I am surprised GameStop is still in business considering physical media is dead

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Icrackurnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Icrackurnuts
Member since 2024 • 64 Posts

I give them a year

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6344 Posts

Is that you pedro?

Icrackurnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Icrackurnuts

@last_lap: Maybe

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@last_lap said:

Is that you pedro?

lmao..

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39297 Posts

I hear they sell a bunch of other stuff that isn't even gaming related now. I have one 15 minutes of walk time from me, so i am kinda curious to see how it is, and will visit this shithole in the coming week.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

Considering you can literally buy new games for less than they sell used games, i can't believe that are still around either. I haven't went to one of their stores in nearly 15 years now. Not since they were charging 54.99 for Uncharted 3 used while best buy has it for $29.99 brand new.

Then they tried selling me an open game as new. I told them it was used, they opened it. They said it's never been played. I said if I open a game and return it as new is it new, they said no, I walled out. Terrible company!!!!!

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

One of them where I live closed recently, and other one, which is literally across the street, lol, is like a quarter gaming stuff.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56256 Posts

@icrackurnuts: @last_lap: Stay on topic. And for the record, that's not him.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1120 Posts

Their used games are a joke, more expensive than I can buy it new on Amazon most of the time. If I want used then I will usually go to other local shops or eBay, or just talk to friends and ask them what games they are looking to sell.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5271 Posts

I hope you are aware that GameStop sells more than video games, even physical video games.

As for physical media, they are still alive and will continue to be until technology advances to where they are no longer needed.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4240 Posts

There’s still a market for physical media. Even though it’s a dying market.

Novelty value is high.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Last_Lap

@davillain: For the record it was a joke, and I'm surprised this thread is still open. The OP is 4 words long and provides no info for a discussion.

Just saying 🤷‍♂️

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4240 Posts

@last_lap: I truly wonder whose alt, this is.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Last_Lap

@outworld222: I don't, hence the reason for my joke.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

Depends who you really ask, GameStop is still doing somewhat better than most. One store doing well means very little out of context here, what's the monthly revenue and average sales per day? GameStop is also burning cash to the tune of $200 million every quarter, so that 1.3 billion is more like $800 million after quarterly losses are taken into account. The company isn't actually generating enough revenue to sustain profitability, it's cutting costs to delay the inevitable transition to online only sales but the smart thing they've done is cut loses on closing many stores.

There's also the fact few years ago, the whole Robinhood stock app pretty much help GameStop to stay up-top which was a smart loophole to make a quick buck on putting money on GameStop stocks and lots of people jump on that before it broke the news.

All in all, very few game stores as a concept are doing ok such as Retro stores, GameStop on the other hand is slow to adapt to changes. I'm more surprise they haven't started selling CDKeys as digital is becoming the new king of buying games. I do believe GameStop would do well by selling keys if they were able to.

@girlusocrazy said:

Their used games are a joke, more expensive than I can buy it new on Amazon most of the time. If I want used then I will usually go to other local shops or eBay, or just talk to friends and ask them what games they are looking to sell.

While there customer service is really bad, I would prefer if they got better on their services because digital media isn’t as reliable as physical games for most gamers out there. And yeah, Amazon is truly hurting them.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GirlUSoCrazy

@davillain: I would like them to improve too.

I wish they never bought FuncoLand and that was still thriving.

Icrackurnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Icrackurnuts

It there start selling retro consoles again GameStop might stay in business

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4197 Posts

People have been giving GameStop a year until it goes out of business for like 15 years now. It's a parasitic business that won't be going away any time soon, unfortunately.

They've been hemorrhaging money and struggling to return to profitability since the PS3/360 days. And yet, they remain.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17451 Posts

If they were smart (they are not lol), they would've started to transition to other gaming related things like being a local version of Limited Run Games and partnering to get physical copies in stores.

They also could've expanded to an exclusive gaming related statues and toys for big games that are coming out to encourage people to come in the store

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69943 Posts

Once there is a market, they will stick around.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22799 Posts

Perhaps they're surviving on an increased collectors scene of physical media as the medium is phased out. Or they've retracted the business enough to absorb the lack of customers... Or they're about to blow up?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59117 Posts

Average pc gamer stopped caring about this years back.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GirlUSoCrazy

@uninspiredcup: Honestly I wish PC had physical for the same reasons as console. Being able to authenticate different games on different profiles at the same time, and be able to easily lend/borrow without inconveniences.

I could try to create a separate profile for each separate game I purchase, and then share all of these libraries with the different profiles that want to play the games, which would allow me to achieve this, but that quickly becomes ridiculous.

