dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16020 Posts

I would say Viva Piñata was the biggest surprise to me. It could've easily been written off because it was based on a children's show, but it was actually a great game. I'd like to know about you guys. Mention something that was way better/worse than you had anticipated.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39296 Posts

Probably Demon's Souls. Back in 09 when it came out, i couldn't understand why people were talking about it because not only did it look extra fugly, but the animations were so robotic compare to many other titles released back then. I was an unhinged lemming back then, so please understand my situation. And look at it now, playing all their damn games on day one, and fav dev in the industry😎

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By KvallyX  Online
Member since 2019 • 13041 Posts

@dracula_16 said:

It could've easily been written off because it was based on a children's show

I thought Viva Pinata cartoon was based on the game?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69932 Posts

Dragon's Dogma. I was in limbo over the game when it was released and the lukewarm reception from reviewers. Thankfully, I dumped the reviews and played the game. No regrets and I have placed more single-player hours in this game than any other game.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22799 Posts

Metal gear rising revengence is god tier.... I thought it was a goofy hack n slash with metal gear characters.... Turns out gameplay that delicious puts the entire genre on notice. When I finished the game I immediately wanted more...

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@Pedro said:

Dragon's Dogma. I was in limbo over the game when it was released and the lukewarm reception from reviewers. Thankfully, I dumped the reviews and played the game. No regrets and I have placed more single-player hours in this game than any other game.

Dang, wonder if it holds up today. So many games to play..lol\

I would say Original Fear..Great Story(for video game) the graphics at the time were top notch and the weapon mechanics were amazing.

The spike gun-S-HV Penetrator is still one of my all time favorites, so satisfying nailing baddies to the wall.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24987 Posts

RE4 remake. didnot liked original. never though it would become one of my fav game.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hardwenzen

@ghosts4ever said:

RE4 remake. didnot liked original. never though it would become one of my fav game.

Its called being a flip flopper.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16020 Posts

@kvallyx said:
@dracula_16 said:

Possibly. I could've been wrong.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7266 Posts

The yazuka series up until 6 I heard about it on PS2 but never got to play it. At the time the series was exclusive on ps consoles so got a PS4 to play the series.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56253 Posts

Most definitely Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time truly made me fall in love with Zelda more so than A Link to the Past. That game was ahead of its time for a N64 game. I can replay that game to this day with no problems. (I did not like the 3DS version, it really hurts the charm from the N64)

@kvallyx said:
@dracula_16 said:

Slightly correction. Viva Pinata was a CGI show that came on Kids WB/4Kids which was part of the Saturday morning slot back when Saturday morning cartoons were still a thing.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#12  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17838 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 2. That introduction of Raiden as the main playable character after the opening sequence with Solid Snake was devastating. It was a brutal blow, like a sucker punch that I didn't see coming. It made me lose heart for the MGS series as a whole. I learned never to get too hyped for a game after that.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5271 Posts

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It is not the game's content that surprised me but the fact that it sold more copies than a mainline Super Mario game like Super Mario Odyssey. Before Breath of the Wild, Zelda games sell less copies than mainlne Super Mario games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44333 Posts

Well last year it was Lies of P for me. Thought it looked cool and had an interesting premise but didn’t think that it would end up being as awesome as it was.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@Archangel3371 said:

Well last year it was Lies of P for me. Thought it looked cool and had an interesting premise but didn’t think that it would end up being as awesome as it was.

What to you makes it stand out beyond the souls games?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44333 Posts

@TheEroica: Solid and fun combat mechanics. The mix and match stuff with the weapons is a great feature. Very interesting and cool premise and story. Excellent soundtrack. Solid level design and cool bosses. From top to bottom it’s a fantastic game that can stand toe to toe with FromSoftware’s best works.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KvallyX  Online

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheEroica  Moderator

@kvallyx said:

Man, I played that game from front to back and it was the most mid game I've ever played! I'd never call it bad, but it just didn't move the needle for me. What did you live about it?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
@Archangel3371 said:

@TheEroica: Solid and fun combat mechanics. The mix and match stuff with the weapons is a great feature. Very interesting and cool premise and story. Excellent soundtrack. Solid level design and cool bosses. From top to bottom it’s a fantastic game that can stand toe to toe with FromSoftware’s best works.

Mighty praise!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59110 Posts

Going back and replaying Rainbow 6: Rogue Spear highlighted how much this series devolved.

The depth in this game is incredible. Completely lost style of game now. Dead.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KvallyX  Online

@TheEroica said:
@kvallyx said:

Man, I played that game from front to back and it was the most mid game I've ever played! I'd never call it bad, but it just didn't move the needle for me. What did you live about it?

I don't know. I couldn't put it down. It's probably the first game since Portal that I didn't use YouTube to help me solve a puzzle. I didn't want it to end either. Story was meh. Characters were meh. But game play and puzzles kept me glued like no other game has in recent years.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By blamix
Member since 2006 • 2045 Posts

Final Fantasy 7 - i was like why the F are guys waiting and taking turns to attack each other? The game looked stupid to me back then until i played it.

