sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sanghelle56
Member since 2017 • 502 Posts

By that, of course, I mean Greek, Japanese, and Norse. They've been the most milked since the first God of War started the trend.

Why not myth from Central Asian countries? Or African ones? Or Slavic? Canadian? American, even? o_o

Mankind is thousands of thousands of years old, and it's just weird that the Big 3 get all the attention in gaming. Greek myth games aren't even good, Japanese ones are all about Samurai and their myth refs are little more than Easter eggs, and Norse games feel like, "ok, you're a viking, go bore yourself by killing monsters and building village forts, the end."

Does anyone else feel this way?

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2475 Posts

Yeah, I feel that way about games set in Japan made by foreigners. But America is the most milked video game setting ever, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Even every other country makes games set in America. Why can't we have more outliers like Remember Me, a big budget French game set in Paris. All of Dontnod's games after that were set in America or London. If you're gonna use the real world, then why not once in a while use what you know about your mother country instead of going off what you've seen in American movies every time.

Native American might be cool, though. Before the Europeans came.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

Have to agree here. There are so many different mythologies throughout the world, but familiar stuff is what sells. I'm hoping Aztech: Forgotten Gods turns out well. That is a cool mythos.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#4 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

Egypt is over-played as well honestly.

Africa would be cool, beautiful art and culture from an outside perspective, but last I saw a big game try that was in Resident Evil 5, which was labelled as racist and offensive, so overall you cannot win.

The ones developers use are the ones they use to stay out of trouble. No one is going to defend Norse Vikings, they're heavily recorded as rapists and murderers.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Then by all means, go download Unreal Engine or Unity and make a game using some lesser known, lesser popular ideology. Most AAA titles are developed to maximize sales, so they're going to focus on what people are interested in.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts
@RSM-HQ said:

Egypt is over-played as well honestly.

Africa would be cool, beautiful art and culture from an outside perspective, but last I saw a big game try that was in Resident Evil 5, which was labelled as racist and offensive, so overall you cannot win.

The ones developers use are the ones they use to stay out of trouble. No one is going to defend Norse Vikings, they're heavily recorded as rapists and murderers.

This is true. Don't include Africa, you're a racist who doesn't want to include Africa. Include Africa and the same people will complain that the majority of NPCs you end up fighting are African. You really can't win with the woke PC crowd. You're going to be a racist whether you do or don't.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#7 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts
@eoten said:

This is true. Don't include Africa, you're a racist who doesn't want to include Africa. Include Africa and the same people will complain that the majority of NPCs you end up fighting are African. You really can't win with the woke PC crowd. You're going to be a racist whether you do or don't.

Pretty much,

Resident Evil 4 allows the player to kill the Spanish in Spain, and no one gives a care in the world.

They do the same in RE5 but base it in Africa and have you killing infected people of Africa, and suddenly it's a problem. Those that complain about these things are hypocrites. Same with those that have conflicting views on sex and violence in gaming.

Then again I'm a very all or nothing kind of person, censor everything or shut-up and allow anything that's not causing any 'actual' harm. It's annoying that creative freedom is basically dead at this point. One loud voice being offended isn't everyone else. And honestly we could do with less Neil Druckmann's having a say what is allowed in our video games.

Ottyandthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 Ottyandthedj
Member since 2020 • 113 Posts

That's true. Those kinds of origin stories have been around for awhile.