What do you think of the Lego series of games?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8782 Posts

I never really was a fan of Legos. But I see many of the Lego video games have great reviews. What is your experience with these games? Should I give them a try?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59178 Posts

Gave them a shot, not really my thing. But I did notice they seemed to show more enthusiasm for the IPs they are covering than the actual live action movies.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16021 Posts

I have played Lego City Undercover and Lego Star Wars. They are not my cup of tea, but I can understand why some people like them. They may be fun for kids, they're just not for me. If you run out of games to play and there happens to be a sweet deal on a Lego game, I suppose it could be a decent choice. Just bear in mind that these games are primarily for kids, so don't expect a stiff challenge.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#4 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3658 Posts

I played Lego Batman 2, Marvel Superheroes, Avengers, and Lego Batman 3 and enjoyed them. I tried Lego Jurassic Park and found it boring. I guess it would be fun for a kid to collect Legos and explore the world.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#5  Edited By Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2966 Posts

Lego Racers for N64/PS1 was pretty cool, otherwise I don't recall playing any Lego video games.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1137 Posts

They are janky, some are fun. I tried some of the earlier ones and couldn't get into them because they are kind of repetitive and button mashy. The stories were mostly pantomime versions of popular licensed properties' stories, and that seemed a bit too corny IMO.

Lego Batman 2 seems to be the point where they became more interesting, because there was an open world to explore and side activities and diversions when you didn't feel like doing the linear mission segments. But it was still too janky and not complex enough to hold my attention.

I never would have become endeared to any of them if it wasn't for me playing them with one of my kids who was obsessed with superheroes and customizing them by mixing and matching different pieces, choosing their colors, and assigning special powers.

There are about 4 or 5 of them that I enjoy. Batman 3, Marvel Superheroes, Marvel Avengers, The Force Awakens, Skywalker Saga, and Worlds.

Marvel Avengers and Force Awakens are probably the best ones.

These games have scenes and voices taken from the movies, so you have authentic voices which is very cool. These clips happen during gameplay, and cutscenes. Kids who play them can become familiar with these properties in an entertaining way for them when watching the movies would feel slow and dry for them, and I appreciate this because it allows me to share something, and I can also answer questions because I'm familiar with the franchises.

The gameplay is largely using preselected heroes with specific powers to solve puzzles in a mission. You are defeating enemies and collecting coins which can permanently unlock characters. It starts off linear until a certain point where a map opens up, allowing you to walk to different points which would allow you to start those linear missions. At that point you can go back into onto earlier missions you have cleared with unlocked characters that have different powers which allow you to unlock secrets in those missions that you couldn't have with the original pre-selected characters. The secrets can give you hidden characters to unlock, or enhancements such as $ multipliers (letting you purchase characters more quickly), extra health, hidden item detectors, and other stuff.

Outside the levels, in the open world, there are NPCs with special missions which let you unlock more of this type of stuff, or a cool set piece like fighting a giant Sentinel from X-Men.

These side missions usually are a lot of fan service, and can involve guest star voices from known actors and fantastic situations that fans would love but you would never see in a serious storyline, so if you are a fan of these properties, it is worth it for these alone.

In Batman 3 for example, they have a 60s Batman set piece with voice from Adam West, Batmite is in there, you fight 60s versions of all the villains and the gags are all authentic and feel lovingly crafted. You have to rescue Conan O'Brien at one point and he becomes available in the hub world. There's a Daffy Duck green lantern character with authentic voice. These are just dripping with fan service and made me glad I didn't miss these games.

Lego Force Awakens is great too if you've been dying to fly an X-Wing or Millennium Falcon again because we don't get enough good star wars games, and the visual quality when playing these sections is so good you might get flashbacks from the GameCube games and the gameplay is enjoyable, you wish they could have been able to make a serious game but this is pretty satisfying. The games' graphical quality can be impressive at times.

In Marvel Avengers, there is the biggest open map of any of them, and I got a lot of enjoyment exploring them for all of the fan service and diversions. There are so many Marvel characters with little side stories that allow you to enjoy and appreciate those characters.

There's just a lot to enjoy. If you're a fan or want your kid to get into these and share them with you, it is worth giving the best ones a shot.

Lego Worlds on the other hand is kind of its own thing where you can eventually build almost whatever you want out of virtual Lego. You go to randomly generated planets with things to unlock and collect. You have a gun that can scan and spawn whatever you find, and deform terrain, and build and paint. There is a lot of freedom. It has its own jank but there is fan service here for people who love Lego itself.

WB/Tt did a great job with these.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1137 Posts

I forgot Lego DC Villains which is an original story, maybe biggest open world of them all actually, and they highlighted polkadot man before everyone saw him in that movie with Harley Quinn. There is a lot of love here for DC fans.

I seriously can't believe I almost wrote off Lego games in general because of the button mashy fights and mid puzzles. I got past this and love the fan service, and just a great set of games to do co-op with friends for a non-serious time where you don't have to tryhard and can just have fun together.

Genuine enjoyment, great voices, cool scenarios, and good laughs.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44355 Posts

Played some of the Marvel ones and really enjoyed them. Pretty fun with a good sense of humour to them.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

Too easy and simple to be fun for me.

Foppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 Foppe
Member since 2004 • 5997 Posts

Lego Batman 2 is still the best Superman game.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

You're not really buying these games because they are great games, you're buying them because a.) you like the franchise, and b.) you like LEGO.

With that said, some are AFAIK (never actually played many of them, just dabbled) pretty good. I heard the SW Clone Wars games are pretty decent from a franchise standpoint and the gameplay is all right.