NPD March - PS4 7 million -XOne 5 mil - Obamacare 8 mill

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

More numbers to come out later.

UPDATE #1: PS4 still wins the month despite all those cheap bundles and sales that effectively made the X1 less than $350.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-04-17-titanfall-tops-chart-but-ps4-leads-hardware-again-in-march-npd

Just saw this on gaf lol. NPD really brings out the best in people.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

lol Wow. I thought for sure that Xbox One would get enough of a boost in March from Titanfall and price-cuts to be the top selling system. Looks like MS will have their work cut out for them this gen.

Pretty great list of games though in that top ten. Love Titanfall, Ghosts, Ground Zeroes, Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster, and Minecraft. I still need to get Dark Souls 2 soon.

Ada-Wong-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Ada-Wong-Fan
Member since 2012 • 69 Posts

Noone wants Kinect 2.0 spying on you

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 S0lidSnake

Notes:

• -Xbox One attach rate: 2.9
  • -Xbox One software: 1.4 million
  • -Xbox 360 software: 2.7 million

-Titanfall was the top-selling game for the month, launching for Xbox One and PC on March 11. It is the second-highest selling game for Xbox One after just one month on the market.

Hardware:

• PS4: Best selling platform.
  • Xbox One: 311K
  • Xbox 360: 111K
trfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 trfe
Member since 2004 • 35 Posts

Xbox one is 2 million behind ps4 worldwide and with a $100+ price tag and with the ps4 is in about 30+ more territories.

Come September when xbox one launches all over things will even out quickly.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 S0lidSnake

@trfe said:

Xbox one is 2 million behind ps4 worldwide and with a $100+ price tag and with the ps4 is in about 30+ more territories.

More than 2 million. PS4 is 7 million sold to customers. X1 is 5 million shipped to customers.

They had shipped 3.9 million by the end of December 2013. Which means they have only shipped 1.1 million in 3.5 months since. The demand is extremely low.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/microsoft-releases-xbox-one-exact-sales-numbers/#!EEB0u

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

Holy shit.

Damn you solid!

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 S0lidSnake

lol the thing is TitanFall was supposed to be their CoD. Their savior. What else do they have coming until Fall 2014? Thats six months of nothing except for Watch Dogs and Destiny which will/have be/been marketed as PS4 games.

A good E3 wont save them either. Unless they have a bunch of summer games lined up which they likely dont because nothing has been announced so far.

A Kinect less $350 version will probably move consoles but they need to come out with games as well.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@trfe said:

And what make you think that X1 will sell 2mill more than Sony in a area where Sony has their big market, plus the fact that its not like people havent been able to get a X1, it just havent been with Local languages which is something that can be fixed with a software update.

So i think we will have a situation like last gen with Xbox360 vs Ps3 where X360 had the lead a long time.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

"PLEH", I don't get it :P

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Its cool to see FFX up there and Minecraft is a beast. Like I've said before, I think games which foster the creativity of players are going to be huge.

Its crazy that Dark Souls is now a bigger franchise than MGS. I think Kojima needs to give MGS a rest and try something new (once he's done with the other MGS game he's in the middle of making) or revive Snatcher or ZOE or something.

I can't feign shock at the console numbers though it could have gone either way. Titanfall sounds like a quality game for CoD fans, but CoD fans' dance card seems to be filled by well, CoD.

I'll be deeply shocking if MS doesn't announce a hundred dollar pricecut at or before E3. That is all they can do in the short term (though it might not be enough). It will be interesting to see Sony and MS's E3 line-ups. No doubt MS will buy console exclusivity for something big. Maybe that Chris Roberts space game?

I really hope the rumors about Drive Club hitting this summer are true. That's a good window to release quality mid-tier games which might otherwise get crushed by megafranchises like CoD, AC and what have you.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I really hope the Xbone gets a price drop of $100 around the holiday season, or early next year, because I'll be needing a second system to take the place of my unsupported Wii U.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

@dvader654 said:

@CarnageHeart said:

Its crazy that Dark Souls is now a bigger franchise than MGS. I think Kojima needs to give MGS a rest and try something new (once he's done with the other MGS game he's in the middle of making) or revive Snatcher or ZOE or something.

