Help! I'm a scurdy kat! How scurry is RE7?!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58416 Posts

Just asking because I heard RE8 was toned down a bit and while I like scary movies, I have a tough time with scary video games. I mean I remember playing Doom 3 and being scared (yeah, I am lame...).

I can handle monsters and spooky atmosphere, it's mostly just cheap jump scares that get me, they're just not fun for me.

So I was just wondering if I should skip 7 and go for 8.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56256 Posts

I wouldn't go that far to say RE8 wasn't scary because there are some parts that really took me by surprise and that comes from the Dollhouse but that's another story for another time. Depends how you handle certain stuff being scare, I find RE7 to be scary in a sense because the Mold monsters is what really gets me and especially going to the basement and the Swamp. Going to Lucas’ section, the game isn't scary that much despite you'll run into more Mold zombies. Going to the shipyard, if you seen shipyard horror movies, this is what your gonna get, so take it what you will.

Although if you consider the stress and tension that occurs when I feel like I don't have enough ammo or a good way to deal with something as fear, then yeah, there was that, too.

@mrbojangles25 said:

I can handle monsters and spooky atmosphere, it's mostly just cheap jump scares that get me, they're just not fun for me.

To be fair part of horror is the fear of the unknown, a phobia or the delivery of an unexpected moment or event. When you've watched enough horror movies, played enough games or read enough horror literature you're likely to be more numb to it and can watch even the scariest stuff and be stone faced. Which is how I am with RE7 & RE8. Minor Spoiler: Remember the Dollhouse I mention in RE8? Later in that par, it gave me Stephen King's IT vibe and I was really scared cause the recent remake of the movie really scared the hell out of me, I don't like Clowns or Dolls for that matter. Funny I'm not scare of Chucky lol.

@mrbojangles25 said:

So I was just wondering if I should skip 7 and go for 8.

I can say you can skip RE7 and go straight to 8 cause RE8 has a recap on the story if you skip RE7.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25

@davillain-: right on, thanks for the rundown.

I installed RE7 anyway so I think I'm going to give it a few more tries, might just be a case of acclimating to the scares. After that I might go ahead with RE8 or try my hand at RE2 remake.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

RE7 at least the first half is pretty f#cked up I haven't played the game in a long time but I remember the game getting less scary the farther you get into it.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

@mrbojangles25: On my third playthrough of Resident Evil/ Biohazard: Village and will be frank_ this series reads like it's too much for what you can tolerate.

Moving onto some other notes; Village is a continuation of the story from VII. And Capcom plans to turn 7, 8, and the eventual 9 into a trilogy. Furthermore wouldn't listen too much from the zeitgeist, Village is an inferior game to VII (and this is from someone with many issues with VII). Village really wants to be Resi4, but not as enjoyable or well crafted. Cutscenes are common-place and narrow in what the player can do. Has more enemy variety and larger map areas over VII to fit the first person perspective better.

On horror. As a long-term fan of this franchise Resident Evil always had jump scares and has them since dogs jumping out windows in the original_

VII I would state is probably the second most scary game in the series behind the remake of original. The use of sound as well is designed to create scenes of tension, and as often as possible. VII has many problems that bug me, yet its attention to detail and overall horror is not one of them.

VII is heavy on jump scares, and quite a few, it is not just the enemies but how they set up scenes to make everything tense. Sometimes it can be as simple as objects moved when returning through an area to unnerve you. Many monsters will jump out for the "boo" effect though.

From a story outlook Village has a option to watch a brief sum-up of VII but skips over a lot of important details that will leave anyone new; wanting.

As @daVillain- mentioned Village does have one very spooky area that is probably the highlight of the whole game, as it is extremely well crafted. Play many Survival Horror games and it got my heart beating for the whole scene on my first run. I hope no one ruins it here for a while because it really is something best experienced blind.

Anyhow, overall Village feels like it lacks focus. It's still a fun ride, and that one brilliant section is great for a Survival Horror fan, yet not among the best Resi/ Bio has to offer.

Back on the first note think if jump scares are a no-no? this is not the game series for you.

Before someone gets the wrong idea, this is not me being an elitist Survival Horror fan, just honesty, these games don't fit everyone. Sure a few are more action heavy entries and Village is mostly a raw-shooter, however jump scares are still common-place, and more frequent than in a game like D00M III.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

RE7 is pretty much all gross out "Saw" gore and jumpscares. It's not as pathetic in that regard as games like Outlast 2 or Layers of Fear, but it's in that ballpark. RE8 is more atmospheric and less reliant on those. I'd tell you to watch a long recap of 7 on youtube and get 8 directly.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrbojangles25

@warmblur:yeah I've played the first 30 minutes or so and I'm just being so careful lol. I watched the first video tape where they did the whole Blair Witch standing-in-the-corner "Hey are you all righ---AH OH MY GOD WTF!" part. That wasn't scary for me. Honestly I think it's just knowing that at some point the jump-scare is going to happen and that's what gets me.

@Black_Knight_00 said:

RE7 is pretty much all gross out "Saw" gore and jumpscares. It's not as pathetic in that regard as games like Outlast 2 or Layers of Fear, but it's in that ballpark. RE8 is more atmospheric and less reliant on those. I'd tell you to watch a long recap of 7 on youtube and get 8 directly.

Right on, thanks for the info. I've watched a few short videos of RE8, definitely seems more atmospheric but Idunno.

Speaking of Outlast 2, is it good? You said it's kind of pathetic but is it good?

