FFXII Discussion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BLBxLakers24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 126

User Lists: 0

#1 BLBxLakers24
Member since 2008 • 1716 Posts

How is it? How did you like it?

I just picked it up, been playing it.. So far it is alright.

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
It's in my top five favorite games. I love it. It's incredibly polished, addictive, I personally enjoyed the story and characters.
Odessy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Odessy
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

the weather element brings the game to life love it :D

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#4 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I didn't like it. The battle system wasn't fun, and gambits made it absolutely pointless.

And the story was pretty weak. I was quite disappointed in it.

W1ckedGo0se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 W1ckedGo0se
Member since 2008 • 1246 Posts
It was a very good game... The story was good and the game play was great for me... My first run was 89 hours to the final boss...
KittyHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 KittyHeart
Member since 2009 • 1340 Posts

ff12 is a great game :)

fresh and innovative from ohter finalfantasy games

Furycliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Furycliff
Member since 2007 • 676 Posts

I think its a great game that gets way too much heat from some people.

Is it the best FF made? No, but I think its was a very refreshing game that I had a lot of fun with.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

Good game. Started a bit slow imho, but near the halfway mark, it had me hooked.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

I love it one of my favorite Final Fantasy titles. IMO best FF game on the PS2 and best FF since FFIX. My only gripe about the game though are: Vann and Penelo they were awful characters that had very, little to do with the story, summons were kind useless (very cool in design though), quickings were over powered and lame too, and the story falls apart after a certain part of the game.

andybobbins16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 andybobbins16
Member since 2004 • 314 Posts
I would probably say its my least fav of all the ones I have played so thats ff vii to ff xii setting aside story my biggest problem was the gameplay because it was their first attempt at something new to me it didnt quite get it right the summonings wernt very useful and because you set the specs for each character with the license grid there was little variety in the characters you didnt really get a different experience depending on who you chose to play with all could have same weaponry techniques and armour compared to 10 where although you could teach the same techniques to each character they still varied with weaponry and overdrives
jkhd831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jkhd831
Member since 2009 • 687 Posts

Good game. Started a bit slow imho, but near the halfway mark, it had me hooked.

joseph_mach

Yeah same. I really like most things about it.

The only thing I didn't like was the battle system, which wasn't tht bad, and the characters. Vaan and Penelo were pointless characters along for the ride. The rest of em were good though.

AlanQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AlanQ
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
FF XII isn't bad; I just never gotten use to the combat system.
Reiji-Arisu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Reiji-Arisu
Member since 2009 • 651 Posts
Not bad IMO. Quite enjoyable and the battle system is not as bad as it seems.
BLBxLakers24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BLBxLakers24

Some one care to explain the gambit system?

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#15 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Some one care to explain the gambit system?

BLBxLakers24

Basically, the gambit system lets you "program" the AI. You have have the AI-controlled party members do very specific things by equipping them with commands. For example, you can have a party member heal you when your HP reaches a certain level, and youset the parameters (like whether the spell is cast at 50%, 30% HP, etc.).

I stopped playing the game after 40+ hours. I wasn't feeling it anymore.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

I own all the numbered Final Fantasy games, except 11, and 12 is the worst of them all. There is hardly any story there at all and thats important.

Furycliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Furycliff
Member since 2007 • 676 Posts

I dont see how you could call FF2 and 3 better games than FF12

BLBxLakers24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BLBxLakers24

Yeah I got it now... About 2:30 in the game I unlocked the gambit system...

Odnomiar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Odnomiar
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts

it's a SINGLE PLAYER RPG designed to resemble playing online like a MMO... ummm... it sucks. no need for a discussion. it fails as a FF game. it's awful. get your gambits and program your characters to play the game for you. I honestly feel the game is boring because of a failure in design choice. I mean, someone should have seen the MMO influence as a red flag in the board meetings. it's a single player game.lol.

I can see how people would enjoy it. but sorry, just pointing my character in a direction of something to fight and then having nothing to do but watch them is just wrong, it contradicts what a video game is..yes you can change tacs but, really. what a waste of20 hours.

I never finished it.

and i don't care.

hopefully FFXIII will bea return to form. otherwise I'll be playing FFX andthe previous games to get my FF on! :P

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts

There is a story it's just not as focused on the characters as the others are, it's more about Ivalice than the characters. There is no romance like the others have had except maybe Larsa and Penelo that doesn't really go anywhere apart form rejection for Larsa being a bit too young for Penelo. But maybe the characters could have being fleshed out more than just in the first half of the game. I loved the language used, it felt at home with the period and the places.

I enjoyed the story as it chose to do something else apart from two lovers killing for the sake of doing it.

I Have to say it is one of my favourite Final Fantasy games and ps2 games.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#21 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

I loved FFXII, it was really great. I think the only thing that made it a bit unpopular in the eyes of FF fans is because it stood in the shadow of FFX (FFXI does not count), which I did like a bit better. It's still fantastic, and a fresh take on the series. Also, the more political setting is refreshing.