Oh come on , its not a full MGS game but yes I thought it would sell more. MGSV will be monsterous though. And no he doesn't need to make anything else, judging by GZ MGSV will be another masterpiece.

I wouldn't jump the gun on that conclusion. MGS games are NOT perfect nor are they masterpieces (only in the minds of some and that's a very subjective point of view, NOT a fact).

Avatar image for Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Enfamous_Mr_BHC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts

time for that price drop at E3? But will that force Sony's hand to drop price too? I don't see any short term strategy that MS can do to even gain ground on Sony.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

UPDATE #1: PS4 still wins the month despite all those cheap bundles and sales that effectively made the X1 less than $350.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-04-17-titanfall-tops-chart-but-ps4-leads-hardware-again-in-march-npd

Is this really the title of this thread? And the GIF? This is the kind of crap that should stay in GAF and System Wars. But considering the brains behind the operation here, I cannot say that I am surprised.

Now on to the discussion at hand. Is anyone really surprised that the PS4 outsold the Xbox One in March by 60,000 consoles? I am not and why would I be, considering that TitanFall is also available on the Xbox 360. Having TitanFall on the Xbox 360 has potentially hurt the Titan boost to the Xbox One. What is the incentive to upgrade to an Xbox One, if you own a 360? Why would you pay $499 when you could pay $60 for arguably the best game of 2014? You would not.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bigboi500

@Areez said:

Why would you pay $499 when you could pay $60 for arguably the best game of 2014? You would not.

... the ****?

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Areez

@Bigboi500: What a thoughtful response. Perhaps I should elaborate for you. Titanfall to date, is one of the most critically acclaimed games of 2014.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bigboi500

@Areez said:

@Bigboi500: What a thoughtful response. Perhaps I should elaborate for you. Titanfall to date, is one of the most critically acclaimed games of 2014.

Critical acclaim =/= best game by default. There are so many potential GOTYs for 2014, to prematurely give it to a bare bones MP-only game is ridiculous.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By S0lidSnake

@Metamania said:

@dvader654 said:

@CarnageHeart said:

Oh come on , its not a full MGS game but yes I thought it would sell more. MGSV will be monsterous though. And no he doesn't need to make anything else, judging by GZ MGSV will be another masterpiece.

I wouldn't jump the gun on that conclusion. MGS games are NOT perfect nor are they masterpieces (only in the minds of some and that's a very subjective point of view, NOT a fact).

huh? lol meta you really come up with some hilariously odd posts sometimes.

Where did vader say that it is a fact? Or that it's perfect? Why did you have to point out it's not a fact? Isn't that assumed whenever we talk about a response to video games? or movies? or books? or everything that's art.

Have you played the past four mgs games? I know you didnt own a PS3 so you likely haven't played MGS4. Have you played Ground Zeroes?

Sorry if I am coming off as harsh. I like you, but your post is a head scratcher. You claim MGS games are not masterpieces without giving any evidence contrary to the claim. You claim it's a masterpiece only in the minds of 'some' yet all the critics combined to give the games an average of over 90.

MGS1 - 94
MGS2 - 96
MGS3 - 91
MGS4 - 94

There there is the user reaction which we can get using only Gamespot's user reviews. Seeing as how metacritic user reviews are hacked by fanboys.

MGS1 - 93
MGS2 - 93
MGS3 - 94
MGS4 - 94

It doesn't look only some think it's a masterpiece. It seems pretty universal to me.

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

The way I look at it is that both consoles are doing very well, it's just that the PS4 is doing exceptionally well.

As a proud owner of both consoles, I'm glad they're both selling. The more consoles out there, and the quicker they get into people's homes, the more and better games that will come.

