RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1352 Posts

I recently got super into not only Warhammer miniatures but the novels and lore as well, while looking for Warhammer games on the PS Store I saw this upcoming release:

https://www.focus-entmt.com/en/games/warhammer-40000-space-marine-2

First off the game looks dropdead gorgeous, I can’t get over how slick the graphics are, and the gameplay shown in trailers so far looks incredibly satisfying. Between this and the fact that there is a Warhammer series in the works between Henry Cavill and Amazon I picked a great time to get into the hobby. Anyone else excited for the release of Space Marine 2? I haven’t played the first one but I am going to try and buy a copy for my Xbox 360 to play for now.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

@ratchetclank92: Yeah WH40K is amazing. Looking forward to Space marine 2. First one was good but has not aged well, gameplay loop is a bit simple.

Boltgun is a good "boomer shooter" if you're looking for a Space Marine FPS to hold you over. Don't let the old visuals phase you; the gameplay is quite fun.

If you're looking for a good RPG to play in the meantime, I highly recommend Rogue Trader. It's from Owlcat, really good RPG developers.

There's also WH40K Darktide, a good co-op shooter.

On the strategy side there's the Dawn of War series (I would check out DoW 2; DoW 3 was meh and DoW 1 might be a bit dated now). There's also Gladius if you want a turn-based strategy.

As far as novels go, do you have any recommendations? I heard they can get a bit excessive in the explanations sometimes lol, but I've also heard some of them can get quite good. Bonus points if it's a series of novels, like Dune or Red Rising or Ender's Game.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1352 Posts

@mrbojangles25:

Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll be downloading Rogue Trader next week when I get back from my vacation, it looks like a sweet game as well.

As far as the novels, I’ve only read “Harrowmaster” so far, but it kept my attention throughout the book, I ended up finishing it in a few days. I’ve heard the Horus Heresy is a great series (the first 3 especially) to get more background on the history of the Warhammer universe, those will be my next reads.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

Yeah I'm looking forward to space marine 2. The first was good, simple arcade like shooter, kinda has a gears of War vibe to it. The mp was fun.

My introduction to warhammer was playing the 40k RTS games, Dawn of War as a kid.

I've read the first 2 books in hours heresy and enjoyed them. But because I'm a big fan of the Orks, I recommend this book over them.

It's the origin story of Ghaghkull Thraka, and it kicks major ass. Everybody loves the space marines, the imperium of man, but I gotta say.. the Orks are way more interesting in my opinion.

I hope the Amazon show doesn't blow.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6982 Posts

I'm super excited about Space Marine 2. Most 40k games are low budget cash grabs but this actually appears to have had some effort put into it. I wish they would remaster the first one because you can't find it anywhere on consoles

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SargentD

@silentchief: I have a 360 copy but it's not BC with SX, have to play it on 360. Best way to play it now is anniversary edition on steam, supports 4k and uncapped framerate, feels like a remastered version

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

@sargentd: Space Marines are dope, but I love the Orks, too. The more you learn about them, the more depth they have. They're the complete opposite of what they seem. I mean, yeah, they're dumb violent brutes but they're not like...malicious? I don't know how to explain. War is just their natural state. Peace is actually painful to them haha.

And they're fungi! And they have such power when amassed that apparently if they knew how they could more or less end the galaxy using their collective psychic power or something like that?

Orks lack individual psychic power, being denied such abilities by the Old Ones. However, they do have a sort of collaborative, collective psychic ability, meaning that if enough Orks believe something is true, then it will actually become so, brought into being in realspace through the power of the Immaterium by their gestalt psychic ability.

For example, Ork rockets painted yellow create bigger explosions, simply because the vast majority of Orks believe they do.

I love that.

It's just so much fun to me going on these deep dives, kind of surprised I haven't read the novels yet but I am motivated to do so now.

Didn't know they had Ork books but I guess I should be surprised. Do you know if they have any Tyrannid novels? I imagine those would be difficult to write from a Tyranid perspective but I'd take a _ vs Tyrannid book.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SargentD

@mrbojangles25: I don't think they have any from Tyrannid perspective but there are definently books that involve the nids heavily. But it's usually like the perspective of space Marines fighting them.

It would definitely be difficult to write one from that perspective, just too animalistic of creatures I don't think they have that kind of consusness or self awareness. They are like bugs, massive, flesh ripping, bug boys.

They cool, good entertainment for the Orks!!

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#9 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

Not really into War Hammer either and not interested in its wider storytelling or tabletop form, Vermintide II however was an amazing game. And Darktide has potential even if it is pretty bothersome and lacking any real variety.

Not sure on Space Marine 2. Boltgun is good for a D00M clone though, if yet again just lacking some variety.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1407 Posts

Day1... prbly. One of the last untainted franchises out there.