Gamefly - your thoughts?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kenshi_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Kenshi_is_god
Member since 2004 • 5414 Posts

Hey everyone, I was just wondering what you all thought about Gamefly.

When I first started getting really into gaming, and i got a job and was able to support the hobby on my own, I thought it was kinda stupid. If I wanted to rent games, then I could just go to hollywood video, and if I didn't like it, I didn't have to wait a few days for a different one to come and it only costs 5 bucks per on top of that. And If I thought a game was good, then I buy it, new or used. But now, there's so many games out, and games cost 60 dollars a pop new(for the most part).

I just got OXM for example, they have previews for Call of Juarez, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Katimari, Lost Oddysey, Kingdom Under fire...well I can go on, but i'll save you guys the torment of reading a list going into the hundreds.

Thing is, there's too much for me to handle, and the rental period in a store isn't long enough IF I want to keep that game and play more, although then I could just buy, but Im starting to think 5 days isn't enough to warrant that decision, being that I have other things going on as well.

So im just asking, gamefly, you keep the game as long as you want correct? If I remember correctly, it's $15.99/mo.?

But what are your opinions on them? Did they ever have delays or REALLLLY long queue lines? Were the games ever really scratched? Do they have a policy if you buy a game from them after renting and it gets messed up(any protection thing i guess im trying to say)?

Thanks 

vgmkyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#2 vgmkyle
Member since 2004 • 8692 Posts
I live fairly close to them.I get my games super fast.But it seems the 360 games become unavailable pretty quick.So snag one while you have a chance.
Wildtigerrei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Wildtigerrei
Member since 2005 • 61 Posts

Hello. I have had Gamefly for about 5 months now and absolutly LOVE IT! Okay here is what it is ALL about!

$12.99 a month to have one game out at a time

$19.99 to have 2 games out a month (strongly recommend)

You go on their site look at all the games you want and add them to your list, you decide what order you want them in and it says a estimate on their stock from Very Low to Very High or it is in "NOW" and as soon as you sign up they will send you your first game and second game on your list (if available most of the time it always is in) and then they will send it to you and it will arrive between 2-5 business days, most of the time it takes about 3 days on average. You keep it as long as you want and then you can either send it back or buy the game online and it will be about 25-50% the original price! That is amazing I got F.E.A.R for the 360 for $26.00 in brand new condition! Then a couple days later they sent me the original box and the instructions in mint condition for free! It is all FREE SHIPPING AS WELL. If you decide to send your games back, put it back in the envelope they send it to you in and put it in the nearest mail drop off box, AS SOON AS THE POST OFFICE RECIEVES IT IN they will automatically inform GameFly and they will send you the next game in stock on your list. Simple and Easy! Within the last 5 Months I have only had to buy ONE game F.E.A.R. it has saved me soooo much money in the end, seeing as how I play a game most of the time for a week to 3 weeks and then am done with it for MANY YEARS, it is a great service and the customer service is very helpful. Take my word for it friend, get it! I promise you won't regret it, if you give me your E-mail I will send you a invite to GameFly. 

It also has a rewards program, the longer you are a member you get $5 GameFly credit to take off $5 off any of your purchases off the games you want to keep and you keep gaining more money ever 3 months.

Hope this helps you man, if you want some further info just give me a message I will be glad to tell you.

Kenshi_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kenshi_is_god

well i did a little more research, it's actually quite expensive...and on top of that requires a credit card, which I can do, but I'd rather not.

Does anyone know if blockbuster has any gamer pass(i remember i used to have it) or if they have any plans where you can rent x amount of items for as long as you want, but pay monthly? 

Kenshi_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kenshi_is_god
yeah wild, that helped a lot, it sounds amazing, and i'd really like to get it, but it seems a little expensive and something I might not be able to do. The site says $21.45+tax for 2 a month, that's kind of more than what I was looking for.
Wildtigerrei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Wildtigerrei
Yeah, I think they may have raised the price since I joined, I think it is very worth it though, saves me SO much money a month all I play is the games I rent, send them back and play Gears of War while I wait for my others to come in :D
Archangel5784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Archangel5784
Member since 2003 • 677 Posts

yeah wild, that helped a lot, it sounds amazing, and i'd really like to get it, but it seems a little expensive and something I might not be able to do. The site says $21.45+tax for 2 a month, that's kind of more than what I was looking for.Kenshi_is_god
Look at the grocery store for Kelloggs cereal boxes that have a Gamefly promotion. With just two or three UPCs (from cereal that I liked anyway), I was able to get a free month of Gamefly's 2 game service. On top of that, at the end of that month, they offered to let me continue another month for $9.99. So, for two months, I paid $9.99...

