Bad experiences letting people borrow your video games?

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I remember lending a fat silver modelled PS2 controller to my next door neighbour. Only to have it returned with the left joystick's rubber chewed off. (His dog apparently chewed it but who knows.)

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8783 Posts

Meh. Thank goodness Sony gave us that second stick on the right. Not a big deal.

I guess I can't remember loaning games. My problem was loaning out books and movies and not getting those back. So now I just give. I do this rarely now, but i assure you it does happen.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

More like 1/3 of my game collection stolen this way practically...

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Speeny

@raining51: Ouch.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@raining51: Why would you keep lending them out?

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

Yeh a few people scratched discs and stuff when I was younger. Don't lend games out now really, I tend to give them away to mates once I'm done with them. For the sake of £5-10 trade in price I'd rather pass them on to my friends.

I never lend controllers out, find they're quite like a fountain pen where they become 'personalised'. Using someone else's pad always feels weird to me.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#7 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11683 Posts

Had this issue only really with family, my friends have treated my games very well. They just sometimes lend them longer than expected haha.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

I lend one of my game... Diablo 1 on PC. and once I got it back ( like way longer than I wanted, the dude couldn't find it in his pile of shit ) it was covered by scratch to the point it was impossible to play again so I thrown the game in the trash.

I was really piss off.

BitJetKit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BitJetKit
Member since 2019 • 26 Posts

Yes. I let a guy borrow my game: FFVII black label. I bought this with my hard earned money. And his friend scribbled purple ink into the front plastic. I let him borrow it one more time: I never saw this copy of FFVII, again.

He and I are not going in the same direction, any longer. I am Christian, now, and he IS a homosexist.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts

I have never lent my video games to anybody. I always have this thought that my games will either get damaged, scuffs or never returned.

I am just selfish and so be it. I treat my games like gold and with care.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts
@bitjetkit said:

Yes. I let a guy borrow my game: FFVII black label. I bought this with my hard earned money. And his friend scribbled purple ink into the front plastic. I let him borrow it one more time: I never saw this copy of FFVII, again.

He and I are not going in the same direction, any longer. I am Christian, now, and he IS a homosexist.

Unlucky dude. Since you never got your game back, have you bought FFVII black label again?

BitJetKit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BitJetKit
Member since 2019 • 26 Posts

@omegamaster: I bought the PS4 digital edition. AND THIS IS IT. SWORD.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

I did a swap with a guy who was more of a friend of a friend than a direct friend. Can't remember what I gave him but I got Sonic Jam for the Sega Saturn in return. When it came time to swapping back, he said I still owed him three more games because Sonic Jam came with 4 mega drive/genesis Sonic games.

Another time I swapped with a guy who I gave Mega Bomberman to. When I got it back, the offer card for the 4 way adapter was missing and he 'never saw one when I gave it to him'.

The last time I ever let anyone borrow any of gaming stuff was when I let my brother's friend borrow my Sega Saturn and he sold it.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10517 Posts

only lend games you wouldn't mind not getting back is the rule that's served me well over the years

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

Nothing major a few games coming back in poor condition. I kind of slowed down on the whole borrowing thing when I discovered how susceptible the original Playstation discs were to scratches. I'm really glad they improved the durability of current gen games because it was ridiculous how easily Playstation games could just become unplayable

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Speeny

@valgaav_219: Praise the Blu-Ray disc!

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zuon
Member since 2008 • 505 Posts

In fifth grade, a "friend" borrowed my copy of Spyro the Dragon, Disney's Tarzan, Jumping Flash 2, Ape Escape, AND MegaMan Legends 2 for the PS1. I asked him multiple times for the remainder of the year to return them, but he kept making excuses. He used to live on the street behind mine, but he moved shortly after the school year ended, of course. Then, years later, he shows up as a classmate in my 8th grade art class, and I walk up and ask for my games back. Turns out he sold them all, but he said he would give me whatever PS1 games he had left. And he did, but they were all trash tier. We're talking "Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22" levels of bad. In fact, that game was in the pile. And they were all loose discs in questionable conditions. He didn't keep a case or manual for a single one.

But I was really annoyed when I searched up MegaMan Legends 2 on eBay in high school and found it going for upwards of $250 for a complete used copy. Luckily, the price has lowered since then, and I was able to find one for $50 around 2 years ago. I still miss the other games though.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

This topic is the whole reason that I never lend games to anybody. I did once lend copy of Lion King 1.5 movie to my friend, never got it back. At least this movie wasn't good, pretty bad IMO.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Speeny

@Zuon: Man that’s really rough.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9558 Posts

When I was younger, I let this one guy borrow a bunch of my genesis games and my power adapter. He moved away 3 weeks later and stole them all. I had some rare games including my favorites like Streets of Rage 2 and 3, Dr. Robotnik's mean bean machine, Sonic spinball, every sonic game, etc. In fact, I am going to reach out to this dude and ask him what he did. It was almost 20 years ago, but I still want my stuff.

I let this other dude back in the day borrow ehrgeiz for psx, and he basically destroyed my copy of the game. He lost the manual and the case somehow, and the disc was absolutely ruined. He had the audacity to get mad at me when I questioned him about it. I should have kicked his ass.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Speeny

@X_CAPCOM_X: I would have been fuming.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Speeny
@Yams1980 said:

Its funny how little respect people have for other peoples property when they have it. I give them something and they shit all over it.

Very true. I'm very selective with who I lend things to now.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#24 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Had my toddler cousins spend a week at my place. They're gamers like me, so it shouldn't have been a big deal to let them play my games. However, at least 3 of my games (can't remember which anymore) were completely scratched up after they were done with them. I was so pissed with them after that.