AQWBlaZer91 Channel Update: 25 May 2023 – My thoughts on the PlayStation Showcase 2023

AQWBlaZer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 422

User Lists: 0

Edited By AQWBlaZer91
Member since 2010 • 869 Posts

Last night I watched the PlayStation Showcase 2023 to see what new and upcoming games that were coming out for PS4, PS5 and PlayStation VR2. Mostly the showcase video covers PS5 and PlayStation VR2 games. The showcase presentation was only an hour long but it did have some really solid announcements.

First was a new game called Fairgame$ which looked to be a heist game but the trailer didn't really reveal anything else.

Helldivers is getting a sequel with Helldivers II which will abandon the top-down perspective and instead will be in Third Person.

Immortals of Aveum is an FPS from Ascendant Studios that was announced at the Game Awards 2022 and is confirmed to come to the PS5 and the gameplay of it looks really sick.

The parkour running game Ghost Runner is getting a sequel with Ghost Runner II and the gameplay shown for it did look promising.

Phantom Blade 0 from Cruel Man Studio is looking to promise solid sword-based combat and the gameplay reveal for it looks impressive.

Giant Squid, a studio behind the masterpiece Journey is looking to bring the next ambitious title to the PS5 with Sword of the Sea and the gameplay shown was really good, I like how beautiful the game looks.

Croteam is working on the sequel to their 2014 puzzle game with The Talos Principle II and sadly not much was really shown for the game during the reveal.

Nomada Studio and Devolver Digital announce the next game Neva and the trailer showcased gorgeous looking art-style for it.

The Gentlebros announced their third title in the Cat Quest series with Cat Quest: Pirates of the Purribean which is an Action RPG and the gameplay shown for it so far looked pretty decent.

Foamstars is a game coming from the disaster, greedy and manipulative excuse for a game company that is Square Enix and the gameplay shown for it looks so much like Nintendo's Splatoon series except it is going to be a multiplayer focused game I bet with Microtransactions so I have no hope for that one.

Speaking of Square Enix they also showed yet another trailer for Final Fantasy XVI. At this point it is getting closer to release date and the more they keep showing trailers for the game the more they keep spoiling major aspects of the story and also show off that it plays more of a straight up character action game that is underwhelming. I'm really getting sick of the number of videos showing the gameplay and it is getting more and more unimpressive.

The Plucky Squire is an action-adventure game announced and will be developed by All Possible Features and the gameplay shown reveals that the gameplay not only takes place in the book but also outside of the book which is incredible.

Teardown from Tuxedo Labs was a PC game that was announced to be coming to consoles. It is a sandbox game with voxel graphics and you can blow up parts of the environment and it looks pretty interesting.

The rumoured Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater remake has been confirmed and it is going to be called Metal Gear Solid Delta Snake Eater and I have no idea why Konami got rid of the sequel number for this remake. Regardless, Metal Gear fans (that is if they are still on board after all of the stuff that happened with Kojima and Konami) should look forward to the upcoming remake. They also revealed that the original three Metal Gear Solid games will be coming soon to modern platforms as well.

Towers of Aghasba is a game about building and reviving villages and it is a game from Dreamlit and it looks okay.

Remedy's Alan Wake II game that was announced previously has a release date now which is on the 17th October 2023.

Assassin's Creed Mirage is the newest entry in the Assassin's Creed series by Ubisoft since 2021's Valhalla which will not adapt the RPG gameplay of previous entries and will go back to open-world action-adventure gameplay with focus on stealth and parkour.

Revenant Hill is an upcoming game coming from the co-developers of Night in the Woods. Not much is revealed for this one, you are playing as a cat who hopes of becoming a witch's familiar. Still the art-style looks great though.

Granblue Fantasy Relink is a game that has been announced back in 2016 and has been pretty much been in development hell for a while now, the trailer shown that it is coming out in 2023 but no exact date yet. At least the new trailer looked cool though.

Street Fighter 6 gets another trailer and it looked pretty good, Capcom is looking to take the popular fighting game series into a new direction by going open-world which will have you making your very own Street Fighter character and some RPG elements to it. After the demos they released it showed massive promise of what the game is going to be and it is going to be the next generation fighter.

