Games based on books or films: do you know some?

british_accent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 british_accent
Member since 2019 • 14 Posts

Sure most people know that Stalker and Metro games are based on books. And after finishing the game fans usually search for books to stay in that world some more time.

But that was a very big surprise for me to find out that Assassin's Creed and The Witcher are books adaptations too! I always thought they are separated products with original plot and characters.

Anyway, are there some games based on books or even movies you know? C'mon, surprise me even more!

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

Dynasty Warriors comes to mind. And technically the Sword Art Online games (like Lost Song, Fatal Bullet etc... ) since the origin of SAO is the Light Novels and not the anime.

british_accent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 british_accent

@yammireckorrdsan: Yeah, knew about SAO, but not about Dynasty Warriors. I've heard about the novel it was based on but never thought it has a game adaptation.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts

- I have no mouth and must scream

-Dune games

Loading Video...

If the Dune reboot hits it big, we will no doubt get more games. Still need to read them personally.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58402 Posts

@uninspiredcup: The Dune RTS game/s from Westwood Studios were excellent. Loved the live-action cutscenes, too :D

The books are great, must-reads for any science-fiction fans; it's an overused expression, but Dune is to sci-fi what Lord of the Rings is to fantasy.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

There is also Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor which takes place in the same universe of the Lord of Rings. But I must say that the story and characters in Shadow of Mordor is terrible. Tailon is one of the dullest protagonist I've seen in gaming. But the gameplay is good.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 GNS
Member since 2015 • 923 Posts

Metro, Witcher, Harry Potter, Buffy the vampire slayer: Chaos Bleeds (GameCube version was the best IMO, but played it on emulator, though), X-Files (very old game)...

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Heaps of Anime-based games. As well as like, Disney/Pixar stuff. Not too sure on books exclusively though. :(

british_accent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 british_accent

@mrbojangles25 said:

@uninspiredcup: The Dune RTS game/s from Westwood Studios were excellent. Loved the live-action cutscenes, too :D

The books are great, must-reads for any science-fiction fans; it's an overused expression, but Dune is to sci-fi what Lord of the Rings is to fantasy.

Started to read The Dune yesterday and you are right calling it a 'must-reads'. It's interesting and still fresh though it was published in 1960th.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

There are quite a few games based on public domain books like Jules Verne's works. Unfortunately not as many based on Lovecraft, due to the hazy nature of royalty rights.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

This is a perfect representation of the game! Bravo!

@yammireckorrdsan said:

Tailon is one of the dullest protagonist I've seen in gaming. But the gameplay is good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
deactivated-5f56fcab5da82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
Member since 2019 • 118 Posts

Legend of Zelda was inspired from Peter Pan (pretty obvious if you think about it.)

bragr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bragr
Member since 2017 • 76 Posts

Spec Ops: The Line is based on Heart of Darkness.

Rainbow Six was based on the book by Clancy, although I'm pretty sure he wrote the book for the game, so I guess it's a bit unfair to call it based off the book.

There is a bunch of Sherlock Holmes games, based off the books. Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments is worth taking a look at if you like L.A. Noire.

The Van Helsing games are based on the Dracula book.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is based on that famous Russian book, don't remember what it's called right now, but I think they made some movies based off that book too.

bragr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bragr
@Black_Knight_00 said:

There are quite a few games based on public domain books like Jules Verne's works. Unfortunately not as many based on Lovecraft, due to the hazy nature of royalty rights.

Eternal Darkness and Bloodborne are seen as Lovecraft based games, especially Eternal Darkness has that Lovecraft vibe nailed down.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@bragr said:
@Black_Knight_00 said:

Eternal Darkness and Bloodborne are seen as Lovecraft based games, especially Eternal Darkness has that Lovecraft vibe nailed down.

It sure does, ED went as close to copyright infringement as one possibly can without being sued. Shame that Shadow of the Eternals failed the crowdfunding (twice). I guess Too Human damaged Silicon Knights' reputation beyond repair.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 740 Posts

Chronicles of Riddick games come to mind. They were pretty great for the time too. Not sure how well they would've held up though.

bragr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bragr
@Black_Knight_00 said:
@bragr said:
@Black_Knight_00 said:

It sure does, ED went as close to copyright infringement as one possibly can without being sued. Shame that Shadow of the Eternals failed the crowdfunding (twice). I guess Too Human damaged Silicon Knights' reputation beyond repair.

Eternal Darkness is the definition of a cult game and way to obscure to crowdfund some sort of spiritual sequel. And that game had some major issues with its combat and A.I., it was really the art, story and audio that made the game what it was alongside the mind-tricks, and i doubt any of those key guys are still at that studio. I don't think Dyack ever was that great, besides, many developers from that area had a hit or 2 but struggled hard to transition over to the new type of technology and the more complex game design that followed. It's difficult to have any trust in anything that can resemble Eternal Darkness from that studio.

british_accent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 british_accent

@bragr: I've played one hidden object game based on The Hound of the Baskervilles. It was awful I think. The original story had no mysterious elements, but the game was full of them! I hate when they change book stories so much.

InnerGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 InnerGame
Member since 2018 • 200 Posts

I have no mouth and must scream. A few month ago someone (unfortunately I don't remember this person) advised me this game. A long time ago I read this story and was very impressioned. So, the game is old, but still great.

@british_accent said:

But that was a very big surprise for me to find out that Assassin's Creed and The Witcher are books adaptations too! I always thought they are separated products with original plot and characters.

Wow, I didn't know about Assassin's Creed! But I knew about The Witcher and even read it before playing. By the way, The Witcher is really interesting books. I liked it.

@bragr said:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is based on that famous Russian book, don't remember what it's called right now, but I think they made some movies based off that book too.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is based on Russian book called "Roadside Picnic" (by the Strugatsky brothers). This is interesting, but very depressing book. By the way, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game has own series of books.

sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20 sanghelle56
Member since 2017 • 499 Posts

Not that much into the Lord of the Rings games....but the latest looks cool for the DLC where you play as a high elf or something. :/ Tolkien's been dead for a long time but I hope there's a legit title where you play as the aforementioned race in that series. Pointy ears and advanced eyesight? I'm sold.

joshyjess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 joshyjess
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts

Here's some more:

Agatha Christy games (like the ABC Murders)

Classic books (Alice in Wonderland, Wiz of Oz...) are often made into hidden object games

Back to the Future

Super Hero Games (Batman, Spiderman, Injustice...)

Dracula and Frankenstein games

Garfield has a couple of games

Ghost Busters games

Goosebumps

Indiana Jones

Judge Dredd

Mad Max

Manos: the Hands of Fate (one of the worst movies ever made, now a game!!!)

Nancy Drew games

Quantom of Solace and other James Bond games

Rambo

Robin Hood

Star Trek games

Star Wars games (so many)

The Sum of All Fears

most Lego games are based on movies

Dungeons and Dragons games are based on the original game (books)

Trymore6589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Trymore6589
Member since 2019 • 10 Posts

Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor. It's pretty good. It can be one of my favorites apart from Grand Theft Auto, and tiles hop that I downloaded at apknite

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#24 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I know The Last of Us was inspired by The Road by Cormac McCarthy and Children of Men. Not based off them obviously, but the inspiration is clearly there.

The Witcher games were obviously based on the book series by Adrzej Sapkowski, as was Spec Ops: The Line (Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad) and the Metro series