Both are awesome machines that will offer awesome experiences making both of them well worth owning, at least for me.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CarnageHeart

@S0lidSnake said:

@Metamania said:

@dvader654 said:

@CarnageHeart said:

huh? lol meta you really come up with some hilariously odd posts sometimes.

Where did vader say that it is a fact? Or that it's perfect? Why did you have to point out it's not a fact? Isn't that assumed whenever we talk about a response to video games? or movies? or books? or everything that's art.

Have you played the past four mgs games? I know you didnt own a PS3 so you likely haven't played MGS4. Have you played Ground Zeroes?

Sorry if I am coming off as harsh. I like you, but your post is a head scratcher. You claim MGS games are not masterpieces without giving any evidence contrary to the claim. You claim it's a masterpiece only in the minds of 'some' yet all the critics combined to give the games an average of over 90.

MGS1 - 94

MGS2 - 96

MGS3 - 91

MGS4 - 94

There there is the user reaction which we can get using only Gamespot's user reviews. Seeing as how metacritic user reviews are hacked by fanboys.

MGS1 - 93

MGS2 - 93

MGS3 - 94

MGS4 - 94

It doesn't look only some think it's a masterpiece. It seems pretty universal to me.

Review scores don't mean much. There was a massive backlash against MGS2's many design flaws. Even Kojima acknowledged the problems and the backlash and MGS3 was a much stronger game for it.

Also, there is no better indicator of a franchise's popularity than its sales. You can't just say 'Wonderful 101 got great review scores! Obviously everyone loves it!' you have to look at sales numbers, discussions, developer post-mortems and sales of the direct sequel.

So let's look at the sales numbers. MGS is a crossgen franchise whose latest iteration sold less than 280K copies in the US (60% of them on the PS4 because almost nobody buys games on last gen consoles nowadays for whatever reason). Dark Souls 2 appeared only on those last gen consoles almost nobody buys games for and handily outsold it. If you think the MGS franchise is in great shape and universally loved, let's just agree to disagree.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CarnageHeart

@Areez said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Is this really the title of this thread? And the GIF? This is the kind of crap that should stay in GAF and System Wars. But considering the brains behind the operation here, I cannot say that I am surprised.

Now on to the discussion at hand. Is anyone really surprised that the PS4 outsold the Xbox One in March by 60,000 consoles? I am not and why would I be, considering that TitanFall is also available on the Xbox 360. Having TitanFall on the Xbox 360 has potentially hurt the Titan boost to the Xbox One. What is the incentive to upgrade to an Xbox One, if you own a 360? Why would you pay $499 when you could pay $60 for arguably the best game of 2014? You would not.

Maybe, but I doubt it. MS pushed back the X360 version of Titanfall, showed nothing of it and said nothing as (ridiculous knowing Blue Point) rumors about it being crappy circulated.

Its just as likely that the many Titanfall buyers bought the Xbox One even before March. Remember, at the Xbox One's launch MS was featuring Titanfall in tv ads.

Its also worth keeping in mind that CoD has left a trail of bodies behind it this gen. Like WoW the community constantly plays the latest game up until the next one hits so its not like with an single player game where people eventually finish it and then start looking around for something similar.

fishpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 fishpockets
Member since 2014 • 361 Posts

Wow 10K for Vita is pathetic. 70K for Wii U is also pretty pathetic.

It's amazing that both Sony and Nintendo have a platform that is highly success and a platform that's a complete disaster.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CarnageHeart

@dvader654:

Konami hasn't done a lot to help the Metal Gear brand in recent years (MGS4 was six years ago). There is a Platinum DMC type game with a nodding relationship with the main games (whose numbers were a fraction of those real MGS games used to put up) and now a wildly overpriced demo (whose numbers are once again a fraction of those real MGS games used to put up).

If Konami were bright they would have sold Ground Zeroes at a lower price (giving people unfamiliar with the franchise an attractive entry point) instead they chose to milk their most faithful by charging a ridiculous price for Ground Zeroes (penny wise and pound foolish).

