DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 343 Posts

AC Mirage has now been cracked. There are links that allows you to download the game and play for free.

So, why the heck companies keep on implementing DRM protection that requires internet to play, degrades performance, and causes inconvenience for gamers who purchase it.

I mostly purchase AAA games to support developers. But DRM games are a big no for me.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

LOL No.

Two reasons:

1. Doesn't work to deter piracy.

2. Only acts as an inconvenience to the legitimate consumer.

@danishanwar said:

I mostly purchase AAA games to support developers. But DRM games are a big no for me.

If you want to support developers, don't buy AAA games.

The industry won't get better if you keep giving money to publishers. Publishers will still fire developers and shutter studios no matter how much money you give them.

Buy independent or games developed by smaller studios. There's a lot more variety and, despite their lack of AAA budget, I'd argue the quality (in terms of art direction and gameplay) is much better. They're just not as sexy as AAA.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

As mentioned above, no. DRM is not in the benefit of customers, regardless how they want to spin it.

I use GoG when it comes to P.C. more than not so DRM is a none issue anyway.

@mrbojangles25 said:

The industry won't get better if you keep giving money to publishers. Publishers will still fire developers and shutter studios no matter how much money you give them.

Buy independent or games developed by smaller studios. There's a lot more variety and, despite their lack of AAA budget, I'd argue the quality (in terms of art direction and gameplay) is much better. They're just not as sexy as AAA.

Varies on publisher, if someone is buying from Activision, EA, Ubisoft on the regular? sure they are buying garbage usually and they are low quality. Honestly those that only really buy from this group of publishers deserve what they get for having low standards and eat up marketing campaigns.

Nintendo & Capcom (for example) offer great quality games. And I do enjoy a good indie game too but those two make excellent video games, and on the regular.

& in recent events Activision & Ubisoft in particular? Disgusting. Who is buying this trash?!

An argument could be made that EA is getting better but the policies they have in place are still disgusting.

Simply put if your fed up with a publisher or developers policies & methods? stop supporting them. AAA however as a whole is not the issue here. Just a portion of it.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 343 Posts

Agreed 100 percent, especially regarding Ubisoft.

With Avatar Way of Frontiers, the company has not only implemented DenoVo but also require an online connection to install and play the game.

Will the patch server be available 10+ year in the future? It's better to pirate such games. GoG games are the best as no such nonsence. They are pro-consumer and we need to support such companies instead of Steam and Epic.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

I don't think implementing DRM in your game makes sense unless it's worth it. DRM costs a lot of money and can have a negative impact on performance. Only way I see a company implementing DRM with those risks in mind is if said company gets more money from doing so.

So I guess they earn enough more money implementing DRM, making it difficult for people to pirate the game for a couple days, than they would without DRM.

For us gamers, it's just 100% bad.

@mrbojangles25 said:

1. Doesn't work to deter piracy.

I know what you mean, all games get cracked. But those few early days of game releases seem to be really important for sales. So yes, if DRM forces people to either buy the game or wait a few days for a crack, it works.