Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Lembu90
Member since 2015 • 665 Posts

I haven't write anything serious in this forum for months and this thread is my own personal response to Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries release, which fans waited for 18 years since the fourth game, Vengeance which came out in 2001. Last year we also got to see the release of its turn-based tactics spin-off, Battletech which spent many years of crowdfunding. We also got to see the release of Shenmue 3 which also went hiatus for very long time, almost two decades apart from previous game. Some other games won't be so lucky as they still went missing for long time and might not coming back anytime soon. This thread won't be mentioning the obviously dead franchises such as Grandia which its original creator died and Square-Enix wants the entire franchise to die with him. Don't expect to see some of my childhood favorites such as Bloody Roar and Mercenaries(Pandemic Studios) as their developers no longer exists. Other than that here's my list of game sequels that won't be coming despite how long I waited for them:

1. Front Mission 6

With the poor sales of the fourth game and the fifth game which came out 14 years ago without official English translation, the chances to see the proper sequel of Front Mission is zero. I deliberately not to bring Left Alive in this discussion because it is not a "proper" FM game but rather a shitty Metal Gear Solid clone takes place in FM universe and designed to cash-in MGS fans. The game itself is a huge, glorified advertisement for World of Tanks than anything else. FM game as an original, unadulterated turn-based SRPG like it previous entry will never see light of day due to lack of demand from consumers and lack of interest from Square-Enix itself. Its sad to know that some of the indie developers of Battletech and upcoming Phantom Brigade played FM games when they were kids and those probably the closest we can get to an original FM game. Perhaps there is no place for FM games anyway as its gap already filled with Super Robot Wars, SD Gundam G Generation, Battletech and someday Phantom Brigade today. Without FM, SRW and G Gen might stuck in Japan forever and Battletech might never existed.

2. Suikoden 6

Another game won't be coming in this generation despite its developer Konami still around. The last Suikoden game come out in 2006 and the most recent game bearing Suikoden game was its spin-off in 2008 for Nintendo DS. After 2006, most JRPG fans would rather play Final Fantasy and Persona games instead, leaving no room for Suikoden anymore. More importantly Konami decided to kill the entire franchise to make way for Metal Gear Solid and Winning Eleven games. In this generation, it safe to say that Suikoden is dead but its spirit lives in other games, especially indie ones.

3. Any more turn-based Final Fantasy

Why I decided to put FF in this article? We might not going to play the "good old" FF games anymore thanks to FFXV and FFVII Remake which features real-time hack-and-slash gameplay instead of classic turn-based with menu one which Square-Enix itself especially Tetsuya Nomura claiming it no longer fits to "modern graphics" anymore. At this point I'm not expecting FFXVI to be turn-based either given SE's own attitude towards it and lack of demand from consumers themselves. From what I heard from most other places the next FF game will feature a female protagonist and some permanent female party members as apposed to an all-male party of XV. It also will feature an actual romance instead of "bromance" of XV and other words, it is FFXIII "done right". If these rumors were true and I can expect one thing from it: It will no longer feature turn-based gameplay anymore. Perhaps most FF fans doesn't seems to care anymore if they still want to play classic turn-based JRPGs, they can play SE's own Dragon Quest series(although its real-time hack-and-slash spinoffs such as Heroes and Builders were aggressively marketed and hyped in the west better) as well as those made by other companies such as Persona and Trails of Cold Steel series instead. Some might said "hey, FFVII Remake will feature a turn-based mode!" but let's be realistic. It turns out to be an afterthought and most people will switch back to "original" hack-and-slash gameplay after few minutes trying the turn-based mode and will find "incredibly boring" in comparison, and this is what SE and Tetsuya Nomura himself wants.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7336 Posts

I hate to say this, but I have given up all hope of an Eternal Darkness sequel coming to fruition. Nintendo has no interest in the ip, a spiritual successor kickstarter failed, and the studio is now defunct due to missmanagement.

While I'm thinking of old gamecube games, Geist will never get another shot because I'm the only one who would even care.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

Hmm, noticed you like to rant about Final Fantasy Remake in a lot of your recent stuff. I don't research on Square Enix but hope it's actually factual stuff you're gathering, and not just internet rumors/ gossip.

@lembu90 said:

More importantly Konami decided to kill the entire franchise to make way for Metal Gear Solid.

Don't know if you are aware but Konami killed a lot of franchises outside of Suikoden. And even those that have been revived is closer to a slap in the face_

Though I too was a fan of those games, still think it's tough to blame MGS. When a glaring franchise; Pro Evolution Soccer is knowingly the real culprit. It is known developers shrank at Konami to extinction for keeping that soccer series consistent for yearly releases. PES team grew, everything else disappeared.

Suikoden got plenty of entries while MGS formed sequels. Based on sales, I would state Suikoden died because the last main entry sold horribly, and was a bigger budget than three and four. As such most the team started working on PES, while the rest seem to have left the company.

-

Anyway as for the thread, I feel lucky. Most my favorites have been revived to an extent outside the Konami bracket (well I got CastleVania/ BloodStained).

Dungeon Keeper 3 comes to mind. Though at least we have War for the Overworld working as a spiritual successor. Even referencing itself as a somewhat continuation from DK2.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Wing Commander 6

Tie Fighter 2

Full Throttle 2

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22401 Posts

Half-Life 3.

Gwynbleidd_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Gwynbleidd_91
Member since 2018 • 137 Posts

Based on the fallout (pun intended) between Obsidian and Bethesda, a direct continuation of the Fallout series after New Vegas is unlikely as it's been almost 10 years since that game.

