What's one of your favorite games that most people hate?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Mine is Watch_Dogs I've been replaying recently and forgot how much I enjoy it despite Ubisoft graphics downgrade which will always piss me off. But even with that being said I love the open world of this game and the attention to detail I find alot of the side actives pretty fun. Also this game has easily the best combat of the series. Watch Dogs has a good flow of actives to do when you aren't doing the main mission that are enjoyable there's only a few things I don't like about this game. The driving feels weird and the music playlist songs are mostly awful with a few exceptions. This game would of benefited with a custom songs playlist where you could add your own music files like GTA has.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts

Probably both Psycho Break/ The Evil Within games.

Majority never gave the first game more than an hour of effort because admittedly it is kinda jank in the control department and lacks some polish. Early-on it follows the walk-and-talk too much as well. Then add that both games are hard as nails and give little back, these are extremely difficult games. The first game is arguably the toughest Survival Horror game (I've played). By the end I think its pros out weight the cons, have discussed way too many times on this forum alone so I'll spare the essay. The game also gave three DLC expansions and they're all better than Shadow of Rose, and for a fraction on the price tag (on release).

The sequel is in a weird area, because on paper it corrects every issue people had with the first game and is easily one of my favorite Survival Horror games of all time. However it has been stated by some vocal 'fans' that "it is a departure to the first game". I personally disagree so much, sure the game is no longer Ruviks warped reality, it's not suppose to be. And yes still has some issues (bland areas in the open map, and some bosses become recycled roaming enemies) outside of that it's brilliant, music, controls, gameplay, set-pieces. It's top tier Survival Horror goodness. Personally my biggest issue with the sequel is we never got any DLC.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59068 Posts

Alot of people weren't down with 2013 Shadow Warrior, enjoyed it a fair bit.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7313 Posts

Wet. Take Max Payne, add a cup of Prince of Persia, a dash of Kill Bill, and three table spoons of jank. I understand people thinking it's flawed, but recent YouTube reviews outright hate it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

I was thinking about this too recently: Watch Dogs is the one frachise that keeps getting gradually worse with each entry.

Meaning the first game was fantastic, the second game was ok and the third game... eh.

Edit: Watch Dogs 1 also had spider tank, I used to play that all time. They took out my favourite feature for the next entries.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k
@judaspete said:

Wet. Take Max Payne, add a cup of Prince of Persia, a dash of Kill Bill, and three table spoons of jank. I understand people thinking it's flawed, but recent YouTube reviews outright hate it.

Check out Raycevicks video on Max Payne-likes, I think he explains the issue with these games quite well.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34660 Posts

I liked Starfox Adventures a lot. But to be fair, I don't like classic Starfox, so that might not be weird. The cause of hate was because it wasn't classic Starfox, but as I don't enjoy that, I was glad to be playing a fun, pretty and generally cosy action adventure game.

Doom 3 was disliked, because again, it wasn't classic Doom. Personally loved the game and welcomed what it did differently as it did it well.

Wind Waker got hate because of its graphics. That game was like magic to me, inluding the graphics, so I obviously didn't agree.

Can't really think of much else, most things I like are praised.

@RSM-HQ: Yeah, they don't seem to get much recognition. I really need to get to the Evil Within games. They look great, but I'd really have to be in the mood to play a survival horror game (a difficult one, at that), which I believe is why I've put them on hold. It's not every day I feel like having my heart pumping with fear.. Tried Silent Hill 2 once, briefly. Serious nope.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#8 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15940 Posts

Yakuza 5.

Very decisive entry either u think its the best or the worst. This game starts painfully slow which will bore so many people and its really long like my playthrough I got almost 60 hours which then 3 times longer than ur average yakuza game. Y5 such a perfect ending to kiryu's saga. Kind of a shame Yakuza 6 existed as the ending to Y5 is such a tearjerker. I was hoping Akiyama to take the mantle as the next hero but alas they needed the ex yakuza type again.

One thing I really loved about Yakuza 5 is its on par with Yakuza 1 & 2 PS2 in term of production values. Sega probably diverted their whole production team to Y5 as every interior is wonderfully detailed and the town designs so mindblowingly accurate. Not to mention sidequest npc is very expressive compared to literally every HD Yakuza game even Y7. huge cast too probably biggest in a Yakuza game.

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 409 Posts

There were some low-rated JRPGs on the PS2 that I remember really enjoying. Ephemeral Fantasia comes to mind, there was just something about it lol. I know Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter wasn't universally loved but I thought it was good. Okage: Shadow King was pretty underrated.

