Best crime game(s) you have played (and are looking forward playing)?

Jcdenton03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Jcdenton03
Member since 2021 • 26 Posts

So pretty self-explanatory : what are your favorite crime games and which ones (released or not) are you looking forward playing?

So far I have played (and enjoyed these ones) :

-GTA Vice City, San Andreas, IV and V : Vice City stays my favorite for the heavy 80's tone in it! I always love to pop some synthwave/city-pop music when playing it (thank you custom radio!).

-Yakuza Saga : It gets better and better with time and I love the "serious yet goofy and epic" tone in it! The fact they have ported them to PC is even better to enjoy them to the fullest!

-Max Payne : I remember how I was obsessed with getting the first episode back then. I totaly loved it and played it again and again. Never missed a Max Payne episode since. Hope to see more of it soon!

-Sleeping Dog : Basicaly GTA in Hong-Kong. Stylish and damn beautiful! Having a blast with this one!

The games I'm looking forward playing :

-Serial Cleaners : It's a indie game from indie studio Draw Distance (I discovered them through their Vampire the Masquerade visual novels) where you play a group of people tasked to clean crime scenes for the mob using unique skillsets. It's the sequel to a first game named Serial Cleaner, and is settled in the 90's. The game is paying a tribute to B-movies, thrillers, Tarantino movies and more. It's looking really nice and will surely give it a shot!

-Mafia Remastered : I have already played the original Mafia Game (which I loved). I can't wait to play the Remastered Edition. Will just wait to get a new rig for this because I want to try this one with RTX!

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7357 Posts

Saints Row. Less ambitious than GTA, but more fun.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11691 Posts

I recommend, Huntdown

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

It still pisses me off that Sleeping Dogs never got a sequel it's one of those games that are so deserving of one compared to other games that aren't as good but get them anyways but at least there's the Judgment series now that's the closest thing to it. As for the best crime games I've played besides the GTA series there is Condemned Criminal Origins that is another dead series that I wish would come back.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34777 Posts

I like Mafia (original) and the top down GTA games.

@RSM-HQ said:

I recommend, Huntdown

Been eyeing this one. Looks really fun. You recommending it might just seal the deal.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RSM-HQ

@Litchie: Namely played with a friend and the experience I have had was extremely positive. Not given Huntdown enough time to properly rate the game, so hoping the other levels are consistent to my early impressions.

When I looked up reviews and opinions for Huntdown it all came across as shallow statements_ Complaints I saw consist of "Pixelated-2D-Retro, boo".

someguy8510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 someguy8510
Member since 2021 • 5 Posts

GTA SA and GTA 4 (didn't have the opportunity to play GTA 5 because of not good enough specs).

Ottyandthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ottyandthedj
Member since 2020 • 113 Posts

I really enjoyed GTA IV when it released on PS3 and XBOX 360, I still remember when I first got it, that was a really good game and it introduced some fun social elements during that time. Particularly the cafe that Niko goes to to check his e-mail, and him being able to communicate with his family from over seas, that was pretty awesome.

The online side of the game wasn't that bad either, and it was quite fun to explore the GTA map that way.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9600 Posts

Some games that weren't mentioned that I really liked that involved crime include LA Noire, AC Syndicate, A Way Out, Battlefield Hardline, Heavy Rain, Driver, Driver 2, Driver San Francisco, Fighting Force, The Getaway, Smugglers Run, Streets of Rage, and Thief Simulator to name a few that have released in the last few gens. There were a lot of great shooters involving crime on the NES, SNES, GEN days as well.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RSM-HQ
@WitIsWisdom said:

Some games that weren't mentioned that I really liked that involved crime include LA Noire, AC Syndicate, A Way Out, Battlefield Hardline, Heavy Rain, Driver, Driver 2, Driver San Francisco, Fighting Force, The Getaway, Smugglers Run, Streets of Rage, and Thief Simulator to name a few that have released in the last few gens. There were a lot of great shooters involving crime on the NES, SNES, GEN days as well.

Might be pushing it with that one.

Tough calling BK/ SoR a crime game despite its setting, it is only the set-up. During the game we break more laws by breaking windows and smashing up arcade cabinets, and do not really bring justice at all, outside bringing down a mob boss at the end of the game. Which many games do even without the setting.