Ultros is a sci-fi metroidvania style game announced for a 2024 release by Hadoque. The trailer shown for it looked pretty nice, the art-style for it looked cool.

Tower of Fantasy, an open-world Action RPG from Hotta Studio that originally came out on PC & iOS devices, is making its way to the PlayStation 4 & 5 consoles which will be great for PlayStation gamers.

Capcom's Dragon's Dogma is finally getting a sequel with Dragon's Dogma II and the trailer showcased for it is incredible as it showed some melee and ranged combat.

Now we talk about VR titles for PlayStation VR2. First up is Five Nights at Freddy's Help Wanted 2, which is yet another game in the Five Nights at Freddy's game series where you have to watch out for the animatronics coming after you.

Resident Evil 4 Remake is going to be getting an update which will offer up a free VR Mode so that you can see the tense horror action right in your face.

Virtual Reality Zombie Survival game Arizona Sunshine is going to get a sequel with Arizona Sunshine II and the zombie survival gameplay it showed off was decent.

Smilegate Entertainment announces Crossfire Sierra Squad a VR exclusive game and it shouldn't be anything to look forward to, especially after how bad CrossfireX was. Doesn't look all that great.

Synapse is a game where in VR you get too dual wield guns and also telekinetic powers against enemies. The trailer shown for this one was really good and the combat looked really incredible.

The rhythm game Beat Saber is getting some new songs with the Queen Music Pack so you have more songs to play around with.

Before Bungie was known for creating the old Halo games that were good, they had a little game called Marathon which was for the Macintosh operating systems Now Bungie has announced that they will be rebooting the series with the announcement of the new game.

Bungie has more content for Destiny 2 with Destiny 2: The Final Shape where Clyde-6 will be returning and it will also conclude the Light & Dark Saga. Destiny 2 was a great game until Bungie changed the intro and removed various storyline aspects and changed it for the worse but for players who are still playing Destiny 2 will have more expansions coming.

Concord is a PvP multiplayer First Person Shooter set in a vibrant sci-fi universe. Nothing much was shown in the trailer, no gameplay was shown other than it is coming soon in 2024.

A Gran Turismo movie is in the works which will be from Columbia Pictures and PlayStation Pictures directed by Neill Blomkamp. The film is going to be about a Gran Turismo player who puts his gaming skills to become an actual race car driver. The film is set to come out on 11th August 2023.

Some new PS5 Hardware Accessories were also announced, PlayStation showed off a new handheld called Project Q but it will be a streaming handheld device which really disappoints me. Considering there were streaming consoles that didn't do so well I just wished that Sony could produce a new handheld game console that has it's own games much like what they did with the PSP or the PSVita. They also announced a pair of wireless ear buds for anyone who wants a set of wireless ear buds.

To conclude the PlayStation Showcase they showed off new incredible gameplay for the upcoming Spider-Man 2 game from Insomniac Games. The gameplay reveal video showcased gameplay not only from Peter Parker's perspective but also Miles Morales as well and the game swaps back and forth in real time between as events unfold. It showed off some really good combat and stealth gameplay as you use each of the characters special abilities to outwit enemies and obstacles.

What I liked about the PlayStation Showcase 2023?

So far, I liked the announcements of Immortals of Aveum which looked cool, Sword of the Sea looked so beautiful, I like that Tower of Fantasy is coming to PlayStation consoles, Street Fighter 6 looks really good, the Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater Remake might be interesting and lastly the in-depth reveal of Spider Man 2 looked really cool. Phantom Blade 0 also looked incredible as well with its Sword based gameplay.

What I disliked about the PlayStation Showcase 2023?

Foamstars could be yet another terrible live multiplayer service from Square Enix and Final Fantasy XVI trailers again looks so uninspired. Some games like Concord's and Neva didn't reveal any gameplay and Crossfire Sierra Squad doesn't look like it could make up for the terrible disaster that was CrossfireX.

My final thoughts about the PlayStation Showcase 2023

It was a great showcase of the announcements that were shown off for the PlayStation 5 & PlayStation VR 2. I enjoyed the majority of the trailers; fans should be happy to see the announcement of the Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater remake and also it ran at a very reasonable length. Many good games were announced and I did like plenty of games that were announced.

Written by Anthony Hayball (AQWBlaZer91)