I had a moment to think and... there were a lot of really good Nintendo DS games that didn't get much acclaim. Trace Memory, Mario Hoops 3-on-3, Metroid Prime: Hunters, and Kirby's Canvas Curse were all pretty great but were considered to be mediocre.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@R4gn4r0k said:

I was thinking about this too recently: Watch Dogs is the one frachise that keeps getting gradually worse with each entry.

Meaning the first game was fantastic, the second game was ok and the third game... eh.

Edit: Watch Dogs 1 also had spider tank, I used to play that all time. They took out my favourite feature for the next entries.

My sentiments exactly.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By judaspete

@R4gn4r0k: Racevick's video is part of the reason Wet popped in my head for this topic. I like his videos, and his criticisms are valid, but ultimately I had fun.

Max Payne 2 is objectively better than Wet, but I got bored halfway through and never finished it. Have completed Wet mulitple times. The heart wants what the heart wants.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#12 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Agree that the first Watch Dogs is the best one of the series, and it actually has some pretty good gameplay. The main character and story are dull as dirt but preferable to the ultra annoying characters in 2 (never played legion).

For myself, its not one of my favorite games, but I did enjoy Mass Effect Andromeda. The main story was really disappointing and it had some annoying characters/writing, but I really enjoyed the structure of the game where you'd go onto the different planets which were quite big and explore/do quests to kinda help them on their way. The optional content was the best part of the game. The combat was solid and I had a good time with it.

I hope they stick with a similar structure for ME5 and just do a better job with the story and characters.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RSM-HQ
@Litchie said:

@RSM-HQ: Yeah, they don't seem to get much recognition. I really need to get to the Evil Within games. They look great, but I'd really have to be in the mood to play a survival horror game (a difficult one, at that), which I believe is why I've put them on hold. It's not every day I feel like having my heart pumping with fear.. Tried Silent Hill 2 once, briefly. Serious nope.

OG borrows more from Resident Evil, the first is basically combining Resi4 with Gamecubes Resident Evil Remake. It's just not as polished or as refined as either. Resources are low, and it encourages running from most battles, personally on the hardest setting I found the regular bolts and icebolts to be clutch. I've beaten Akumu mode eleven times across two platforms at this point, usually when I want a game with a little more kick-back.

The sequel has a lot of Silent Hill, as the overworld works very much like the 'good' Silent Hill games. The difficulty is a little different in the sequel, the final difficulty mode gives the player only seven total saves across the entire game. And this sequel is longer than any mainline Resident Evil game.

I think the word 'intense' is very true for both games, even for Survival Horror.

*I'm admittedly pretty sour on D00M III. It's a good looking game, however I find difficult to praise the demon slaying return outside its revolutionary graphics in the early 2000's. Agreed Wind Waker is amazing, it's a shame majority complaints are just people hoping Zelda goes with a more 'serious' artstyle that an e3 presentation insinuated. I think IPs with age should be more flexible in regards to artistic design. Monkey Island is recently getting the same backlash because it doesn't look like Curse.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2080 Posts

@sakaixx: If they removed the Haruka section or made it shorter Yakuza 5 would of been so much better. That section was the biggest slog and ruined the game for me.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#15 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

@Litchie said:

I liked Starfox Adventures a lot. But to be fair, I don't like classic Starfox, so that might not be weird. The cause of hate was because it wasn't classic Starfox, but as I don't enjoy that, I was glad to be playing a fun, pretty and generally cosy action adventure game.

Even though I haven't played the original Star Fox myself, Star Fox Adventures is a game that I have fond memories of too. I didn't get all that far into it because I was young, but roaming around Dinosaur Planet and annoying the shopkeeper there was seriously amusing.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k

@judaspete said:

@R4gn4r0k: Racevick's video is part of the reason Wet popped in my head for this topic. I like his videos, and his criticisms are valid, but ultimately I had fun.

Max Payne 2 is objectively better than Wet, but I got bored halfway through and never finished it. Have completed Wet mulitple times. The heart wants what the heart wants.

Likewise, I really enjoyed Total Overdose.

I actually got Stranglehold after watching his video, a friend kept recommending it too. And I could always do with more Max Payne like games.

I actually own Wet, but I never played it. I kept waiting for it to become backwards compatible (+ enhanced) on Xbox consoles but it never did.

Did you play it on an emulator or original hardware?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k
@with_teeth26 said:

Agree that the first Watch Dogs is the best one of the series, and it actually has some pretty good gameplay. The main character and story are dull as dirt but preferable to the ultra annoying characters in 2 (never played legion).

For myself, its not one of my favorite games, but I did enjoy Mass Effect Andromeda. The main story was really disappointing and it had some annoying characters/writing, but I really enjoyed the structure of the game where you'd go onto the different planets which were quite big and explore/do quests to kinda help them on their way. The optional content was the best part of the game. The combat was solid and I had a good time with it.

