Gaming Websites - Are any Credible Anymore?

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts

Insofar as, does anyone include any gaming website as part of their regular web browsing anymore? Is there a single personality at gamespot that is of note? Have they broken a story of note, or scooped a major preview?

Gameinformer, due to their physical presence still demands some good preview coverage because publishers and developers alike enjoy seeing their game on the cover of a magazine, and the same can be said of Edge (but I cannot think of hte last time a game was revealed on Edge).

But website wise -- are they all dead now? Or are any worth checking out?

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts

I enjoy reading Eurogamer. They'll attempt some actual investigative journalism every now and then, will do some left field articles and their technical department the Digital Foundry gets recognition from the industry. They were invited by MS to have a look at the internals of the XboneX and discuss how it was made before anyone else got a look at it.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

I like PCGamer. They're a great news source and I enjoy reading some of their features. Eurogamer is also pretty good. Kotaku sometimes has interesting articles and reliable leaks.

Gamespot I use mostly for the forums and a quick rundown of the daily news. Anything more in depth than that and the site disappoints. Occasional grammatical errors in titles and subtitles, insane amount of coverage for non gaming related entertainment (the other day there were like 7 consecutive news stories about a spiderman theme park lol), boring video features, most of the video presenters are uninteresting, lack of interaction with the community.

As far as video content, I'm a fan of GiantBomb, GameInformer, Eurogamer and OutsideXbox. Never really cared about IGN.

TheDriver78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 TheDriver78
Member since 2020 • 12 Posts

I usually hit PCGamer, RockPaperShotgun and Polygon pretty regularly. None have the forums like GS here though.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16019 Posts

Loled when I read PC Gamer. I just can't take them seriously anymore after their review of Iceborne. Those was some funny animal rights self realization shit I ever read.

https://www.pcgamer.com/monster-hunter-world-iceborne-review/

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11691 Posts

A non english one is 4Gamers, it's a common one I use personally. And my main source for gaming knowledge and hype.

Gamespot is the main english speaking gaming site I settled with. And not the biggest fan of its clickbait and poor coverage. Games Discussion is really the only reason I stick around, and my user is also used for GFAQ, which a huge benefit.

Through GFAQ forums I see a lot of love for Easy Allies and Destructoid. Don't particularly think either are great but they're certainly better than many the alternatives, and better than Gamespot.

Easy Allies does have a good and fun community 2boot; which I plan to jump to when/if GD crumbles. I'm already on the forums over there with a casual post once a while.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ
@sakaixx said:

Loled when I read PC Gamer. I just can't take them seriously anymore after their review of Iceborne. Those was some funny animal rights self realization shit I ever read.

Honestly it comes across as mean spirited but Monster Hunter being reviewed by a P.C. dominate media outlet should always be taken with a huge grain_

I've seen/ read a few that brush it off as a "shitty console game". Refusing to appreciate a series that's been locked onto consoles/ handhelds for countless years.

Same I find with some console centric jerks trashing Divinity: Original Sin II as some dumb/ old looking RPG.

These 'professional' media reviewers are typically formed from and committed to appeal towards its most common clientele, which so happens to be fanbois. Simply clouded by bias loyalty to plastic and show a heavy dose of immaturity, unable to appreciate what they have in-front of them.

I mean let's be honest here before someone takes this the wrong way, did PCGamer ever complain about animal cruelty in World of Warcraft?

*Also after scanning that Iceborne review provided, padded and uninformative. Yet another example of the whole 'objectifying women' was pretty pitiful as well, US politics trying to corrupt overseas. What a hazbin. Didn't notice Kirin male armor or something, just to name a few.

And mentioned being a fan for years. . . Sure. Smells like a post-World game save review copy. Probably SOS spammed every major quest, or gave up after the first Velkhana encounter. The entire review was basically the same opinion someone who hasn't touched the series could give. Useless.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

What gets me about this website was when they started covering non-related gaming news, like WWE and movies. Also, their news has been a mess ever since they started doing 10-20 separate articles on one game (Destiny 2 and RDR2 articles anyone) instead of a compendium, but I get it. They got to stay relevant and are paid by the click, and what better way than to take one article and split it up into 10 pieces. But still, the best way to remain relevant as a GAMING website is to just to focus on gaming news.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@sakaixx: That review was pure cringe...wtf did the idiot expect from a game called MONSTER HUNTER!?! LOL

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RSM-HQ

@vfighter said:

@sakaixx: That review was pure cringe...wtf did the idiot expect from a game called MONSTER HUNTER!?! LOL

Well, true but majority of monsters can be trapped and tranquillised. Only Elders and danger level threats cannot be captured.

