Games that you bought for a good deal and ended up loving?

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

For this topic, I'm mainly referring to physical games but, I guess you can talk about whatever.

Recently, I can't recall getting any "good" deals, but...a few years back I did manage to buy one of my favourites, PopoloCrois on the PSP for $5 off of Gumtree. Which is basically like Craigslist. (My original copy that I had as a kid was handled poorly and I lost the case + manual.)

What's funny is that, even though it wasn't sealed, it did have a sticker around the case to stop you from trying to open it. (JB Hi-Fi here did that with most games every now and then.) Upon opening it, the UMD looked like it had never been touched as well as the manual. So, I was fairly happy about that.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

In 2009 on a Steam sale I got Mirror's Edge for 20 bucks and Dead Space for 30 both games where new IP's and not even a year old at the time love both games.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Got Duke Nukem Forever for $4 new at gamestop years ago, and for that price I loved it.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

Fire Pro Wrestling World. Grabbed a copy a year after release, cost me barely anything, and while I've never been a huge wrestling fan the level of content and satisfying gameplay is very good in these games.

Gets more content frequently, extra modes and creation packs, last update was yesterday and the game was released in 2017.

Downloading fanmade content from the official site as well is very easy and accessible. Would recommend to anyone who likes retro brawlers or wrestling games before they became QTE simulators

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

I recall picking up Nier for the PS3 at a GameStop for around $5. This was maybe ten years ago, and I grabbed it on a whim. Close to the best $5 I've ever spent, and one of my favorite overall experiences of that generation.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7333 Posts

I usually wait for a good deal for games, but some of the best I've come across over the years are:

• Viewtiful Joe 2 - New for $3
  • Starlancer - New for $2
  • Rival Schools - Very used, but $0.50
  • God of War 3 - $0.50
asterios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 asterios
Member since 2015 • 10 Posts

The most recent one I can think of is Days Gone. Didn't think he'd have was gonna be all b that great. It quickly turned into one of my favorite games on PS4.

Gamer_life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Gamer_life
Member since 2020 • 3 Posts

Once somebody told me to try some indie games, and after buying Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and The Banner Saga it was the best bundle purchase ever.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#10 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I bought a game called LISA: The painful RPG on Steam for five bucks on sale one day, and it became my favorite game of the decade and one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

@turtlethetaffer: Heard great things about those games. Have yet to play them though.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#12 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@speeny: I can't recommend them enough.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

Definitely the witcher 3 I was very late to the party got the standard xbox one version and loved it so grabbed the complete edition on ps4 for £10 probably the best money I've ever spent on a videogame. More recent has been fire pro with fire promotor dlc I was unsure on picking it up for a while finally got it and got addicted to the promotor mode. Makes watching matches better than the current WWE product.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59181 Posts

This cost me 2 quid and played it for 30+ hours

https://store.steampowered.com/app/598700/The_Vagrant/

fractured_veil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fractured_veil
Member since 2018 • 32 Posts

Back in the day I got a copy of Borderlands at a garage sale for 50 cents. I can't tell you how many hours I spent playing that game.

marleygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 marleygamer
Member since 2020 • 132 Posts

PES 20 of cors. we got it the day it was a Gamestop deal 4 like 20$

Homefront: Revolution shud arrive tomorrow, we cant wat

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#17 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

someone gave me L4D2 a while after it came out, i'd kinda written off the series after playing the demo for the first one and not enjoying it. ended up getting hooked on the Versus mode and putting like 400 hours into the game.

other games:

World in Conflict - found a physical copy for 20 bucks a while after it came out, still some of my favorite multiplayer ever and a great RTT game.

