Which fighting game series had the least rough ride going from 2D to 3D

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

Poll Which fighting game series had the least rough ride going from 2D to 3D (7 votes)

Street Fighter (EX series) 29%
Mortal Kombat (4/Gold, Deadly Alliance, Deception, Armageddon, vs DCU) 57%
King of Fighters (Maximum Impact, 2006) 0%
Other 0%
Just results please 14%

So, as with any other transition to 3D, fighting games were no different. While we had fresh IP's built for 3D such as SEGA's Virtua Fighter and Namco's Soul and Tekken, the 2D oriented series would try their hand after Mario's plumber had a successful transition.

These examples

Street Fighter with the EX series

I remember trying this on a PlayStation demo disc and I just could not get into it. The game just felt floaty (which according to Maximillian, happens in the final release as well) and tries to be this weird hybrid of 2D and 3D (which I think Street Fighter IV-onward did way better by sticking to a 2D plane, while having 3D visuals, which many other fighters would follow).

Mortal Kombat

Never played MK4, but from what I gather, it looked to do similar as EX. I did however play the PS2 and GameCube era of 3D MK, where it feels like Ed Boon and co were indeed taking notes from the likes of Tekken 3. While not the best, Deadly Alliance, Deception, and Armageddon have provided me with a lot of fun. Never played DCU though (even though I have a 360 version), but people really didn't like the lack of gore.

King of Fighters

This is one I never played, but I had an interest in back when I watched G4. I guess SNK fans were not huge into it though. I also know it's not SNK's first foray into 3D, but SamSho 64 never released outside of Japan unlike these two.

What would you pick? Any I'm missing?

• 
judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

Man, now that you mention it, I guess the answer really is Mortal Kombat. Look, I enjoy the Deadly Alliance trilogy, but those games don't quite measure up to something like Virtual Fighter, Soul Calibur, or even DOA. Compared to SF EX or KoF MI though? Yeah, Mortal Kombat wins.

I heard KoF 2006 (Maximum Impact 2) was an improvement over the first, but I never played it so I can't judge.