Killing isn't always necessary but for certain loot, carving is more valuable over capture.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sakaiXx

@RSM-HQ said:
@vfighter said:

Well, true but majority of monsters can be trapped and tranquillised. Only Elders and danger level threats cannot be captured.

Killing isn't always necessary but for certain loot, carving is more valuable over capture.

before you tranquilize those monster you got to break the parts, slice em enough for them to get permanent scar, maybe cut the tail, knock em out for a few second for an all out attack, trap them with electric or pitfall trap and finally you tranquilize the monster, if they survive long enough.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#12 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I really only use YouTube as my primary source for gaming information and anything I read on these forums to be totally honest.

This forum doesn’t have as much traffic as it used to I’m sure but I like the community here. It’s close-knit.

Gamespot is handy for me to use as I can use the Stacks feature to monitor what I’ve played and plan to play. (Maybe I’m one of the few who use them in general, lol.)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58509 Posts

@johnd13 said:

I like PCGamer. They're a great news source and I enjoy reading some of their features. Eurogamer is also pretty good. Kotaku sometimes has interesting articles and reliable leaks.

Gamespot I use mostly for the forums and a quick rundown of the daily news. Anything more in depth than that and the site disappoints. Occasional grammatical errors in titles and subtitles, insane amount of coverage for non gaming related entertainment (the other day there were like 7 consecutive news stories about a spiderman theme park lol), boring video features, most of the video presenters are uninteresting, lack of interaction with the community.

As far as video content, I'm a fan of GiantBomb, GameInformer, Eurogamer and OutsideXbox. Never really cared about IGN.

Yeah pretty much this.

PC Gamer, Eurogamer, and Kotaku actually have journalists write for them.

Seems like most other places have, well, people like us that like games, but also know trends. Might as well be business majors with minors in creative writing. The lack of professional journalists really shows in the articles, which also explains why 90% of the content at Gamespot are stupid videos I am forced to watch.

I mean if I want to know the "top 10 things about _______" please make a nice, concise, written article, don't make me watch a video.

On occasion you will see a really nice, insightful, written piece here at Gamespot and it is a breath of fresh air. Wish they did stuff like that more often.

Then again last week I read an article and in the first paragraph the author used "it" and "that" about 15 times.

I'm not a grammar nazi for the most part until I read stuff by people that are paid to write stuff.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4275 Posts

I like Nintendolife and nintendo everything the most. Followed by mynintendo and n4g.

That’s my routine, I don’t really check out any other sites except for gamespot. But at game spot I just post here. That’s pretty much what I do.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Yea, stuff like this where they are really just activists using the medium as a piggy back for their self-adulation drivel instantly throws any credibility out the window.

And if you take issue with this, you are automatically inducted into internets culture war, right-wing, evil and the enemy.

That goes for sites on the opposite end of the spectrum as well like OneAngryGamer where he doesn't realize he's under the same circus tend, it's like a parody site of all those grifter right-wing youtubers looking for outrage clicks, except he's not in on the joke.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RSM-HQ

@sakaixx said:

before you tranquilize those monster you got to break the parts, slice em enough for them to get permanent scar, maybe cut the tail, knock em out for a few second for an all out attack

True if a Great Sword user, Hammer bro/chick. Or any of the other weapons known to let loose a heavy does of destruction. Plenty of weapons do it, but not the Hunting Horn, you'd be lucky to get a scraped knee at most.

As such depends on the weapon you use, and if you put points into part breaker. The reviewer was solely playing majority the expansion with a Hunting Horn and as shown (Rooksearer Drum) later, one of the worst Iceborne HHs. I don't see this reviewer exactly doing much breaking or chopping without company. Best thing Bazel HH does is peak performance, doesn't offer much else, and only useful in a full squad.

Which goes back to my theory that this reviewer played SOS exclusively.

Also I get the feeling the reviewer didn't understand the game well enough that part breaker is a useful skill. What being some animal rights/ extreme feminist weirdo.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sakaiXx

@uninspiredcup said:
@sakaixx said:

Yea, stuff like this where they are really just activists using the medium as a piggy back for their self-adulation drivel instantly throws any credibility out the window.

And if you take issue with this, you are automatically inducted into internets culture war, right-wing, evil and the enemy.

That goes for sites on the opposite end of the spectrum as well like OneAngryGamer where he doesn't realize he's under the same circus tend, it's like a parody site of all those grifter right-wing youtubers looking for outrage clicks, except he's not in on the joke.

Think as you like, I found the review funny as heck and not very worthy of such a "distingushed" site.

@RSM-HQ said:
@sakaixx said:

before you tranquilize those monster you got to break the parts, slice em enough for them to get permanent scar, maybe cut the tail, knock em out for a few second for an all out attack

True if a Great Sword user, Hammer bro/chick. Or any of the other weapons known to let loose a heavy does of destruction. Plenty of weapons do it, but not the Hunting Horn, you'd be lucky to get a scraped knee at most.

