Does Fortnite deserve all its hate?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Killerfurries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Does Fortnite deserve all its hate? (30 votes)

Yes 40%
No 60%

From what I am seeing, people hate Fortnite because it's popular and lots of kids play it but is there anything gameplay wise that actually makes it worth hating it or are people hating it just because it's Fortnite?

• 
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59323 Posts

I don't think care, so it doesn't mater.

XRainbowDashX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By XRainbowDashX
Member since 2019 • 6 Posts

NO!O!O!O!O! Fortnite s the bset game ever it dosent deserve any of the hate it gets!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Is it really all that hated though? It's very popular and most of the criticism I've heard is more of a case of "not for me" rather than actual hate.

As for parents hating on it because they're losing their children to it - that's another matter I suppose.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11690 Posts

Not really, most who mock it dislike it due to its popularity.

I've played a bit of Fortnite, it's alright. Battle Royale are very RNG and barely skill based till near the closing stages so don't exactly go in with a high form of praise for these games personally. They're designed to be casual friendly Arena Shooters.

Clearly gained its modern reputation for ripping off PUBG. Other than that Fortnite is just a competent and decent game in a genre very popular right now.

Guitar Hero was pretty popular with a lot of hate. Most don't even remember its existence. Music rhythm games existed before Guitar Hero, and some are still really good and reasonably popular. The Vocaloid games are proof of that, one of the few series keeping Sega alive through tough times.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58503 Posts

Yes? No? Maybe?

On one hand, it's incredibly successful and it's only a game, after all, so really, should we be hating on it at all? People seem to have fun with it.

On the other hand, the game is A.) a huge cash-in on the battle royale thing, and B.) is less of a game and more of a mechanism for performing microtransactions.

I see Fortnite as the "pop music" of gaming; something that is incredibly popular, yet shouldn't be, but is ultimately harmless. Do I hate Justin Beiber? No. I simply pay him no mind.

BitJetKit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BitJetKit
Member since 2019 • 26 Posts

Guns and games got together, poor, and stay a poor ethic.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

I think it's fair to hate that this game is basically cementing the $20 per skin standard. I'm not against paying for cosmetics and I enjoy putting a thumbprint on my characters in games, but that price is ridiculously out of proportion with the work that goes into it.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

@RSM-HQ: TBF dont battle Royal games in general get shit on? I remember Pubg got bashed a lot though not quite as much. Overwatch I see gets shit on a lot as well. I've never seen Team Fortress 2 get shit on though.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RSM-HQ

@doomnukem3d: PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds gets mocked for the same reason as a Bethesda Studios game. Ugly old looking game with more glitches the developer refuses to fix because they're too busy swimming in money.

No, Fortnite doesn't exactly suffer those same issues. One could dislike its Dreamworks artstyle like Overwatch otherwise it's a pretty polished package and one doesn't even have to spend anything to jump and play. Never spent anything on Fortnite and don't plan to; same with Apex frankly.

Overwatch I would imagine because anything that brings in the MOBA fanbase brings in many the toxicity as well. Which puts many the above games to shame, look at some of the fanbase trolls from games like League of Legends. It's crazy.

Blizzard even made videos trying to address how bad the community is

Loading Video...

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

@RSM-HQ: I've heard the legends of how awful the League of legends fanbase is, I never looked into it much these kinda games dont interest me. I do still think it's unfortunate a games reputation can be ruined by its fanbase regardless of its actual quality.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RSM-HQ
@doomnukem3d said:

@RSM-HQ: I've heard the legends of how awful the League of legends fanbase is, I never looked into it much these kinda games dont interest me. I do still think it's unfortunate a games reputation can be ruined by its fanbase regardless of its actual quality.

It's sadly a make or break aspect of many online multiplayer games that have a sizeable following. I've brought it up a few times in the forums. Not all multiplayer communities are bad but a lot of the popular ones invite the worst and vocal hotheads.

I'm glad not many are in Monster Hunter despite its popularity growth with World. Always been my favorite online community on PSP, 3DS and has transferred well on PS4 despite the launch month rage-quitters and silly screaming on mics. Many the immature and impatient players who talk a big game (yet triple-cart always) have already checked out due to the difficulty curve MH offers. And that's for the better.

Multiplayer MH is about cooperation, and preparation. Not egos.

Jobbiejab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jobbiejab
Member since 2019 • 0 Posts

Firestorm is better imo

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#13 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I personally couldn't get into it. I found myself wandering around the map trying to find another player to kill way too much. It started to get boring. But, it could of been the way I was playing the game.

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
GettingonwithGamingLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GettingonwithGamingLife
Member since 2017 • 277 Posts

From a parent's point of view, maybe. the addiction and all that, but from my point of view. I don't hate it, but I certainly don't like it. I find it boring.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RSM-HQ
@gettingonwithgaminglife said:

From a parent's point of view, maybe. the addiction and all that, but from my point of view. I don't hate it, but I certainly don't like it. I find it boring.

I agree with the boring part. Like the MOBA genre all BR games excluding Apex a little bit (because of the teamwork aspect) are RNG the game. Which is also the reason for its popularity, games based around RNG are very addictive, especially to those who are usually not very good at games requiring input skills and good aim.

BR are barely centred around actual skill like a twitch Arena Shooter, they heavily rely on loot you find while progressing.

Battle Royale games are basically the worst kind of RPG, it's a randomised grind for victory.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

It doesn't deserve all it's hate, but it aso doesn't deserve all it's popularity. PUBG is the far superior Battle Royale game and the only reason Fortnite is more popular is because it's free to play and got released on all platforms.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#17 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@storm_of_swords said:

It doesn't deserve all it's hate, but it aso doesn't deserve all it's popularity. PUBG is the far superior Battle Royale game and the only reason Fortnite is more popular is because it's free to play and got released on all platforms.

The game is approachable to a much younger audience and the content turnover is lightyears ahead of PUBG.

I much prefer PUBG to be honest, but it does not stand a chance against a game that releases a new gameplay mechanic per week and a bunch of new cosmetics almost every 24 hours.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

No...

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RSM-HQ
@unk2468 said:

No it's not. People who hates FortNite depends on their own opinions.

Translation- "Game good, them wrong"

. . .

You seem to be depending on your own opinion too, which brought little argument to defend the games (Fortnite) quality.

Discussing if a game is good, bad or otherwise is always that, based on opinions/ ones perception. No opinion is more deemable than another. Don't assume it only stretches from one side and not the other. It's a philosophical quandary of sorts.

However it helps in discussions if you have a case of reference(s) for your argument, than shamelessly advertising your Twitch channel. Context is important when discussing, and you brought none.

Try mentioning the game next time. What it is, and what makes it enjoyable.

Also; year old thread_

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56406 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

Also; year old thread_

Yep.