Then, I recently discovered that Gamefly has a deal with Brightspot.tv, in which all you have to do is go to Brightspot's website, and watch 30 second commercials (and answer/fake-answer 2-3 survey questions about them) to earn $.50 a piece off of your Gamefly bill, up to $10.00 a month.

So, basically, I've been a member for 3 months now and I've paid about $20.00, and will continue to only pay $11.95 a month for the two game service. It's well worth it, especially for games that you don't think justify a full rental from Blockbuster or Hollywood, or you'd rather keep longer.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
I've been with Gamefly for around 4 years. It's a solid service.
Avatar image for gqman2121_basic
gqman2121_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gqman2121_basic
Member since 2002 • 4322 Posts

It's worth the money. The prices for their used games can not be beat. Their games are sometimes %20 to %30 cheaper than EB or GS. 

Kenshi_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kenshi_is_god

[QUOTE="Kenshi_is_god"]yeah wild, that helped a lot, it sounds amazing, and i'd really like to get it, but it seems a little expensive and something I might not be able to do. The site says $21.45+tax for 2 a month, that's kind of more than what I was looking for.Archangel5784

Look at the grocery store for Kelloggs cereal boxes that have a Gamefly promotion. With just two or three UPCs (from cereal that I liked anyway), I was able to get a free month of Gamefly's 2 game service. On top of that, at the end of that month, they offered to let me continue another month for $9.99. So, for two months, I paid $9.99...

Then, I recently discovered that Gamefly has a deal with Brightspot.tv, in which all you have to do is go to Brightspot's website, and watch 30 second commercials (and answer/fake-answer 2-3 survey questions about them) to earn $.50 a piece off of your Gamefly bill, up to $10.00 a month.

So, basically, I've been a member for 3 months now and I've paid about $20.00, and will continue to only pay $11.95 a month for the two game service. It's well worth it, especially for games that you don't think justify a full rental from Blockbuster or Hollywood, or you'd rather keep longer.

Yes before I made this thread I looked on gamefly and subcribed to that tv site, just in case. Then I took a walk down the block to my local Hollywood Video and Blockbuster Video. They are right across the street from each other. I asked for their plans. Ready for this?

Blockbuster Game Pass - $21.95 - 1 Game(exchange as much as you want)

Hollywoodvidoe Game Pass - 1 Game/$19.99/mo. ------- 2 Games/$34.99/mo.

Think Gamefly has the advantage?

I think so, and once I get a chance, im subscribing. Thanks alot for all your inputs. Oh and to the guy who said he could invite, do I get like a free trial month or something from that? Cause then I'd appreciate it :) 

oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 oscar530
Member since 2005 • 4430 Posts
Does it ship to Canada?
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to pay $15.99 a month to be told that a game I wish to rent has a "short wait".  If I am paying for a service, they should live up to what they offer.  Most of the games I wished to rent were the same as every Joe Blow on the planet wanted to rent as well, and more often than not I would end up waiting a few weeks to get the game I wanted.

In the meantime, other games would be sent my way, but not the ones I truly wanted.  So if I wanted to keep my name at the top of their reserve list, I would have to remove all the other games from my Q as to prevent them from sending me an alternate game(which would fill up how many I could have at a time)while I waited for the one I really wanted in the first place.

They should have enough inventory to supply demand, and until they do I will not resubscribe.

Also, if you decide to cancel, they will offer you cheaper monthly rates.  They offered to drop mine down to $9.99 for a month or two if I remained with them.  Might help you save some dough.

comradex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 comradex
Member since 2003 • 3426 Posts

Question: With Gamefly have any members found that they have played all the good older games and now are just waiting for new ones to come out? Is it possible that the queve might be empty or have nothing worthwhile in it for a long period of time between new releases and thus a waste of money? 

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rekunta

Question: With Gamefly have any members found that they have played all the good older games and now are just waiting for new ones to come out? Is it possible that the queve might be empty or have nothing worthwhile in it for a long period of time between new releases and thus a waste of money? 

comradex

That depends on you I guess.  There are a lot of games oot there to play, so depending on how many you have played and how long it takes to get through them will determine if you're waiting or not.  You could subscribe and cancel when you've played all the games that interest you.  They did get new releases early when I was with them, but you'll likely end up waiting to rent those too, as I've explained in my previous post.

mac906

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mac906
Member since 2005 • 22536 Posts
I don't like to rent games, I would rather save the money and buy another game to add to my collection. :P
princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts

I rented from Gamefly for a soild 6 months. I had no problems with them at all. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that at times all of the good games for the 360 would be out and I had no choice but to get the games at the bottom of my request list. This happened to me a couple of times but it was never that big of a deal.