I hope they stick with a similar structure for ME5 and just do a better job with the story and characters.

Yup, playing the game right now and really liking Andromeda's setup so far.

It clashes coming off the ME trilogy, but I don't really mind your dialogue choices holding no weight (I was used to it after AC Odyssey and Valhalla). And the characters do have unique banter but it's overall duller than any previous ME game.

The combat though is fantastic, and I'm just glad how it feel wholy unique. This isn't Mass Effect 4, it's uniquely Mass Effect Andromeda.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@girlusocrazy said:

I like RE6 a lot and the public opinion is bad, same with Kane & Lynch 2 and Neo Contra.

Plus Bloodborne isn't nearly as revered as it should be. Sony clearly hates it or they would announce a Bluepoint remake.

I use to be a RE6 hater until I replayed it a month ago and for whatever reason it clicked with me. The first time I played it in 2013 it felt like a chore to beat although I always enjoyed the Mercenaries mode in that game alot. RE7 and Village made me realize how much I miss the campy over the top tone of the old RE games preferably 4 through 6.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 judaspete

@R4gn4r0k: Original release on PS3.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

Resident Evil Village seems to get hated even though I actually like it but I don't see myself playing any of its DLC anytime soon. Also, Mass Effect: Andromeda really gets hated the most by gamers but I really love its gameplay but the story is poor.

And yes, I agree with everyone regarding Watch Dogs. I too love that game when it came out and it got hated due to the downgrade but even so, I enjoy it then it came out. Didn't like Watch Dogs 2 & didn't get the chance to play Watch Dogs: Legion yet. Dying Light 2 is another game I love cause hey, I love zombie games and while that game was helluva fun, it still gets hated by gamers and never understood why? I think its miles better than the first Dying Light game.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16017 Posts

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. A lot of people complained that Morrowind was better; I really enjoyed Oblivion, though.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RSM-HQ
@dracula_16 said:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. A lot of people complained that Morrowind was better; I really enjoyed Oblivion, though.

Dark Brotherhood was memorable in Oblivion, I recall the painting quest too, the rest up in the air. Despite the flaws Oblivion could be a good time for exploring and building a character class. Both are products of their time however as many games have taken the Oblivion template and evolved it.

Morrowind is such an interesting alien world map with a unique art style, I think that's why it's remembered more fondly. It doesn't do much else better outside some fun spells for caster classes. DLC in Oblivion was of higher quality, Shivering Isles remains the franchises best expansion. Combat in all the games are? meh, and even considered such when released. Same with quest structure, got old-hat very quickly.

Skyrim has gotten a little too mainstream and removed the RPG factor to such a degree classes and such don't exist, it's a power fantasy action game and no longer an RPG. Choices also mean nothing was very lazy.

Hope that project The Wayward Realms turns out good as I have zero expectations for The Elder Scrolls VI currently. It would be nice to get another real Elder Scrolls game again and just have fun exploring, building a class, with great music.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Streets of Rage 3. You can like SoR2 better, I do too, but if you think Bare Knuckle 3 is better than SoR3, I'm sorry, but you just suck at playing video games.

@sakaixx: I like Y5 a lot too. It's probably my third or fourth favorite in the series.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#25  Edited By Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2961 Posts

Does CoD count? Or is it just overbearingly popular that it drowns out all haters?

Anyway I think 7th gen CoD was terrible but the last 4-5 CoD maybe starting with WWII have actually been quite good.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RSM-HQ

@Renegade_Fury: Love Bare Knuckle III, its mechanically dense. The way the game handled meter use and directional evasion is very forward thinking, that many the modern takes on Beat em' Ups use today. Had quite a lot of content/ endings too and unlockable characters.

That OST is nails on a chalkboard though.

Seems the US version of the game is also heavily compromised as well, which is another slite against the game. Namely due to changing the games plot, color palettes, and completely removing the character Ash; which I feel even in 2022 would be very polarizing to discuss on the forums.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Soldier of Fortune Payback, I know it's a terrible game but I love it and still play it occasionally.

c_doody_1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 c_doody_1999
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

Mine are two oldies.

The star wars episode 1 tie in game. Reviewed badly but I always loved it on pc its a very cool 3rd person combat (lightsaber) action platformer. With a plot that adds to the narrative of the film including recreating famous scenes and added new narative sections. It's a trip for fans of the film like I was at 13 years old when It came out.

Second the star trek generations tie in game on pc. A first person action puzzler with some platforming in doom style 2.5d graphics. For a tng fan in 1998 (it actually came out after first contact) it was so cool and to this day I spend my time trying to make it work on my Windows 11 pc so that I can run arround amargosa space station once again killing romulans. It even has cool space battle sections.

Definitely both worth a look for the discerning gamer.