Welcome to the lowest stages of Hell. Nintendo Switch Hogwarts Legacy DF Analysis!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39307 Posts

They felt so bad about this version, they decided to compare it to the Xbone S from 2013, a system that was released almost half a decade before the Switch was even available.

For portability, we ruin everything, and that is OK.

1. Bunch of additional loading screens added to the game because the system can't handle 3D visuals. Loading screens can be over 40 seconds long.
  1. Completely featureless water texture that is on par with what we've seen during the 5th generation of consoles.
  1. Addional walls added to areas that shows demanding vistas because the system is simply incapable of compuiting polys on screen.
  1. 360-576p resolution with no AA, offering us the chunkiest and ugliest picture that is achievable by a gaming system.
  1. Average FPS is in the mid 20's with a ton of stutters. Portable gaming ftw!
  1. DF: "One of the most heavily downgraded Switch ports we've seen"

HOW CAN ONE EVEN CONSIDER MOBILE GAMING AS "GAMING"? Jesus Christ. Should be considered as eyes and brain torture.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#2 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17840 Posts

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11180 Posts

Oh Lord, ya'll MY EYES! What did they do?!

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

That is indeed sickening.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

You expected something better??? Just shows you how much Nintendo is overcharging for the switch.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1046 Posts

Does anyone care? The gaming industry already forgot about this game by snubbing it at the award shows.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

@eni232 said:

You expected something better??? Just shows you how much Nintendo is overcharging for the switch.

My expections for the Switch are in the negatives. What bothers me is that people have the audacity of even calling the Switch as a gaming system. What kind of respectable gaming system would even release games that run in the low to mid 20's fps at pretty much all time? Like, HELLO? Does anyone have standards out there? Or do they know that the massive majority of those using the system, are mostly children that wouldn't know any better, so they just yolo everything at sub 30fps? I mean, you look at the left side of the first picture above, and its real hard to distinguish these visuals to the original resident evil on the ps1.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hardwenzen  Online

@nnoyinghusband said:

Does anyone care? The gaming industry already forgot about this game by snubbing it at the award shows.

Yes, this game in particular, i am sure that a ton of people care. Harry Potter is great for kids, and their experience might very well be traumatizing.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3489 Posts

Looks terrible. 40 quid for that. No thank you.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3449 Posts

Cool seeing all the changes.

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Robertos
Member since 2023 • 1017 Posts

lol Nintendo's only purpose seems to be releasing "Exclusives" for PC to emulate at 60-120fps 4K.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16572 Posts

@hardwenzen: why are you hating on the switch version being worse than the Xbox one version?

The switch is on par with the Xbox 360, which is already known. It's a handheld afterall, and it was released in 2017. It's only warner bros fault for releasing the game on switch in the first place. Imagine being so greedy, you butcher your game by 2 generations, just to reach that 150 million switch owners. 💸 💰 💸

Warner Bros...for the share holders. Keep making your 🤡 threads though.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@hardwenzen: why are you hating on the switch version being worse than the Xbox one version?

The switch is on par with the Xbox 360, which is already known. It's a handheld afterall, and it was released in 2017. It's only warner bros fault for releasing the game on switch in the first place. Imagine being so greedy, you butcher your game by 2 generations, just to reach that 150 million switch owners. 💸 💰 💸

Warner Bros...for the share holders. Keep making your 🤡 threads though.

And they're charging what, $350 for it? At the end of 2023?😂That should answer all your questions😂

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2574 Posts

It needs to be stressed that those comparisons are Switch vs Xbox One S not Series S. Holy hell lmao.

My wife plays the game on PS5. It looks and runs meh there. But nothing like this Switch monstrosity. If only I could get her on PC… 🤔

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

Only part that really sticks out to me is the structural changes, such as separating the open world into separate segments with loading times inbetween.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hardwenzen  Online

@ghostofgolden said:

It needs to be stressed that those comparisons are Switch vs Xbox One S not Series S. Holy hell lmao.

