Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zuon
Member since 2008 • 505 Posts

Remember in the early to mid-2000s how every new major FPS had some form of system where you could interact with vending machines and computer screens within the game's world? Whatever happened to that? Other than the occasional Deus Ex sequel every once in a while, have there ever been any more modern titles that have more to do in the world than just shoot things?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

@Zuon: Yakuza/ Ryū ga Gotoku as a gaming franchise prides itself on interactive objects and mini games. Shenmue III wasn't too long ago and also has very similar interactive world.

Graven showcased to offer a lot of interactivity, but right now that game is going through some development hell.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts
@girlusocrazy said:

@Zuon: Check out Half Life Alyx, that shows where games should be going in this aspect

That moment when in the first minute you could pick up a marker and draw on the glass.

Mind. Blown.

And it got even better after that. VR is the way forward.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@girlusocrazy said:

@Zuon: Check out Half Life Alyx, that shows where games should be going in this aspect

That moment when in the first minute you could pick up a marker and draw on the glass.

Mind. Blown.

And it got even better after that. VR is the way forward.

Loading Video...

That's awesome VR doesn't get enough credit for stuff like this it's something that HL:A did amazing job with. Also the interactivity VR brings to LA: Noire makes the game so fun to mess with.

Loading Video...
VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I mean you could pick up a marker in Duke Nukem Forever and draw/write on a chalkboard also...is it really that impressive?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

@vfighter said:

@mrbojangles25: I mean you could pick up a marker in Duke Nukem Forever and draw/write on a chalkboard also...is it really that impressive?

Yes, it is.

Have you tried VR yet? Or recently? It's damn impressive.

It might not seem that way on paper or when you reduce it down to the example you gave, but having your real-life movements mirrored in a game is incredibly immersive.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@vfighter said:

Yes, it is.

Have you tried VR yet? Or recently? It's damn impressive.

It might not seem that way on paper or when you reduce it down to the example you gave, but having your real-life movements mirrored in a game is incredibly immersive.

I actually had a similar thing happen in Alyx when I was still learning and didn't have 100+ hours of replaying it over and over. A heavy trooper was firing at me and I was behind two barrels. I held the top barrel in place to keep his gunfire from knocking the stack over while I fired back between volleys. I ran out of ammo and took my hand down to reload but without the additional support the barrel knocked over and I got shot. It was a pretty funny moment.