Demon Souls - looked complete trash compared to other games at the time. turned out to be my 2nd best game that year.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17844 Posts

The original Deus Ex. Originally i only played the demo and, well, the statue of liberty is not a great introduction. Up to this point i had only really played FPSs (yes Deus Ex is an RPG, I know) where everything wants to kill the player too. So it didn't really click. But rave reviews and a shiny box twisted my arm. Sucked it up for the introduction, loaded up the FEMA office level and thought "Oh boy more slow killin....sigh". Saw a guard and was about to headshot him when I noticed....green reticule. Oh...OOOOOHHH....oh ok. It's not what I thought it was at all. Bloody great game.

More recently: Horizon Zero Dawn. I remember originally thinking "oh...monster hunter with Dino Robots...neat". Then I saw more gameplay and thought "oh....tomb raider with Dino Robots....neato". But the combat was quite a bit better than I thought it would be and the game was just good fun. The story was actually generally good too. Certainly exceeded expectations. Looking forward to Forbidden West later on....when it's patched.

On the negative side: Xenoblade 2. Loved 1, Loved X. Saw the reviews and thought "nah, the reviews must be wrong....bet i'll love it". Yeah...that was surprisingly bad.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hardwenzen

@kvallyx said:
@TheEroica said:
@kvallyx said:

I don't know. I couldn't put it down. It's probably the first game since Portal that I didn't use YouTube to help me solve a puzzle. I didn't want it to end either. Story was meh. Characters were meh. But game play and puzzles kept me glued like no other game has in recent years.

That game was everything what's wrong with ubi.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KvallyX  Online

@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:
@TheEroica said:
@kvallyx said:

Your taste of games is absolutely 100% dogshit horrible, and is an embarrassment to the gaming community from all aspects of the world, and from every orifice.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hardwenzen

@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:
@TheEroica said:
@kvallyx said:

Your taste of games is absolutely 100% dogshit horrible, and is an embarrassment to the gaming community from all aspects of the world, and from every orifice.

You're an Ubisoft lover. Didn't knew this before today.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KvallyX  Online

@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:

Star Wars Outlaws, DAY ONE for me.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hardwenzen

@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:

Star Wars Outlaws, DAY ONE for me.

And the best of it all is that you'll adore the zoomer's reddit writing in that game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 uninspiredcup

Starwars games use to actually be a pretty cool extension/continuation in the 90s and early 2000s.

Now it's "whatever"

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#30 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

Hifi rush.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3084 Posts

Either Guacamole or Psychonauts. For guac, I was bored with the idea of side-scrollers, and didn't think it looked all that special. Ended up loving the combat, story, traversal, music, challenges, etc.

With Psychonauts, I never really played 3d platformers because they looked too kiddy, but I loved it. Still need to play 2.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6341 Posts

The first Remnant game. I had never heard of it, saw it sitting on the shelves and took a punt on it and i'm glad I did as its a great game.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#33 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19609 Posts

Games which I initially underestimated before getting addicted:

• Resident Evil
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  • TERA Online
  • Streets of Rage 4

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 760 Posts

Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl, the atmosphere is amazing

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50604 Posts

Ya, definetley demons souls. First gameplay for it people were laughing at it here, myself included.

Then it came out and was an instant favorite.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

There are a bunch of games that have surprised me over the years, a lot of them Indie games.

One that comes to mind first was Katana Zero. That game is so damn good and I completely bought it on a whim.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#37 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3658 Posts

Silent Hill

I never played any type of horror game before and didn't know what to expect. Just the atmosphere of the fog, music and being able to explore Silent Hill. Everything about the game just kept me on the edge of my seat as it was scary for it's time.

Far Cry 3

I only played Far Cry 2 but hated malaria aspect. Far Cry 3 had a great story and I enjoyed Vaas as the villain and the missions were fun and challenging.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1120 Posts

Someone already mentioned the From Souls games and I agree.

I would also add Astro Bot Rescue Mission. It has inspired and thoughtful platformer design and catchy music. I didn't think a new mascot platformer would come out at that point in time and manage to captivate me like that. I also didn't think a 3rd person VR game would work as well as they managed to do with this game, even involving the player and the controller as tools in-game the way they did.

(RE7, Tetris Effect, and SoR4 also surprised me in a good way)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 uninspiredcup

@miquella said:

Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl, the atmosphere is amazing

Would a agree with this. At the time looked like any shooter. Game critics (when people cared) where "meh", blablabla Bioshock wowwow.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#40 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2588 Posts

Metal Gear Solid; the way there is a way to approach a lot of situations in different forms; and above all that fight against Psycho mantis; the way it broke the fourth wall, it still baffles me to this date and have wonder why not that many games try to do something similar.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Recently I'd have to say Wartales