While I'm on a rant, I remember Kojima talking about his willingness to be controversial, and based on some of what I have read, Ground Zeroes includes some stuff that would be very controversial back before the media and gamers became inured to some developers' desperate attempts to court controversy.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

I Wouldn't call 4.2 million xbox one's sold a failure . I call it " being in the second place " .

both are selling well but PS4 is doing better .

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By S0lidSnake

I have updated the thread title to include LTD numbers to avoid any kind of controversy.

Yes, it's true. Obamacare wins the console wars.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 S0lidSnake

@CarnageHeart

The massive backlash against MGS2 was due to Raiden and the awful story. The design was sublime. The game is still considered one of the best of all time. Even after 12 years, the user rating is still 93.

Ground Zeroes is a $30 demo. How many 1 hour demos sell for $30 and still make the top 10? This was not marketed as a full game either.

No MGS game is perfect. MGS2 had the biggest backlash due to Snake having a secondary role, but MGS1,3 and 4 all had design issues. MGS1 had awful 3rd person shooting. MGS3 had an awful third person camera that worked well in the indoor enviornments in 1&2 but completely broke down in MGS3, and MGS4's last three chapters totally ignored the premise of the Stealth during War battles.

Yet, the games still sell millions and still win GOTY awards. The last mainline MGS game got more GOTY awards than GTA4 and LBP. It has a 94 on metacritic. It won GOTY on most forums including GGD and GAF. Every single trailer for MGSV has ignited a firestorm of speculation. So yes, the franchise is in great shape. Maybe not loved by every single human being on the planet, but a 94% of them. No need to agree to disagree. These are simple facts. The numbers speak for themselves.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

So this month saw the largest gap between the two consoles since launch. That is pretty mind blowing, I can't imagine how much MS spent on marketing not to mention being a free pack in with Titanfall and a discounted Xbone. You could not go 2 seconds without seeing a Titanfall ad on the internet or tv. April is going to be super interesting now that MS biggest ace in the hole is has passed.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CarnageHeart

@S0lidSnake said:

@CarnageHeart

The massive backlash against MGS2 was due to Raiden and the awful story. The design was sublime. The game is still considered one of the best of all time. Even after 12 years, the user rating is still 93.

Ground Zeroes is a $30 demo. How many 1 hour demos sell for $30 and still make the top 10? This was not marketed as a full game either.

No MGS game is perfect. MGS2 had the biggest backlash due to Snake having a secondary role, but MGS1,3 and 4 all had design issues. MGS1 had awful 3rd person shooting. MGS3 had an awful third person camera that worked well in the indoor enviornments in 1&2 but completely broke down in MGS3, and MGS4's last three chapters totally ignored the premise of the Stealth during War battles.

Yet, the games still sell millions and still win GOTY awards. The last mainline MGS game got more GOTY awards than GTA4 and LBP. It has a 94 on metacritic. It won GOTY on most forums including GGD and GAF. Every single trailer for MGSV has ignited a firestorm of speculation. So yes, the franchise is in great shape. Maybe not loved by every single human being on the planet, but a 94% of them. No need to agree to disagree. These are simple facts. The numbers speak for themselves.

MGS2's design was a disaster. The areas one wandered through (once one got past the bit showcased in the demo)were utterly boring, the villains were unmemorable and the last boss battles sucked.

I completely agree that MGS trailers (including those of Ground Zeroes) cause lots of speculation on the internet. Clearly being heavily discussed on the internet doesn't necessarily translate into sales. No need to argue. Numbers don't lie :).

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@kinectthedots: Bringing System Wars terminology outside of System Wars is strictly forbidden.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Areez

@dvader654 said:

@Areez said:

EVERYBODY predicted the Xbox would beat PS4 this month. Sony predicted Xbox would beat the PS4 this month. Come on, this is the most shocking NPD in a while. There were bundles, price drops, Titanfall given away for free and Xbox One sold LESS than it did last month week by week.

