What gaming related book(s) do you have?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45285 Posts

Not sure why GS rotated my picture sideways lol, but here is an explanation:

1st picture has Nier Automata, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Super Mario Bros, Zelda Hyrule Historia (I have a couple others somewhere as well), Nintendo 64 Anthology, The Game Console, a book on Sega Master System, and another book on Sega Dreamcast. 2nd picture is my prized position - brand new copy of the art of MGS 1 - 4.

How about you, GD? Do you own any gaming related books? Or is that not your thing.

Tagging @R4gn4r0k who also loves collecting these.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11676 Posts

From games/ developers? hmm

Have three from Vanillaware, two from Biohazard/ Resident Evil, three from Makai Senki Disgaea (includes the new one from the Prinny Collection), one from Psycho Break/ The Evil Within, and eight from Monster Hunter.

*shared some of these in the past, can be found in my gallery.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 GNS
Member since 2015 • 923 Posts

None. I had some video-games magazines back in the days, though.

NukleaWorfair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 NukleaWorfair
Member since 2009 • 475 Posts

I remember I bought the Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 manual back in the day, showing you how to play the game. It was really useful. Even though I'd played the Pro Evo games since 1998. I learned a lot. So much that going online I'd pick Saudi Arabia, the worst national team, and the opposition would boringly pick Barcelona or Real Madrid and I'd be beating them 3-0 by half time. But they'd always leave the game every-single-time.

That's one of the reason I don't do online gaming anymore.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SolidGame_basic
@RSM-HQ said:

From games/ developers? hmm

Have three from Vanillaware, two from Biohazard/ Resident Evil, three from Makai Senki Disgaea (includes the new one from the Prinny Collection), one from Psycho Break/ The Evil Within, and eight from Monster Hunter.

*shared some of these in the past, can be found in my gallery.

😮 Where's your gallery?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RSM-HQ

@SolidGame_basic said:

😮 Where's your gallery?

Just my Game Spot image gallery. I'll put one of them up, which is from Dragon's Crown, seeing as that wasn't long ago_

Pardon the lack of posting photos from my others, a lot of my stuff is boxed at the moment. Do recall posting my Disgaea and MH books at one point.

Yes though, I love gaming books, namely the ones mentioned inside information about a games development and never shown artwork.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58408 Posts

Ready Player One, I guess? Though it's not about any specific game, just gaming (and entertainment) in general.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

I have a few D&D source books.

I have a Dark Souls Trilogy Compendium book thingy.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

I've read some gaming books in the past, namely the Halo books by Eric Nylund and some of the Mass Effect books. Lost track of them a long time ago though.

Lately I've been reading a lot of books in the fantasy genre.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic

@pyro1245 said:

I have a few D&D source books.

I have a Dark Souls Trilogy Compendium book thingy.

Pyro, you seem so familiar. I feel like we used to chat back in the old OT days. Maybe that was another Pyro lmao. But your account is from 2003, which makes me think so.

@darktruth007 said:

I've read some gaming books in the past, namely the Halo books by Eric Nylund and some of the Mass Effect books. Lost track of them a long time ago though.

Lately I've been reading a lot of books in the fantasy genre.

Oh, you read actual books. I mostly like art books lol.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Lol!

Forgot to mention I also own a digital book called Console Wars. They made a movie based on the book which was good in its own right but the book has way more in depth coverage of the wars.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Haha perhaps. I was away for a long time during college. My memory is pretty fuzzy from my earlier GS days tho!

BeachBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 BeachBum
Member since 2019 • 165 Posts

All of the Mass Effect and Myst novels. They are so well written. Drew better be the writer for the new ME or it will pale in comparison.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SolidGame_basic

@darktruth007 said:

@SolidGame_basic: Lol!

Forgot to mention I also own a digital book called Console Wars. They made a movie based on the book which was good in its own right but the book has way more in depth coverage of the wars.

Oh! I did read that. A while back. It was a cool book. Never saw the movie.

@pyro1245 said:

@SolidGame_basic: Haha perhaps. I was away for a long time during college. My memory is pretty fuzzy from my earlier GS days tho!

Nevermind, it was another Pyro lmao. I just looked it up. My bad. But you can be their replacement haha.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#15 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

None unfortunately. Used to own a few guidebooks back in the day though. Namely Kingdom Hearts and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RSM-HQ
@speeny said:

None unfortunately. Used to own a few guidebooks back in the day though. Namely Kingdom Hearts and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Understand the appeal yet overall never really liked guide books, they're full of spoilers and always had the most fun with my blind runs in games. Part of the joy for me is figuring out, my own way.

Even the art books I would mention above are full of spoilers and would never open them till I've at least had one playthrough.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#17 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

@RSM-HQ: Agreed. I couldn’t see myself owning one again.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GNS

No, wait, wait, wait, wait... scratch my initial comment, I remembered that many years ago, when I was still in school, I bought a fantasy novel based on Diablo video-game.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidGame_basic

@gns said:

No, wait, wait, wait, wait... scratch my initial comment, I remembered that many years ago, when I was still in school, I bought a fantasy novel based on Diablo video-game.