My wife plays the game on PS5. It looks and runs meh there. But nothing like this Switch monstrosity. If only I could get her on PC… 🤔

What's the issue? Just plug it into your tv, give her a controller, and its just a ps5 2.0.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14813 Posts

@ghostofgolden said:

lmao

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7222 Posts

Its actually pretty impressive they got it to run so well on a CPU heavy game when Switch has such a low CPU. Even modern consoles struggle to run this game. Even high end computers pop in issues and screen stutters etc. This is a welcome port amoung some of the best to release on Switch.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hardwenzen  Online

@mesome713 said:

Its actually pretty impressive they got it to run so well on a CPU heavy game when Switch has such a low CPU. Even modern consoles struggle to run this game. Even high end computers pop in issues and screen stutters etc. This is a welcome port amoung some of the best to release on Switch.

Who are you kidding exactly? I can't even tell what the **** is on the screen🤣This is worse than Pokemon and Bayo3😂

Please Nintendo, stick to 2D side scrollers.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6974 Posts

I actually never really cared about this game because I was never a huge " Harry Potter" fan. My wife rarely plays games, however my wife loves " Harry Potter" so I thought about buying the game for her. She saw a trailer a few months ago and begged me to buy it.

I have my PS5/XSX and Switch in my game room but I didn't want to move my PS5 or XSX into our bedroom. So I asked her if she would want it on the Switch and showed her a comparison video against the PS5 version. She told me just to wait till I was willing to move the PS5 into the bedroom.

This is coming from a women who hasn't played a game outside of " Mario Kart" in probably 8 years.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#21  Edited By Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19616 Posts

Looks like PS2 graphics.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17844 Posts

Just watched the DF video there and their summary is correct. The port itself is good given the constraints the developer is working under. They did a good job.

But it's a PS5 game being ported to a PS3. The switch is what it is: It's a portable PS3/360 basically. A bit more powerful but not much more so. The game is just a bridge too far.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#23 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69955 Posts

A game looking and performing worse on a weaker system? That is totally unexpected.🤭

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mesome713

@osan0: Yeah, all the analyzers have said the same thing, they were highly impressed by how well they ported it. The developer did an amazing job.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hardwenzen  Online

@mesome713 said:

@osan0: Yeah, all the analyzers have said the same thing, they were highly impressed by how well they ported it. The developer did an amazing job.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mesome713

@hardwenzen: Bro stop being a clown, that image hasn’t focused in cause the player is to far away to see it. It an amazing technique the developer used to get better textures and avoid Poppins that plague, all the other consoles, including high-end PCs

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hardwenzen  Online

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Bro stop being a clown, that image hasn’t focused in cause the player is to far away to see it. It an amazing technique the developer used to get better textures and avoid Poppins that plague, all the other consoles, including high-end PCs

Its the ugliest game i have ever seen in my life. Lords of the Ring Gollum looks like an AAA in comparison.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6974 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Better Textures then what? This looks horrible in comparison to the PS5/XSX versions.

pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#29 pixieValerie  Online
Member since 2019 • 362 Posts

It looks pretty impressive with what they were able to accomplish. Probably something I might grab down the line in a sale.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#30 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

Honestly, none of those screenshots look good, not even the Xbox ones.

And obviously, I would not play this game on Switch. The console has had a large share of excellently running, visually impressive games. Super Mario Bros. Wonder is its most recent eye candy. Switch is “underpowered” and has some age on it, but it doesn’t have anything to prove performance-wise in any way.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mesome713

@silentchief: The nice textures don’t load till you get up close. This clown is posting unloaded textures on a 7 year old handheld, it’s embarrassing slander on the worlds greatest gaming device ever know to mankind.

We don’t call them Clown Cow for nothing.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hardwenzen  Online

@The_Deepblue said:

Honestly, none of those screenshots look good, not even the Xbox ones.

And obviously, I would not play this game on Switch. The console has had a large share of excellently running, visually impressive games. Super Mario Bros. Wonder is its most recent eye candy. Switch is “underpowered” and has some age on it, but it doesn’t have anything to prove performance-wise in any way.

Because those are Xbone S screenshots. Why would it look good on a system that was a meme from day one, especially since we have the XboneX, Series S and Series X as an upgrade to it? From the Nintendo side, we have zero upgrades, and that's what's pathetic.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34693 Posts

Was designed for new hardware, then ported to hardware that has been weak since even before it released in 2017. They didn't make any form of changes to the visuals except downgrading everything/flat out removing shit to a playable state. It looks exactly as you'd think that would look.

