastly, the laser may need to be adjusted, if all the motors and gears internally work. The disc drive may need to be cleaned out, and re greased with new belts.'

You need a power adapter that is the correct voltage, and even then, even if the jack fits in, I believe the Sega CD uses a center-negative adapter.

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#3 YukoAsho
Member since 2004 • 3737 Posts

I was about to say, both systems need their own power supply. I'm not sure what kind the model 2 takes, as I have a model 1 Sega CD, but yeah, definitely something to research after getting the fuse and drive looked at.

narako2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 narako2020
Member since 2021 • 23 Posts

fixed it?