Prices are going up, post sale monetization is now standard, games are broken at launch; what can be done?

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3108 Posts

Let me preface: the industry can charge whatever they want for video games, that is their absolute right. They can charge for DLC/MTX/loot boxes, it is perfectly legal, no one is forcing anyone to buy anything, and there is nothing wrong with making a profit (I would do it in a heartbeat if I could). But I won't defend broken games, whether I'm buying a $70 game or a $300,000 Huracan, they better function as promised from the start.

The worst recent trend is the standard MSRP has risen to $70 while post sale monetization has also increased. But I really don't see a solution. The best most effective and totally legal way to assault greedy corporations is to hit them in the wallet but that ain't happening. Gamers are not known for self control, self discipline, delayed gratification, etc. Gamers seem to believe their hearts will stop and they will pitch over dead if they stop gaming so all their whining will not prevent the vast majority of them to forgo buying games. The industry posts record profits every year which tells them that abusing the goodwill of their customers does not damage their bottom line.

Lastly, I cannot think of other hobbies that constantly try to reach into my pocket for more cash even after I have already bought the product. Titleist doesn't ask me for more money to keep using my clubs, I don't appreciate feeling like I'm getting played, so a lot less gaming for me from here on out.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 911 Posts

About 40 years worth of software is out there. Unless you don't like replaying games or playing "old" games

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 348 Posts

Quote: Gamers seem to believe their hearts will stop and they will pitch over dead if they stop gaming so all their whining will not prevent the vast majority of them to forgo buying games. The industry posts record profits every year which tells them that abusing the goodwill of their customers does not damage their bottom line.

Haha 😂 Great analysis. Gamers in general preorder and play any garbage thrown at them.

I know a gamer in a local online forum who preorders almost every game on PS even indie games, and then raves about the bugs, mostly AAA titles. I wait for these 'game testers' to check out the game before buying.

Talking about the price of $70 I believe it is justified if a game has a high budget and it's without game breaking bugs. I remember paying about the same for Sega games about three decades ago.

Personally, I think the money spent on games like RE4 Remake, SF6, and Spiderman 2 to be justified due to replayability element as I found them so good that I want to replay them again.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58351 Posts

Vote with your wallet.

• Don't pre-order. I don't think this can be overemphasized, but the whole business-side of the industry is now (and has been for some time) based on building hype, creating pre-orders, and under-delivering on the product side.
  • Don't pay for microtransactions, or at the very least don't pay for "malicious" mtx like cosmetic items or shortcuts (like gear unlocks, etc.)
  • Support smaller and independent developers. They make better games; seriously, they might not "wow" you most of the time like a huge AAA title does, but the gameplay is better.
  • Do not support AAA publishers.
  • Oh did I mention DO NOT PRE-ORDER?

Video games, imo, are as good as they have ever been. There is better gameplay, they look better, the community is as large as it has ever been. I don't think there's really a lot to be depressed about, you just need to practice some self-control and don't pre-order (I mean, why? There are hardly even any incentives to do so anymore), and don't buy stupid shit.

@GalvatronType_R said:

...But I won't defend broken games, whether I'm buying a $70 game or a $300,000 Huracan, they better function as promised from the start.

The worst recent trend is the standard MSRP has risen to $70 while post sale monetization has also increased...

I don't have much issue with the overall cost of a AAA game increasing to $70. I've been gaming for over 30 years and a new video game in the mid-90's cost $50, which is over $115 in 2024 dollars. I even remember some games cost $60 back then. All things considered I think we've actually been pretty lucky the price has remained so low.

I do agree though the trend of a.) bugs and poor quality, and b.) post-sale monetization is worrying. It's changed the industry into one where we'd get new IP's regularly and major publishers would take risks to one where they stick with one or two franchises and milk the hell out of them.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11672 Posts

Last game I bought 'broken' at launch was Callsto Protocol. And it was a piece of shit. Outside of that have found my purchases on discounts & very playable.

Got Dragon's Dogma II pre ordered. woop woop

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59031 Posts

Nothing, they get away with it in a loop.

Sad truth.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7  Edited By GNS
Member since 2015 • 922 Posts

What can be done? Sailing the seven seas when it comes to Ubisoft and company (AKA AAA+ games)...

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3108 Posts

@mrbojangles25: these are all great suggestions but they would need to happen on a wide scale and I don’t see it happening. As stated, gamers are not know for exercising control on their spending habits and the hype and lack of discipline gets them every time.

Like you, I have no problem whatsoever with the $70 standard price. I get that video games are getting more expensive to make, money doesn’t grow on trees, and that extra money has to come from somewhere. My issue is that despite the price hike, the amount of times the industry reaches into our pockets for more cash has increased to the point of standardization. But they wouldn’t do it if dumb sheep didn’t keep buying it.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#9 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3642 Posts

I wait for reviews as I learn my lesson buying games at launch Duke Nukem Forever years ago. Even with games not having features included like new game + at launch is sorta deal breaker. I know my brother bought The Callisto Protocol Collectors Edition last year and he could have waited for a sale though he is the type that buys games on release and pre-orders them.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1397 Posts

Solution: Travel back in time and kill Hitler when he was 12... or so...

yoporahh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yoporahh2
Member since 2023 • 5 Posts

There's an explosion of games nowadays. More stuff comes out in a year than could be completed in a lifetime. And there are a lot of smaller studios, or outright solo developers, who make pretty great stuff. Forget about Ubisoft, EA and Blizzard. There's no salvaging that end of the market.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1397 Posts

@yoporahh2 said:

There's an explosion of games nowadays. More stuff comes out in a year than could be completed in a lifetime. And there are a lot of smaller studios, or outright solo developers, who make pretty great stuff trash. Forget about Ubisoft, EA and Blizzard. There's no salvaging that end of the market.

Or...

"Here, have this miserable looking squishy cold egg roll from a chinese all you can eat buffet."

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 691 Posts

just never buy games at launch. That's what I always do. Not only benefitial for you, but sends a message.

jeffbuckley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 jeffbuckley1
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

Simple dont buy till its ready.

Like i was super hyped for the last star wars game but just knew it would have issues at launch.

So i always wait these days till its been patxjed and its on sale

If a game plans to release loads of dlc i wait till a complete edition is out and on mega sale as well.

The end result is i dont pay more than abput 20 for a game these days. Where as if games were fixed upon release and didnt go down the dlc route i would probably buy for 40 quid.

Would even maybe get the odd one brand new for 60.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I rarely buy games at launch anymore. My steam, gog, epic, etc libraries are full of games I still haven't touched so I don't feel compelled to buy anything at launch anymore. I usually wait until there's a sale and pick up the gold or ultimate or whatever they're calling it edition later on down the road for $10 or less.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

I just simply wait. I wait for deep discounts. I almost never buy a game at release anymore. Also vote with your wallet like the above poster said. Don't buy until they learn to make games like they used to. Now a days games are mostly crap and only a handful are worth playing.