As such depends on the weapon you use, and if you put points into part breaker. The reviewer was solely playing majority the expansion with a Hunting Horn and as shown (Rooksearer Drum) later, one of the worst Iceborne HHs. I don't see this reviewer exactly doing much breaking or chopping without company. Best thing Bazel HH does is peak performance, doesn't offer much else, and only useful in a full squad.

Which goes back to my theory that this reviewer played SOS exclusively.

Also I get the feeling the reviewer didn't understand the game well enough that part breaker is a useful skill. What being some animal rights/ extreme feminist weirdo.

He/she did wrote he played 200 hours into world and 200 hours more into Iceborne. That is the same amount I took to platinum the game and iceborne.... I mean for that amount of time the reviewer should have at least some idea of some of the decorations, and probably optimized some build himself. though I do believe partbreaker was kinda rare in base game and the armor that come with the skill only came with Jho update release.

Do got to give the reviewer some props for playing HH though, I thought the Bazel give Atk up L?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RSM-HQ
@sakaixx said:

played 200 hours into world and 200 hours more into Iceborne. That is the same amount I took to platinum the game and iceborne.... I mean for that amount of time the reviewer should have at least some idea of some of the decorations, and probably optimized some build himself. though I do believe partbreaker was kinda rare in base game and the armor that come with the skill only came with Jho update release.

I would argue my theory on the reviewer has more evidence than yours honestly, pulling out theories based on hours could conclude with hanging out in the gathering hub while writing up a bad review.

Also getting a platinum in Iceborne would not consider any form of skill, RNG and house decorations is patience. Doesn't exactly demand much outside the MR200 quest

Majority of temps, mantle quests, and all Iceborne extended content can be avoided for the trophy.

And because is a HH main I assume relies on SOS to get the job done. Nothing indicated this reviewer is even average at the game.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sakaiXx

@RSM-HQ: just saying 400 hours into the game you should at least have good knowledge of the game.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RSM-HQ

@sakaixx said:

@RSM-HQ: just saying 400 hours into the game you should at least have good knowledge of the game.

Not that easily convinced myself. The review gave a lot to be desired. Just as the GameSpot reviewer for World claimed to be a Monster Hunter veteran while down-scoring the game for "difficult spike end-game". And keep in mind this was way before Kulve Taroth, Lunastra, and Behemoth.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sakaiXx

@RSM-HQ: oh man, forgot about that, everyone is a pro lol. Anyhow I personally think the reviewer for PCGamer just bullshitting to get clicks. He says spent hundred of hours and I doubt he actually got through the game being that uncomfortable with how the game treats monsters. And in the review he mentions rather play with the "pokemon snap" mechanic capturing monster behavior and the locales.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RSM-HQ
@sakaixx said:

@RSM-HQ: oh man, forgot about that, everyone is a pro lol.

Honestly I just dislike how misleading that negative was, World is the most accessible entry in the mainline Monster Hunter series. It's a good entry point (shown by sales) and the GameSpot review made it come across as 'hardcore only, avoid'.

While MH is no means an easy game series, MHW is manageable even at end-game. My guess is the reviewer didn't do well against the double Bazelgeuse and Kirin tempered quests.

Carting a few times is fine and shouldn't be viewed a negative, it's all part of the process of learning. Some people apparently don't have the patience for a game-over/ failed screen.

Expecting to win flawlessly every time is not the mindset to go into any gaming series. And even then, compared to a lot of past MH game challenges; it's far, far more lenient.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23 GNS
Member since 2015 • 926 Posts

I don't even read the reviews anymore since... ~2010, I think. Just sometimes post something in the forums.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts

Games journalism has been getting pretty good this past decade. Stuff like Kotaku has been doing some great work reporting on the games industry.

Gamespot has devolved into clickbait, and their actual content is not much different than you'd get on another website that posted the same stuff hours earlier.

As long as you don't get your news from Youtube, you should be fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

They are all shills for ad revenue.

apkstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 apkstriker
Member since 2020 • 1 Posts

Honestly, I love action, arcade games. And find daily new games on google and found amazing gaming sites and games. So, we are happy to say I get one amazing website on google that website name is https://apkstriker.com.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

I find it hard to watch gameplay on known websites sometimes it's like they have never played a game before. The Doom 2016 springs to mind but DF and Eurogamer are my go to with a bit of gamespot.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1361 Posts

I just use gamespot and IGN, and sometimes listen to youtube videos while driving on the latest news for gaming.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#31 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3664 Posts

Giant Bomb