Odnomiar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Odnomiar
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts

Politics = bordom. remember the phantom menace?

TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

XII is my second favorite Final Fantasy game, I loved it. Saying the gambit system "plays the game for you" is a moot point, because you don't have to use it.And I happen to enjoy political stories when they're done well as in XII and FFT.

BLBxLakers24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BLBxLakers24

Well I played more today and Im starting to like it even more..

jloei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jloei
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

I loved the story, the characters, the world, and I found the combat system absolutely fantastic. The whole game was very original and refreshing. Humorous, too. But overall, what sticks with me is the feeling that the whole game is incredibly polished, and every detail was worked on and seamlessly integrated into the game world : nothing to break your suspension of disbelief. This game really did it for me, just like FFX did before. My only regret was that there is a lack of high-level areas in the game : once you reach the end of the game, you can breeze through any area of the world (except that special monster-filled dungeon, which is a nightmare). It is a bit disappointing not to be able to be challenged anymore. Also, I really like the fact that you can (and probably should) specialize your party members into specific roles by using gambits and equipment (black mage, white mage, tank, etc.). Shifting them in and out of battle as needed was real fun, and added strategic depth to the game. Damn those undead creatures !

toxic_jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 toxic_jackal
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts

Many people complain about FFXII. I think because of the different gameplay and lack of a storyline. I don't understand, because the gameplay is extensive and terrific. The storyline is there, albeit confusing at times. Some think the a few characters are useless in terms of storyline. I like FFXII because it is literally trying to be its own world. The details in the architecture, the expanse of the world, the so many-different-things-to-do outside the storyline, and the different cultures make this game more believable for me. For the battle system, I know some people think that playing with gambits makes playing the game pointless. But of course, you can turn those gambits off and choose your own actions.:roll: For me, I only play with a few gambits. I still move my characters around and such, and choose most of the commands.

LiquidClear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LiquidClear
Member since 2008 • 356 Posts

It's a good game, but I have numerous gripes about it. It takes a lot of heat because of the high bar set by the FF series.

The story was there, but the characters are all quite bland (with the exception of Balthier). It was also a little bit political, which seems to rub most people the wrong way... I just didn't like it much.

The License Board was kind of annoying. I didn't like the idea of having to essentially purchase the right to use weapons and spells as opposed to just being able to use something once I found it.

I didn't really like the gambit system either. I literally used the same gambits on my characters from about ~5 hours in all the way to the end, changing them only when I'd get an upgraded version of a healing spell.

The battle system wasn't my favorite, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

Now, considering I had all these gripes with it, a below average Final Fantasy game is still an above average game. I really applaud the sheer amount of stuff to do there is in the game, as well as the massive world it takes place in. TBH you'd probably be better off just playing it and not coming to listen to all of our gripes since it might make you look at the game with a harsher point of view. :P I know I was slightly jaded because I came to 12 from FFX, pretty much my favorite game of all time.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

FF XII is one of the best RPGs of the past ten years.

From the battle system to the graphics, from the characters to the massive , beautiful open world to explore - this game still impresses me to this day. Probably the most under appreciated AAA game in the PS2 library.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jasonharris48

Politics = bordom. remember the phantom menace?

Odnomiar

Yea, I remember the Phantom Menace but that movie was bad due to bad writing. I don't get the whole politics equal boring saying. I still find Final Fantasy Tactics to be the best FF title and its story focused around politics.

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts
I got this game quite a while ago... I can't remember exactly when, but I know it wasn't too long after it came out. Before I say anything else, let me just say that I don't think the political story was stale or boring at all. I was loving it, and the intrigue was the only thing really keeping me hooked. That being said, I never actually finished the game. The reason is mostly because of the battle system and the license board. I had huge issues with the gambit system... mostly that it was freakin useless, and I found myself taking about 3x longer than I should have to complete battles, because I had to pause and set commands every time a character's meter was full. I got tired of running through monster-filled areas where every other encounter required a different magic element, yet not having the capability to switch to a manual control mode to override the gambits. Battles just became a huge chore to me, and that point, I just wasn't enjoying the game anymore. The issues I had with the license board were two-fold. Firstly, you had to guess which panel had the gear/spell/ability that you wanted, and if you were wrong, you ended up wasting points on a panel that you didn't need, or didn't want. To offset this, the developers thought it would be smart to make ALL battles give you the same amount of license points. In other words, to overcome the retardedness of the license board, your best option was to go to a beginner area and mindlessly grind on level 1 monsters for hours at a time to build up your license points. Some people may see these as small issues for a game that looks so amazing and has a great story, but they were dealbreakers to me. I love games with a great story, but the second I stop having fun playing them is the same moment that I have to give up trying to follow that story.
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

Not all creatures give the same amount of LP. And you CAN manually control the characters.

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Greyfeld

Not all creatures give the same amount of LP. And you CAN manually control the characters.

TaCoDuDe

At about 30 hours into the game, I got the same LP from creatures my level, as I did from level 1 creatures right outside the starting city. I remember this, because I went out of my way to test it.

