What are the longest game demos you've ever played?

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zuon
Member since 2008 • 505 Posts

I was recording footage for a Youtube Top 10 video on this before complications arose and I had to delete the footage. But during my partial recording process, here were my results: Every demo was played as "Any% runs" - attempting to naturally complete side quests before the demo eventually concludes and kicks me out.

The Witcher 1 Demo - Over 11 hours before completing the last story mission - 6 unfinished side quests remained.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 JUMBO Demo - Over 9 hours, completed the first major story goal, surprised to find there was still more. Hard Drive needed a reformat and my save file was lost. Abandoned.

The Evil Within 2 Demo - Between 7 to 8 hours, completed most side quests and stopped timer at the dead end.

I'd also recorded Dishonored 2 Demo footage, but that ended up on the short side, between 3 and 4 hours.

Bonus: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leaked Beta - Just over 6 hours, was unable to defeat end boss (I had a stealth build and this demo was before the turrets were added in the GOTY edition.)

The next demo on my list was going to be the Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor Demo, but as I had to wipe my drive and experienced hardships with several moves, poverty, and hardware instability, I gave up on the project.

If anyone wishes to continue where I left off, feel free! Some demos are so big, they leave one feeling satisfied without the need for buying the full game.

But In the mean time, what are the largest demos you guys have played?
Note: For this topic, please do not count older Shareware titles as demos. Thank you.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

Recent demo is DQ XI S, took me around 11 hours to finish the demo. Already played the base game on PS4 but played the demo on Switch as it is supposed to be the enhanced definitive edition.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I remember on the first Playstation, I played a demo a lot. Maybe cc3 demo too. In the case of cc3, I found the game someday.

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zuon

@sakaixx: Did you notice any apparent differences in the demo that weren't present in your original PS4 base playthrough?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

One of the Battlefield demos (I think it was BF 3?) had basically one map and then the entire game's content--all vehicles, classes, weapons, etc--in it. I played the hell out of that thing. I mean sure it was just one map but it was so much fun despite that because you had access to all the other content.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

@Zuon: visually it looks worst but its a non issue as its the switch version. When later that definitive edition ported to PS4 it retains the switch version visuals which may make some disappointed as original version was much prettier. In the demo you can select english or Japanese voice in cutscenes. Japanese audio is a first as original release in japan features almost no voice work at all.

Yama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Yama
Member since 2002 • 34151 Posts

Fun topic, good memories. RE4 Famitsu demo was by fair my most played, the hype around that game was unreal. My friends and I would take turns playing it in our own ways and setting different rule sets and such. After that perhaps the FFXV demo, as it let you level way up.

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zuon

@mrbojangles25: I definitely feel you there. My BF demo of choice was 1942, but when it comes to a demo that gives you endless replayability, Halo: Combat Evolved was my jam, before the GameSpy Arcade servers shut down and ruined everything. I still never got to play the Enemy Territory: Quake Wars demo without bots. I was a few years late to that one.

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zuon

@Yama: Any tips for that Final Fantasy XV demo? I'm trying to get into it, but it's pretty difficult to get invested without friends. I'm usually a single player guy, and anything more than Runescape 2 has been intimidating for me.

The only exception was Black Desert, which I enjoyed soloing, but the community there was just so... 4channy.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Max Payne 2 PC demo

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#12 RSM-HQ  Online
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

I must have played the Monster Hunter PS2 demo for over thirty hours at least on PS2. Still have the disc even now.

Same with Gamecube Resident Evil 4 demo, though probably closer to ten hours.

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zuon

@warmblur: That demo's short if you know what you're doing, but I agree that it's highly replayable. Especially since you unlock extra modes for completion.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23949 Posts

Does FFXIV's trial count? Well I didn't play that as I already had the game.

But the longest one otherwise would be the Dragon Quest Builders 2 Demo.