Are modern AAA games usually this hard to get into?

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

User Lists: 0

#1 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 714 Posts

I want to play PS4 games with next gen console appropriate 3D graphics sometimes but I realize their are mostly trash or hard to get into.

Like I don't even know what it is but I just cant get into them. Could it be it's all streamlined open world nonsense with sleak interfaces?

Indie however, is pretty good. It may be a 2D graphic game or ps1 retro style but they aren't slow or time consuming like most big budget games. Despite having me read paragraphs. Games like Axiom Verge which I just bought yesterday.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11690 Posts

Perhaps name the PlayStation 4 game(s) you are struggling to enjoy.

If I had to guess on your post it's Horizon Zero Dawn which I too didn't enjoy, too many quips and RP walking. I can't personally get behind games that force the player to listen in-on poorly written banter constantly, I've hated the trend even as far back as locked rooms in Half Life 2.

Factually, Uncharted is what made this trend popular in third person games. I refer to it as RP walk'n talk, though seen some outspoken console-war snots call them Movie games; which would be closer to what TellTale offered. Eitherway they're games that constantly take your controller away and I'm not in favor of it.

When you actually get to play HZD it's a poorly considered open world TPS following the Ubisoft template. Around launch I recall comparing it to the Tomb Raider reboot series in terms of gameplay and pacing.

Now it seems you want to play games with great graphics but do not have the burden of the above tropes? hmm, try some of the RE Engine games from Capcom. They're every bit as gorgeous as a Sony Exclusive.

Devil May Cry V has its flaws from a pacing point-of-view but is a good looking game in its own right, and a very good DMC game (assuming you like 3D Slashers)

I'd personally recommend Resident Evil 2 Remake heavily, it's simply among the best looking and best games period of the previous generation. Yet, can understand some don't like remakes and this game does suffer some from the RP walking trope as well. Just not as heavy as Horizon/GoWReboot/Uncharted.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1650 Posts

I don't think so, I'm an older gamer (going on 45 soon), I don't much patience with overly hard games, the most recent of which being Elden Ring, which I've only played for less than two hours. After I died about 10 times in the little of played I lost interest and haven't picked it up since.

Recently I've been really enjoying games like Cyberpunk, Metro Exodus and Doom Eternal, not hard to get into at all.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 297

#4  Edited By Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

Axiom Verge is quite good.

I agree with you though, I have been playing BF3 thinking about how far ahead of its time it was, it's 12 years old and you could still mistake it for being a modern game. Also been playing Metroid Prime Remastered which is a remaster of a 20 year old game and wondering why modern AAA isn't this good.

What AAA's have you been playing that suck?

Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Alexander2cents

@RSM-HQ: oh i did the re2make and it was cool and scary but i thought it was a bit too serious. However. I played the re4make and it was soooo Good!

I just remember the last aaa game i really enjoyed was big name mgsv.

Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Alexander2cents

@girlusocrazy: one day when all is done ill be more likely to get into big ambitious games.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11690 Posts

@Alexander2cents: Remake2 was serious, probably because the team wanted to nail Survival Horror which the series has been struggling to recapture. Still, had plenty of cheesy lines and Tofu mode. Probably my favorite RE Engine entry even now, only had very minor gripes with the game.

I do agree Remake4 is amazing, probably because it's a remake of one of the series best games. Even then not all the changes really paying off in my opinion.