And yes this thread needs to be like this, its nice to have life in these forums. Its video games, lets have fun.

@Metamania said:

@dvader654 said:

@CarnageHeart said:

The classic everyone else is wrong and I am right opinion. :P

Dvader....Yes, people did assume that the Xbox One would outsell the PS4 in March. Most of those assumptions came from gaming forums and Xbox One fanboys. The Xbox One suffers from the perception of being less powerful, and being $100 more and its first must have execlusive is also available to the Xbox 360 user base. When manufacturing a product, like the Xbox One, the easiest consumer base to tap into, is your previous user base. So lets be honest here, given the perception of the Xbox One, the $499 price tag, and the fact that Titanfall is also available on the Xbox 360, where is the incentitive to make an investment in an Xbox One, to play TitanFall? Their is none.

Or think of it like this....What percentage of Xbox 360 owners are willing to make an investment in a platform that is $499 for an exlusive that is also availble at $60 to them. $60 vs $499 dollars..which figure is most attarctive here?? So wthout a doubt, gamers held out for TitanFall on the 360 rather than ugrading.

What is a bit shocking to me is this figure below....

PS4 - 2.91 million

XB1 - 2.53 million

Considering the image problem of "less powerful", resolution gate, and being $100 more expensive, The Xbox One is keeping it close in the U.S.

And by the way, I do not have a problem with these types of threads. It is the delivery of the thread that is childish and invites System Wars behaviors. No reason why a perfectly mature adult should come up with childish thread titles and GIFS.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Areez

@CarnageHeart said:

@Areez said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Maybe, but I doubt it. MS pushed back the X360 version of Titanfall, showed nothing of it and said nothing as (ridiculous knowing Blue Point) rumors about it being crappy circulated.

Its just as likely that the many Titanfall buyers bought the Xbox One even before March. Remember, at the Xbox One's launch MS was featuring Titanfall in tv ads.

Its also worth keeping in mind that CoD has left a trail of bodies behind it this gen. Like WoW the community constantly plays the latest game up until the next one hits so its not like with an single player game where people eventually finish it and then start looking around for something similar.

Regardless of MS pushing back TitanFall on the 360, the 360 did eat away at potential new customers to the Xbox One platform. $499 vs $60, which price point is most attractive to someone who owns a 360? MS should have made the game an execlusive for the Xbox One only. And I agree to your point, that some gamers did purchase an Xbox One in February, in anticipation of TitanFall, which could explain strong Feb numbers for the One.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@Areez: Henry, honestly I don't see the problem. He's just incorporating tongue in cheek humor to give the forum a little personality, which is needed since the forum is borderline dead lately. The gif is silly and funny, like most of the gif stuff gaf makes. Now when/if people who don't know the culture of this forum come in with the animal farm garbage, we'll show them the door.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@S0lidSnake: That's very funny I like that! At first I thought Sony had it cut out for them but they pulled through. Microsoft did al that bragging and for what.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Areez

@F1Lengend: Also keep in mind that the PS4 is available for purchase in 72 countries, while the Xbox One is only available for purchase in 13 countries.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CarnageHeart

@Areez said:

@F1Lengend: Also keep in mind that the PS4 is available for purchase in 72 countries, while the Xbox One is only available for purchase in 13 countries.

That's true but I doubt that MS letting Sony's cheaper, more powerful, better supported hardware build up a sizable lead in territories which have historically been more pro-Playstation anyway is going to end well for the Xbox One.

Remember how early on the take was that Sony scattering sales of the PS4 to so many countries while MS focused on ensuring a good supply for a handful of big countries (including of course the US) meant that Sony and MS were going to essentially replicate the X360/PS3 market, with Sony selling more systems on global basis but the Xbox selling more systems in the single biggest gaming market?

It hasn't worked out that way. Sony is winning even in the US and the UK (both markets where the X360 was way ahead of the PS3 in terms of installed base). Momentum is a real thing in the console market, so MS would be wise to do something to change the dynamics sooner rather than later.