Plague Tale Innocence - I don't tend to enjoy these super narrative focused games but I loved this one, at least up until the last couple hours when it went off the rails a bit

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#18 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1583 Posts

PS3 - TES 4 Oblivion, Mass Effect trillogy (sale)

PS4 - Horizon, Fallout 4, The Forest, GTASA - All those games at the time where like either on sale or Playstation hits

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

1$ Terraria on HumbleBundle sale - around 200-300 hours

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#20 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I found a copy of Vagrant Story (PS1) for 50p at Cex back in 2008 and the hours I've spent was worth that price

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14816 Posts

Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, with all their DLC. I bought them around 7 or 8 years ago and for around $5 each on Steam. It was a huge steal. New Vegas was newer at the time too, so I was quite surprised.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Hmmmm...Red Steel, Hotline Miami, Katana Zero, Mad Max, Evil Within, Metro 2033/Last Light, Inside/Limbo, Battalion Wars, Muramasa, Timesplitters 2 (Gamecube), Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Gamecube), Star Fox Adventure, Zelda Four Swords (Gamecube). That's all that comes to mind...

Avatar image for laurenriley3332
Laurenriley3332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Laurenriley3332
Member since 2020 • 198 Posts

Burnout Paradise Remastered for $5 on PSN. I have put close to 20 hours into it, and I have not even done any of the races, takedown or crash events yet. Best money I ever spent on a game.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#24  Edited By lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@warmblur said:

In 2009 on a Steam sale I got Mirror's Edge for 20 bucks and Dead Space for 30 both games where new IP's and not even a year old at the time love both games.

Same for Dead Space 1 and 3. Got them as part of a bundle i believe. So amazing.

They do this so you'll pick up 2, and they got no argument from me.

HankMulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HankMulder
Member since 2020 • 203 Posts

Bought Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice for a bargain.

End up really in awe of the game, story it told, gameplay, voice acting, everything.
I wanted to give developers what they deserved so I bought a copy full price for a friend and will certainly support Hellblade 2 as soon as it comes out.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Got Reactor for my Atari 7800 a few years back for .50 cents and its one of my favourite games on the console.

Just recently I bought Ghost Recon:Advanced Warfighter for 5 bucks on EBay and I like it 10 times better than the 360 version. It’ll most likely never be ported over to my X1X or future XSX, but that’s ok - my Xbox works just fine.

On the flip side, the worst budget title I’ve ever purchased was the Last of Us on the PS3. I got it for $9.99 on sale from the Sony store. It took about a day to download and the gameplay was boring and far too repetitive. The online multiplayer was far superior, but at the end of the day it’s mostly a crawling simulator.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

I think was of the biggest surprises for very little money was Tokyo Mirage Sessions for Wii U. I'm totally in love with the characters, the simple yet fun combat, the art style and the whole vibe of the game.

sippio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 sippio
Member since 2015 • 2597 Posts

~PS4~Just remembered Metal GearSolid TPP.For $5 bucks lol.

My God what a game.. I broke every single non MMO hours played record ive ever had. For Sure!! Maybe 1000 hours easy.. I still didn't unlock every eapon/item..

To this very day MGS V is handsDown the best incorporation of MP intot he Single Player experience..

FOB mode is/should be in many other games for sure... If the guys base you are invading is online= he gets an alert flashing on his screen with the option to go and defend his base... He can respawn with a 1 minute timer, the attacker doesn't get a respawn.

Usually the guy isn't online but it's always exciting when he is/was...

*You can capture his high ranked badguys instead of killing them...Either way he loses them from his base..

And you're overall game rank status is base don the math X amount of ponts for a S soldier,,More if he's S+ and so on.

And you haveta be X amount of points to unlock/buy this weapon or this upgrade..

*Same with resources... I arrived late to the MGS V party so there we're still alot of people playing a yearor 2 after launch but not the large amounts of noobs like @launch. WHich meant most you encountered we're Bad2TheBone.

A really fun open world and it was fun to play a good stealth game like that..

Wish i could do it again.. Shame we wil never get more since Kojima was hate-perma bounced & Konami is 100% into mobile MicroTransaction gaming..

~Dead Island. I got so sucked into grinding + farming-routes for uber legendary weapons that this gave the game almost a extra month of full time gameplay... Bets part was i found out that Dead Island Riptide came out a month later..

Picked it up really cheap from Gamestop...

DeadIsland Riptide sucked but it was $49. but you could get the collectors edition for $110 more which i did & i still use that mini suitcase to this very day in my car as my Organizer for phone,lighter,pen,deoderant etc.. Yeah Riptide sucked though..

~~~Recently~ Void Bastards for PC. Got in humble BUndle and ended up relly enjoying it..