Lately I have been thinking about starting back up with them. I'm not sure though. 

Wildtigerrei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wildtigerrei

Okay, No one should really complain about your games not being in stock ALL THE TIME! If you want a new release add it to your list and make sure you send a game back a day or two before it comes out so you will get first dibs on the new release. As for everyone complaining about them not having the game that you want in, okay then friend...happy hunting at blockbuster or Hollywood video, cause I seriously doubt you will have ANYMORE luck than you will with Gamefly. Sometimes I rent games from Gamefly that I don't want all that much at the moment but I still wanted to play it! I will play it now then just wait till the one I want is in. Recently I wanted to rend Burnout Revenge for the 360 but they didn't have one in ATM so they sent me the next one on my list Marvel Ultimate Alliance and I am having a blast with it! Just make the best out of it! You will get your game eventually!

GameFly also saves me SOOO MUCH money a month. Normally I will spend about $100-$200 a month just on games that I would play,master,get bored with,sell a $60 game for $15 (I F***ing Hate you EB!). Now I spend $20 a month on games (and about $30 a month on MS Points, can't help that I love XBLA Games). All I am saying is, have be a little bit optimistic, don't act like a spoiled brat! "THEY DON'T HAVE THE GAME I WANT THEY ARE A HORRIBLE SERVICE! I'M NOT PAYING $20 A MONTH FOR THIS!" ............get over yourself! My cousin still only has a N64 and is so humble with it and plays it all the time! At least you guys have new console so at least be humble enough to enjoy them. 

If anyone is interested in joining,please message me with your E-mail and I will send you a GameFly invite. If you can refer 3..or 5 people I forget you can either get a 1 year free of gamefly or GAMEFLY WILL GIVE YOU A Wii! That is just another plus to the already great service. 

Thanks for listening to my random rambling. -LoneWolfRei- 

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rekunta

Okay, No one should really complain about your games not being in stock ALL THE TIME! If you want a new release add it to your list and make sure you send a game back a day or two before it comes out so you will get first dibs on the new release. As for everyone complaining about them not having the game that you want in, okay then friend...happy hunting at blockbuster or Hollywood video, cause I seriously doubt you will have ANYMORE luck than you will with Gamefly. Sometimes I rent games from Gamefly that I don't want all that much at the moment but I still wanted to play it! I will play it now then just wait till the one I want is in. Recently I wanted to rend Burnout Revenge for the 360 but they didn't have one in ATM so they sent me the next one on my list Marvel Ultimate Alliance and I am having a blast with it! Just make the best out of it! You will get your game eventually!

GameFly also saves me SOOO MUCH money a month. Normally I will spend about $100-$200 a month just on games that I would play,master,get bored with,sell a $60 game for $15 (I F***ing Hate you EB!). Now I spend $20 a month on games (and about $30 a month on MS Points, can't help that I love XBLA Games). All I am saying is, have be a little bit optimistic, don't act like a spoiled brat! "THEY DON'T HAVE THE GAME I WANT THEY ARE A HORRIBLE SERVICE! I'M NOT PAYING $20 A MONTH FOR THIS!" ............get over yourself! My cousin still only has a N64 and is so humble with it and plays it all the time! At least you guys have new console so at least be humble enough to enjoy them. 

If anyone is interested in joining,please message me with your E-mail and I will send you a GameFly invite. If you can refer 3..or 5 people I forget you can either get a 1 year free of gamefly or GAMEFLY WILL GIVE YOU A Wii! That is just another plus to the already great service. 

Thanks for listening to my random rambling. -LoneWolfRei- 

Wildtigerrei

There is a major difference between going to Blockbuster and paying for a game, and going through Gamefly to get it: if a game is not in at BB or Hollywood video, you walk out and do not pay.  With GF, you are paying a flat rate regardless.  If you are content with that, then more power to you.

For me, no I'm not going to bite.  It has nothing to do with being a "spoiled brat", it's just I'm not going to pay a monthly rate for a service that is sometimes in stock with what they offer.  Would you pay your monthly phone bill or electricity bill to be told that they will be available shortly?

Come on.