@RSM-HQ: right on, thanks! Think I'll give RE7 another go or two then see how I am doing.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34693 Posts

RE7 is like slow survival horror with jump scares and some shooting. RE8 is like RE4 in first person, with some RE7 stuff. If that helps.

I'm also pretty cowardly when it comes to horror, and RE8 is no problemo for me. RE7 was a bit much, so I just went straight to RE8. It gives you a short recap of what happened in RE7, so that's nice.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Depends on what you're looking for. When I say pathetic I mean the way it resorts to the cheapest possible forms of scare: the jumpscare and ultragore. If you like most modern horror movies then yeah Outlast could please you, it's not a bad game mechanically, it's just lazy horror.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2082 Posts

Most scary game I have played recently is Visage.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45299 Posts

I think RE7 was a response to PT Trailer which was hella scary. Now that people don't really want that kind of thing, they went to more traditional RE.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RSM-HQ

@SolidGame_basic said:

I think RE7 was a response to PT Trailer which was hella scary. Now that people don't really want that kind of thing, they went to more traditional RE.

I do not know how far you are in Village but a section of the game is very inspired by P.T. and many talking about spoilers have agreed it's the highlight of the whole game.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

7 and 8 both have their jumpscare moments but I wouldn't say that either of them are games that overly rely on them. That's more for games like Outlast that don't frankly have as much meat on their bones so they have to rely on gimmicks like that. RE8 is probably less scary as it gets a bit heavier on the action in parts but it also varies the tone from section to section in really interesting ways. Some parts lean into the horror aspect, others action, and others combine both.

I remember RE7 being the more unsettling of the two games for me, but that's in part due to the relentless nature of the setting. Village gives you more breathers by varying the environments and tone a lot more.

Personally, I'd recommend RE7 first then RE8 but I'd understand if RE7 is too much. RE8 might be more palatable.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

@RSM-HQ: I just beat the game. I know what you're talking about, and I agree, it's one of the best experiences in the game!

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RSM-HQ
@SolidGame_basic said:

@RSM-HQ: I just beat the game. I know what you're talking about, and I agree, it's one of the best experiences in the game!

Village has a few good moments but from what I've read many agree that's the standout section of the game.

Overall has a few moments, however am less inclined to keep playing the game personally. Too focused on spectacle for its own good in my view, makes replayability feel quite hollow.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

@RSM-HQ said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Village has a few good moments but from what I've read many agree that's the standout section of the game.

Overall has a few moments, however am less inclined to keep playing the game personally. Too focused on spectacle for its own good in my view, makes replayability feel quite hollow.

I agree with you. There are some stand out moments in the game, but there are also some very derivative moments too. Particularly the action sequences where it's mindless shooting to get from point A to point B.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RSM-HQ
@SolidGame_basic said:

I agree with you. There are some stand out moments in the game, but there are also some very derivative moments too. Particularly the action sequences where it's mindless shooting to get from point A to point B.

Think you nailed my main complaint perfectly SolidGame, while I do not mind a good shoot-out with some thought, this game doesn't do that. Village has a very redundant way of handling these sections, doesn't allow much experimentation and comes down to doing the same thing for the same scenario. While more open in level design to VII, the actual method of gameplay is extremely linear. They are also 80% the game outside the very forceful slew of cutscenes.

Take the big village rampage at the beginning as example, it wants to be Resident Evil 4 so badly, without quite capturing why that section is so good in 4. Also teases an enemy type that we never get in the playthrough 'horsemen'.

With that I think Village handled ammo and crafting perfectly. A good balance with the Chem-Fluid for healing and ammo resources.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidGame_basic  Online

@RSM-HQ said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Think you nailed my main complaint perfectly SolidGame, while I do not mind a good shoot-out with some thought, this game doesn't do that. Village has a very redundant way of handling these sections, doesn't allow much experimentation and comes down to doing the same thing for the same scenario. While more open in level design to VII, the actual method of gameplay is extremely linear. They are also 80% the game outside the very forceful slew of cutscenes.

Take the big village rampage at the beginning as example, it wants to be Resident Evil 4 so badly, without quite capturing why that section is so good in 4. Also teases an enemy type that we never get in the playthrough 'horsemen'.

With that I think Village handled ammo and crafting perfectly. A good balance with the Chem-Fluid for healing and ammo resources.

Yes! I pretty much disliked all Lycan sections lol. They were all the same and as an enemy type, they're boring. All they do is throw hordes of them at you. And like you said, these shooting sections aren't particularly fun or interesting. Maybe it's because the RE style of gunplay just isn't suited for that horde mode type gameplay.

I do like the crafting and I like that they got rid of the storage boxes. Never really liked having to manage inventory. One thing I'm so so on is the Merchant. Cool character, but it kind of takes the survival horror aspect of the game when you can just buy stuff.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RSM-HQ

@SolidGame_basic: Lycans move in a pretty cool way yet as noted also found them to get very boring, not really enough diversity compared to past main monsters, they got old pretty quick.

As wolf men I expected them to be a little more primal in how they go about areas. Outside swaying a bit, they're just a hybrid of plagas. And they taunt a lot which comes across as patronizing. Though, slightly more interesting than a molded from VII in my opinion. Which come across as mediocre regenerators.

I like The Duke as a character, though I felt he was too involved with the plot. Reason Merchant works in 4 because Merchant isn't really involved with the overall arc, he's just a gameplay system with some banter. The Duke would have benefitted with being less of a constant plot device. The Duke got more done in Village than Chris Redfield when one thinks about it.