Fantasy novel, eh? Is that what they called 'em back then?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I have a few random Prima guides from back in the day, somewhere. I agree with others above though - I don't like how they spoil stuff. But they also have nice illustrations and tips.

Otherwise the Myst novels are the only proper books based on games that I have

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GNS

@SolidGame_basic said:
@gns said:

Fantasy novel, eh? Is that what they called 'em back then?

Well, it was no science-fiction novel, that's for sure.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46466 Posts

Been buying loads of game related books, and still there are loads more I want.

Over the past year I've purchased:

• The art of Battlefield 1 - gives me insight on WW1 research for the game as well
  • The art of Battlefield V
  • Indie Games by Bounthavy Suvilay - countless game development stories, from some of the most famous indie games
  • The art of Assassin's Creed Valhalla - love the research they did for the one as well
  • The art of Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  • The art of Assassin's Creed Origins

Good to see these books becoming more available and more mainstream!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#23 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59100 Posts

Read a lot of Starwars books. Which I guess relates to games, since prior to Disney's acquisition practically all games were considered canon.

Unfortunately now much of the canon stuff is linked through mobile games. And vice versa, Favreau and Filoni reintroduced stuff taken from the games. Like The Dark Troopers, which originally appeared in Dark Forces.

Similarly, Thrawn was reintroduced as new-canon but the character appeared in the Star Wars: TIE Fighter.

But new canon exists as well in some shitty card game that shut down 2019.

So yea. Purely going off new canon, the Thrawn trilogy comes to mind as long with the (still in progress) Thrawn Prequel Trilogy. When the character is introduced in live action, probably get more game adaptations as popularity grows, probably the same with Ahsoka who's been in a few games in animated format, but live action typically makes it more lucrative.

Their are other books that feature Vader, but that characters in pretty everything.

Another one read is Dark Disciple, based off an unfinished Clone Wars episode arc, where much of it takes place on Dathomir after the Night-Sisters are wiped out by General Grievous.

The Fallen Order game seems to directly contradict this by implying it has a shit ton of them around still. Which is odd as it directly mentions the Clone Wars. One also turns up on the Mandalorian but not explicitly said so on screen.

Loading Video...

EA's current tenure has been limited and largely uninteresting. They reeled back on their bullshit after Battlefront 2 with Disney most likely not happy about the negative image being acquired through association with such a, lovely company.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidGame_basic

@uninspiredcup: You love your Star Wars!

@R4gn4r0k said:

Been buying loads of game related books, and still there are loads more I want.

Over the past year I've purchased:

• The art of Battlefield 1 - gives me insight on WW1 research for the game as well
  • The art of Battlefield V
  • Indie Games by Bounthavy Suvilay - countless game development stories, from some of the most famous indie games
  • The art of Assassin's Creed Valhalla - love the research they did for the one as well
  • The art of Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  • The art of Assassin's Creed Origins

Good to see these books becoming more available and more mainstream!

The Battlefield 1 must be very interesting. The Indie Games one seems cool too.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46466 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

So these are my books I currently own, they were a ton of fun to read through including the information on developing the games and the great artwork those games used.

I actually keep them among comic book collection and also have a 'Playmobile' canon there because I didn't want to throw it out and it fits with the theme of the 'Bluecoats' comic books I have xD

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SolidGame_basic

@R4gn4r0k: lol nice man. Not gonna lie, my eyes gravitated towards the mini Fallout nuke 😆 Thanks for sharing!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SolidGame_basic

@Yams1980 said:

I have gaming guides mostly made by Prima. Most of mine are from the 90s, by the late 90s with the internet having free and more up to date gaming information, I didn't buy anything after that. This also applied to gaming magazines, they were outdated and literal trash by the time the internet came around.

I think my last walkthrough/guide I bought was for Final Fantasy 8 which I got in around 1999.

The most useful guide I had was for Simcity 3000, it had info in it I probably wouldn't have figured out on my own and helped a bit in making my cities run better.

Even if these guides were still useful, games these days are so poopy and filled with microtransactions, you wouldn't even want one, the sooner you are done with a game the better now. Plus all the info you'd need is found on the internet for free which makes buying a book pointless and wasteful.

Poor Prima, went out of business.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#29 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Got every Zelda Manga volume released in America so far, all three of the Zelda Goddess books, a Das3 art book, a Dark Souls comic Omnibus, and a novelization of Babysitter Bloodbath by Puppet Combo.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidGame_basic

I was reading some of my Nintendo 64 anthology book. This book has a ton of details on the N64 era and its games. Interesting read!

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#31 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I have enjoyed reading the Kingdom Hearts, Persona and Final Fantasy series when it comes to Manga.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SolidGame_basic

@benleslie5 said:

I have enjoyed reading the Kingdom Hearts, Persona and Final Fantasy series when it comes to Manga.

Sometimes I find one of the coolest ways to revisit a game, is to read about it.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 286 Posts

Well I did have a Prima Strategy guide that came with the starcraft battle chest and the Nintendo Power Guide for the 2nd Generation Pokemon games but that's it...