dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16021 Posts

Some games have an auto-save feature that does everything for you. On the other hand, there are games that require you to fumble around in the menus to save your progress. I'd like to know; do you save your progress often or do you simply keep playing and put it off?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

Oh ya, constantly.

I think the kids these days call that "save scumming", don't they? Well I guess that makes me the scummiest of scum. King Scum!

I'm kidding, only twerps care how people play a game, how often they save 😁😉

I suffer from "rage quit syndrome" in that if I am defeated I tend to give up and go to something else. Not so much in a rage really, just more like "Ugh I don't want to replay all that again". Quicksaving lessens this for me as if I only have to retread a very limited amount of territory again, it's less frustrating. If I have to repeat the last five minutes, however, that's kind of ridiculous to me.

@dracula_16 said:

Some games have an auto-save feature that does everything for you.

I find auto-save has improved over the years, but is too infrequent for me. I'm constantly hitting the quicksave button; after every few minutes of progress, after every story sequence (so I don't have to watch the same damn cutscene again), and after every significant battle or challenge (so I don't have to repeat it again).

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4252 Posts

Yes. On the 3DS, for retro games, the games were deemed too difficult for this day and age. So they included a “save anywhere” feature.

For the other games, I save often. It doesn’t matter if someone looks down on me because of that.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

Nah I let it ride for as long as I can, live in the moment.

Survival Horror games taught me to not save very often to get that S Rank ending. Anyone who played The Evil Within 2 on Classic knows exactly what I mean.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

Depends on the game, but I usually don't save manually (except for when I hit "save and quit"). Modern games autosave all the time. When I do save manually more frequently, it's mostly for old games, just so I don't have to repeat a long segment.

For example, dying at the end of a Doom level so you have to repeat the whole level from the start without any weapons isn't especially fun.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7333 Posts

Yes. Psycho Mantis always called me out on it.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

Yes, constantly.

TOUCAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 TOUCAL
Member since 2023 • 7 Posts

Habits retained from the Game Boy era.

Franklin007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9 Franklin007
Member since 2023 • 4 Posts

Great question! It really depends on the game for me. If it has a seamless auto-save feature, I tend to rely on that and just dive into the gameplay without worrying about manual saves. However, in games that require manual saving or have limited save points, I've learned the hard way to save my progress often. There's nothing worse than losing hours of gameplay because you forgot to save before a challenging section or unexpected event. So, I've become a bit of a habitual saver in those situations.