And then you still can't buy used or old games no longer available through normal means.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45297 Posts

I think Nintendo still has a good amount of physical sales and so does PlayStation. But Nintendo is keeping physical games alive for sure. And the Switch 2 will also make sure that happens.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Last_Lap

@uninspiredcup: Translation: the average PC gamer threw away their purchasing options for no reason other than convenience.

And the price of games should have been lowered as there is no case, discs, logistics, stores that pay employees etc, and yet they have risen, and PC gamers like to call themselves the "master race" 🤣

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61513 Posts

@last_lap said:

And the price of games should have been lowered as there is no case, discs, logistics, stores that pay employees etc, and yet they have risen

Agree that PC gamers have gone this way much earlier, but the prices are the same on consoles for digital. Yes, physical is an option (should be), but digital is still the same.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lundy86_4

Gamestop expanded their appeal like others have said, but of the two in the city near me, one closed. They started selling Funko Pops, and lemme tell you... I was in Toys R Us shopping gifts for my 3 year-old niece, and the balding/mid-40's/fat dude was heavily shopping some Funko... I held my breath as I walked by.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#28 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69943 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

Gamestop expanded their appeal like others have said, but of the two in the city near me, one closed. They started selling Funko Pops, and lemme tell you... I was in Toys R Us shopping gifts for my 3 year-old niece, and the balding/mid-40's/fat dude was heavily shopping some Funko... I held my breath as I walked by.

No need to call out your fellow forumites.😏

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lundy86_4

@Pedro: Don't even want to be rude, but that is the most apt description I can apply lol. Was buying my niece a huge Pikachu plushie because my brother got her into Pokemon.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Last_Lap

@lundy86_4 said:
@last_lap said:

And the price of games should have been lowered as there is no case, discs, logistics, stores that pay employees etc, and yet they have risen

Agree that PC gamers have gone this way much earlier, but the prices are the same on consoles for digital. Yes, physical is an option (should be), but digital is still the same.

The prices may be the same in your country, over here they all charge at least $10 more for digital, and most of the time its $20 more than physical.

And the fact that Sony/MS/Steam etc all charge the same price for digital as they do for physical is still stupid beyond belief, but Hermits allowed themselves to be duped by Gaben says a lot about Hermits, and MS, Sony etc would love to follow.

Let's be honest when it comes to gamers they tend to be among the dumbest consumers on the planet.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5271 Posts

@last_lap said:

@uninspiredcup: Translation: the average PC gamer threw away their purchasing options for no reason other than convenience.

And the price of games should have been lowered as there is no case, discs, logistics, stores that pay employees etc, and yet they have risen, and PC gamers like to call themselves the "master race" 🤣

People, whether in making decisions that affect aspects of their lives, should never give up their rights for the sake of security or convenience. It is a common trap, and once these rights are surrendered, they are often never returned.

What do gamers get in return for convenience? Inability to sell or even get a refund for digital copies of their games?

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9556 Posts

@uninspiredcup: you should have some pause as a pc gamer as well. There is a strong effort to force consumers to surrender ownership of everything.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44618 Posts

They made a movie about it.

Loading Video...

GameStops still get action. Just only time it ever seems to comes up in the news is when deadbeat gen-Zers steal a KIA with a USB cable and smash through a storefront, hop out, steal shit, then drive off and get caught somewhere else.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

How is it dead. The only reason physical is selling less is because a lot of video games are only digital. If video games go all digital there should be a uproar. All digital games are really rentals only. If they go all digital hopefully no entity purchases any game, it would be a ALL TIME GREAT way to slap all of them across the face like grown adults would to a immature one.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@eni232: It isn't dead. OP is being sarcastic obviously, you can buy new physical games right now. But they are right to throw shade at GameStop for not serving gamers very well.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
@lundy86_4 said:
@last_lap said:

Is it really? Alan Wake 2 game for PC costs $50 vs Console version is $70. But then again, that game was on Epic only and not on Steam.

Very few games that have been coming out new tend to cost less on PC vs full price ($70) on consoles. No doubt PC gamers really went too early.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1046 Posts

I go there a few times a year. Went last week and bought two Xbox controllers, thumb stick grips, and a coffee cup I knew my wife would like. Almost $200. I just didn’t feel like waiting for Amazon. I talked to the employee for like 10 minutes. A bit about Funko Pops and how they don’t sell and some other things. It felt good. I left satisfied. I left with a nostalgic feeling you just don’t get when shopping online. I know GS won’t last forever. I wish there was a way to go back to the 90’s, I’d leave in a heartbeat.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1078 Posts

Meh, give it time. Companies like Gamespot and GAME will cease to exist.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#39 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

Blog it then?