They could've made it look good by changing the artstyle to something the Switch could handle with acceptable clarity and frame rate. Or they could've made a different game tailored for the hardware it's for, like developers often did in the past. But these things would take effort.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#34 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69955 Posts

@Litchie said:

Was designed for new hardware, then ported to hardware that has been weak since even before it released in 2017. They didn't make any form of changes to the visuals except downgrading everything/flat out removing shit to a playable state. It looks exactly as you'd think that would look.

They could've made it look good by changing the artstyle to something the Switch could handle with acceptable clarity and frame rate. Or they could've made a different game tailored for the hardware it's for, like developers often did in the past. But these things would take effort.

Not sure if I am reading your implication correctly. Are you implying that this port didn't take effort?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44174 Posts

I can't believe they're still porting games to the N64. lol :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56258 Posts

Jokes on you TC as I only purchase Switch exclusives and 3rd-party games aren't one of them. That's reserved for PC only hence Hogwarts Legacy looks freaking amazing on PC😉

@Jag85 said:

Looks like PS2 graphics.

Naaa, PS2 had way better graphics than that. Those pics are from the N64 graphics days.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#37 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17840 Posts

Stop defending shit ports. This port should have never been made. Do not buy it or even attempt to play it. Accept that Switch has shit hardware and stick to potato games on the device.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DaVillain  Moderator

@BassMan said:

Stop defending shit ports. This port should have never been made. Do not buy it or even attempt to play it. Accept that Switch has shit hardware and stick to potato games on the device.

Nintendo Switch - Exclusives only.

3rd-party games - PC only.

This type of shit should have been on everyone's mind by now. Switch hardware is ancient as hell.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

I can't believe they're still porting games to the N64. lol :P

lol, poor Nintendo, laughing stock of industry..lol

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 410 Posts
@davillain said:
@BassMan said:

This type of shit should have been on everyone's mind by now. Switch hardware is ancient as hell.

That's a pretty fair rule of thumb. Except I would say 3rd-party games PC, XBox and PS. (I don't give a bone about PC gaming.)

The Switch does surprisingly good for what it is with system exclusives. That said, I really hope its successor is at least on par with the XBox One and PS4 in terms of power and graphics.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen  Online

@davillain said:
@BassMan said:

Why are you playing Nintendo exclusives in 17fps when you can emulate them?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44340 Posts

Doesn’t affect me one way or the other. 🤷‍♂️

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1160 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
Loading Video...

They felt so bad about this version, they decided to compare it to the Xbone S from 2013, a system that was released almost half a decade before the Switch was even available.

1. Bunch of additional loading screens added to the game because the system can't handle 3D visuals. Loading screens can be over 40 seconds long.
  1. Completely featureless water texture that is on par with what we've seen during the 5th generation of consoles.
  1. Addional walls added to areas that shows demanding vistas because the system is simply incapable of compuiting polys on screen.
  1. 360-576p resolution with no AA, offering us the chunkiest and ugliest picture that is achievable by a gaming system.

HOW CAN ONE EVEN CONSIDER MOBILE GAMING AS "GAMING"? Jesus Christ. Should be considered as eyes and brain torture.

Naaah. This is an ugliest champion on Switch. And love the intro music from Jurassic Park. LOL

Loading Video...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hardwenzen  Online

@loudheadphones said:
@hardwenzen said:
Loading Video...

Naaah. This is an ugliest champion on Switch. And love the intro music from Jurassic Park. LOL

Loading Video...

When it was first released, yes. But i've heard they've updated it the visuals by a good amount on the Switch.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaVillain  Moderator

@hardwenzen said:

Why are you playing Nintendo exclusives in 17fps when you can emulate them?

Cause I need time to burn during my launch break after all. What? Do you think I will waste my time playing Steam Deck when I have a high-end desktop PC with 4070/5900X/32 Ram too? I'll settle for Nintendo exclusives any day pal.

@rewgle said:

That's a pretty fair rule of thumb. Except I would say 3rd-party games PC, XBox and PS. (I don't give a bone about PC gaming.)

The Switch does surprisingly good for what it is with system exclusives. That said, I really hope its successor is at least on par with the XBox One and PS4 in terms of power and graphics.

Fair argument as gaming PC isn't for everyone. At least current-gens do offer performance mode.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#46 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@hardwenzen: It actually still looks pretty playable, with all things considered. I would give it a try with price drop though. I think Switch ports of PS5 gen games should be no more that $30. You know it's going to be butchered compared to the big systems so it doesn't make sense that you'd have to pay the exact, same price.