The rest is simply a walking and punching Bem'U like any that came before, just more refined than most with a great visual style and musical score. Suppose the OG and 4 use police cars as specials but overall I do not think it would be considered by many to fit the description given.

With that stated have not played 4 since around launch and am waiting to locally be able to play with a few friends and enjoy the season pass that dropped with all the new and cool characters. BK/ SoR is an amazing series, I just think 'crime game' is a tad misleading to anyone jumping in. The whole ex-cop vibe of the series is drowned in robots, wrestlers and a kid on skates.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7288 Posts

LA Noire

Yazuka 0

Sleeping dogs

Mafia remastered

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9600 Posts

@RSM-HQ : I was just talking about the premise of the franchise. In most games you wind up doing more damage than good even if you're playing as the police.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#16 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

Sleeping Dogs

Saints Row series

LEGO City Undercover

The Simpsons: Hit and Run

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

@warmblur said:

It still pisses me off that Sleeping Dogs never got a sequel it's one of those games that are so deserving of one compared to other games that aren't as good but get them anyways...

Totally agree. It's such an underrated/under appreciated game.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RSM-HQ

@WitIsWisdom said:

@RSM-HQ : I was just talking about the premise of the franchise. In most games you wind up doing more damage than good even if you're playing as the police.

Very true, for me BK doesn't really get the crime vibe for a lot of it, more material arts and random fights. The end with the tommy gun Mr X however is very gang/ crime vibes. Just in a franchise with a lot of robots plus wrestlers fighting us seems to just be Beat em' Up bliss, and the premise gets very lost, very quickly.

And that's not a negative to Bare Knuckle/ Streets of Rage. I just do not think crime and gang warfare was really what the package was aimed at, just a intro reason to punch things in the face.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#19 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Heavy Rain?

Jcdenton03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jcdenton03

I wish Sleeping Dogs had a sequel honestly. It could have been an excellent alternative to GTA. I hope we can see a Sleeping Dogs 2 game one day.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59336 Posts

Quite enjoyed Sherlock Holmes vs Jack The Ripper.

The Sherlock Holmes games have tried to update, become sexier, edgier with explosions to appeal to a wider demographic.

But the low-key nature here where it's very dry going down one mundane alley after another, combining it with real events kinda makes it engage in a way it otherwise wouldn't.

Not a perfect game by any means, clearly low budget and the gameplay isn't exactly riveting, but it pulls you into that time-frame with a mystery that's fairly well done and delivers in the end.

Find out who the culprit is, but it's not stupid.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58511 Posts

Can't remember many but I recall liking:

• Sleeping Dogs
  • This is the Police 2
  • This really cool point-and-click detective game where you investigate this world of magic and demons and stuff. Had a very retro look like Monkey Island but came out <10 years ago, was really well received. Name escapes me at the moment...
@RSM-HQ said:

@Litchie: Namely played with a friend and the experience I have had was extremely positive. Not given Huntdown enough time to properly rate the game, so hoping the other levels are consistent to my early impressions.

When I looked up reviews and opinions for Huntdown it all came across as shallow statements_ Complaints I saw consist of "Pixelated-2D-Retro, boo".

I fracking hate that. Some of the posters on here have that mentality and it just really bums me out that these people deprive themselves of great games just because it doesn't fully utilize the hardware of their preferred console. These folks aren't gamers, they're hardware sycophants.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RSM-HQ
@mrbojangles25 said:

I fracking hate that. Some of the posters on here have that mentality and it just really bums me out that these people deprive themselves of great games just because it doesn't fully utilize the hardware of their preferred console. These folks aren't gamers, they're hardware sycophants.

Could not agree more.

Hardware sycophants is a good one, always called them tech-heads myself. And not against people having different tastes and perspectives; but something is lost when the gameplay or fun factor no longer matters. I saw this with the MH: Rise review, the comments blew my mind that it becomes about resolution and not the game. So transparent.

Overall seems shallow in my view to basically be a graphics whore. I think some people who grew up gaming have lost touch in why they enjoyed video games initially, and have settled for something easy to complain about, that offers no real merit.

A lot of them are probably troIIs too that do not really buy many games, if any at all.

Jcdenton03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jcdenton03
Loading Video...

New Serial Cleaners video! Love me these nice 90's vibes! <3