Also, I'd take any followup to the Chrono Cross/Trigger series but that doesn't seem likely either. I see so many of these best games of all time lists every year and there's usually a mention of a Chrono game somewhere in there which means the demand is still there even though the last entry was 20 years ago.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#8 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I’m honestly not sure to be honest. I’m sure there’s sequel games that I want but most of the stuff that I am referring to were games on the PS2 and the companies have shut down since then. I’d like some HD remasters for games too but again, companies are no longer around.

Ethic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ethic
Member since 2019 • 32 Posts

Half Life 2 Episode 3
Zone of the Enders 3

Need that!!

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#10 nintendoboy16  Online
Member since 2007 • 41564 Posts

Beyond Good and Evil 2

Just admit it, Ubi. It's your DNF. Besides, probably for the best given the current political climate, because what was accepted in 2003 isn't now, sadly. Also, look at the outrage Farcry and Bethesda's Wolfenstein got.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@speeny said:

I’m honestly not sure to be honest. I’m sure there’s sequel games that I want but most of the stuff that I am referring to were games on the PS2 and the companies have shut down since then. I’d like some HD remasters for games too but again, companies are no longer around.

Maniac mansion day of the tentacle only got a remaster because the original dev (now doublefine studios) managed to get disney to give them permission to make it. They made pretty much nothing from it. If we are lucky we could see it happen agian.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nintendoboy16  Online

@judaspete said:

I hate to say this, but I have given up all hope of an Eternal Darkness sequel coming to fruition. Nintendo has no interest in the ip, a spiritual successor kickstarter failed, and the studio is now defunct due to missmanagement.

While I'm thinking of old gamecube games, Geist will never get another shot because I'm the only one who would even care.

Also this. Nintendo seems to be more interested in keeping SEGA/Platinum's Umbran Witch alive, rather than try again with ED.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Sleeping Dogs 2 F*** Square Enix for giving up on such a amazing open world game Sleeping Dogs is a unique gem that I still go back to, to this day. The characters are great, the fighting mechanics are really fun and brutal and the Hong Kong setting is refreshing. It's a damn tragedy that this game will never get a proper sequel the studio behind it United Front Games have dismantled. Square Enix are so stupid they don't know what a gem they had.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7336 Posts

@nintendoboy16: I think Beyond Good and Evil 2 will come out this time. But yeah, certain Reddit forums will get their balls in quite a twist about it.

Also, you're a Nintendo guy. Did you ever play Geist?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#15 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

So many, but I'll just say The Saboteur. I really enjoyed that game, even though it didn't do much to push the genre forward.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nintendoboy16  Online

@judaspete said:

@nintendoboy16: I think Beyond Good and Evil 2 will come out this time. But yeah, certain Reddit forums will get their balls in quite a twist about it.

Also, you're a Nintendo guy. Did you ever play Geist?

Didn't buy it until a couple years ago and didn't play much of it, but I like the idea of an FPA as a ghost possessing things.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9412 Posts

I really hope Chrono Cross isn't in this category.

We just passed the 20 year mark on Nov 18, 2019 - only silence.

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lembu90

@RSM-HQ: While it is true that Suikoden V flopped financially but there are some other factors I want to point at: Over-saturated market and rampant software piracy of that time. Grandia 3 was released a month earlier in February 2006 and when Suikoden V hit the shelves in March of the same year, most gamers don't have enough money to buy on launch and decided to wait few months more. Not to mention some big titles from major developers like Xenosaga Episode 3 and Final Fantasy XII also released in this year as well. It was the release of Persona 3 in Japan that put Suikoden series into the grave. With Konami allocated its manpower and resources to more PES games just like you said for many years later, it is safe to say that Suikoden franchise is dead. Sadly to this day it didn't get some sort of "spiritual successor" unless you count the extremely disappointing Legrand Legacy(which is a good game on its own).

Back to topic, I'm not surprised to find out nobody mentioned Legend of Dragoons, Sony's answer to Squaresoft's(now Square-Enix) Final Fantasy series. Sequels already planned before it was released but with the game itself flopped in Japan, it safe to say it was cancelled long ago. It sold better in North America and Europe though but it is already too late to save it.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#19 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

@lembu90: Konami never did a great job marketing Suikoden either.

It has been mentioned in interviews that Murayama Yoshitaka san had to put his own personal funds towards campaigning the Suikoden series in other forms of media just to try and keep the series relevant.

gripaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gripaddict
Member since 2019 • 28 Posts

Alan Wake

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts

Golden Sun 4 - I know the third one didn't live up to the expectation but I would love a sequel to see the conclusion of the storyline. Realistically the project for a sequel is dead and buried and us Golden Sun fans will never see the light of day. Even a remaster/remake of Golden Sun 1 and 2 would be splendid. *Cries*

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lembu90

I hate to spam this thread again but I just remembered an old fighting game series Rival Schools and its sequel Project Justice for PS1 and Dreamcast respectively. Project Justice came out in year 2000 and if Capcom announced a sequel someday, the game itself already 20 years old. This means only gamers in their late 20s and early 30s have some sort memories of it. At least one of its characters, Kyousuke had a cameo in Capcom vs SNK game which released later but the game itself went MIA ever since. Economic crash of late 90s/early200s, decline of arcade gaming in early 2000s, lack of demand from consumers are the some of the theories I can think of. I believe the game itself wasn't completely forgotten by Capcom and not too long ago one of the rejected new character designs for Street Fighter V looks like the soccer player in PJ.

Perhaps Capcom knew that if noboby demanding it, don't ever make it. Making a PJ sequel could be their major financial loss and this is the sad truth for a fan like me.