And having to pause the game every 3 seconds to issue commands doesn't count as manually controlling the characters.

beener826

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 beener826
Member since 2007 • 36 Posts

when i first got it i couldnt get into it because i found the battle system difficult. But i revisited it this summer and for some reason it was like a completely different game. Its a great addition to the series. Its different than the others but still has the music, atmosphere, and charm that FF games are known for. Not my favorite in the series. But one of my favorite RPGs

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

It was like they removed every single thing I liked about FF. There was no tactics, no difficulty, lame characters, weak summons, no mini games, no jobs. Vaan has to be one of the lamest, girliestvideo game characters ever in my opinion. I don't believe the same people that made FFXI online, Vagrant Story and FFVII made that game, I don't think they did actually.

I actually felt insulted at how stupid they thought the're fans actaully are.

Seriously, when "treasure" is 2 fricken gil you know theres something epically wrong with this view. What kind of **** developer rewards their gamers for getting to the bottom of a dungion with 2 gil and a piece of rust?

**** me. Edited 12 times, I have some pent up anger at this game, lol.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jasonharris48

It was like they removed every single thing I liked about FF. There was no tactics, no difficulty, lame characters, weak summons, no mini games, no jobs. Vaan has to be one of the lamest, girliestvideo game characters ever in my opinion. I don't believe the same people that made FFXI online, Vagrant Storyand FFVII made that game, I don't think they did actually.

Seriously, when "treasure" is 2 fricken gil you know theres something epically wrong with this view. What kind of **** developer rewards their gamers for getting to the bottom of a dungion with 2 gil and a piece of rust?

bad_fur_day

Actually it was the team that developed FF: Tatics and Vagrant Story that worked on FFXII (Team 4 Yasumi Matsuno and former Quest members). FFXII may not be the best FF title but it was a damn good game and far better than that mess called FFX.

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Greyfeld

[QUOTE="bad_fur_day"]

It was like they removed every single thing I liked about FF. There was no tactics, no difficulty, lame characters, weak summons, no mini games, no jobs. Vaan has to be one of the lamest, girliestvideo game characters ever in my opinion. I don't believe the same people that made FFXI online, Vagrant Storyand FFVII made that game, I don't think they did actually.

jasonharris48

Actually it was the team that developed FF: Tatics and Vagrant Story that worked on FFXII (Team 4 Yasumi Matsuno and former Quest members). FFXII may not be the best FF title but it was a damn good game and far better than that mess called FFX.

Says you. I actually beat FFX twice. I couldn't even finish FFXII.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

I don't understand why it's being called a "political story" when it has no more politics than FFVI.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jasonharris48

I don't understand why it's being called a "political story" when it has no more politics than FFVI.

hakanakumono

Well having a king, princess, empires and republics = too much politics for a main stream FF title. Jokes aside IDK FFVI and Tacticsrevovled around politics more than FFXII did.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

jasonharris48

Well having a king, princess, empires and republics = too much politics for a main stream FF title. Jokes aside IDK FFVI and Tacticsrevovled around politics more than FFXII did.

Seriously though, VIII was just as political, although VIII felt more political to me because of it's modern political setting and I enjoyed that.

The problem with XII is that it spends the first half slowly building up a plot based around the Nethicite and then spends the second half building up to the Occuria. Then you fight Vayne, simply because he's in the way of you restoring Dalmasca and then the game ends. What? It's like playing only the first disc of VIII and then quitting.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

Seriously though, VIII was just as political, although VIII felt more political to me because of it's modern political setting and I enjoyed that.

The problem with XII is that it spends the first half slowly building up a plot based around the Nethicite and then spends the second half building up to the Occuria. Then you fight Vayne, simply because he's in the way of you restoring Dalmasca and then the game ends. What? It's like playing only the first disc of VIII and then quitting.

Yea that sucks when the main writer which happens to be the directer leaves the project before itis over. Every event after Stilshrine could of been really great you know.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"] Well having a king, princess, empires and republics = too much politics for a main stream FF title. Jokes aside IDK FFVI and Tacticsrevovled around politics more than FFXII did.

jasonharris48

Yea that sucks when the main writer which happens to be the directer leaves the project before itis over. Every event after Stilshrine could of been really great you know.

I think it actually warrants an XII-2. I could even see Ashe being a villain. Now THAT would be interesting.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

I think it actually warrants an XII-2. I could even see Ashe being a villain. Now THAT would be interesting.

Hmm it could work

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#43 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

I was never a big fan of FF12, it had its good points:

-the graphics were awesome for the PS2

-the designs of monsters and locales was really good.

-the soundtrack was good (though it pales to the likes of 8 and 7)

what killed it for me was the story, which I found to be boring and I didnt like most of characters (Balthier was a colourful character though).

the gameplay systerm wasnt bad by any means , but I didnt like the license board, since I couldnt actually see what I was selecting (if it was like 10s sphere grid, it would be ok).