Who else thinks Spiderman 2 should be GOTY 2023!

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 343 Posts

I believe if Aliens were ever to visit this earth, and they played AAA video games released this year, they would most likely pick Spiderman 2 as the game of the year instead of Zelda TOTK or that highly overhyped Baldur's Gate 3.

Just look at the insane graphics and gameplay of SP2 and compare it with the contenders.The story is also engaging making it an overall solid gem of a game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lGtEdfE0cmg

For me, Spiderman2 is the game of the year in 2023. I didn't even play TOTK as it's a kids' game, and BG3 has an extremely boring gameplay.

GOTY 2023 is likely to be a repeat of the year when Uncharted 4 was wrongly ignored for GOTY, which similar to Oscars sucks.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

Considering Spider-Man 2 isn't even close to as good as TotK, nah.

Also, a game like BG3 getting GOTY is refreshing. There's always a bunch of cinematic action games like Spider-Man 2 getting nominated.

Also, Uncharted 4 was terrible.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9831 Posts

Spider-Man 2 and gameplay shouldn’t be uttered in the same sentence. Nor should UC4.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Online
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

Only played Spider-Man Remastered & Miles Morales on PC, still haven't gotten around playing Spider-Man 2 until it comes to PC, so can't comment on rather it deserves GOTY. I will say I really enjoy the previous Spider-Man games but I will say it's not the best comic book superhero game I've played so far as to calling it GOTY material IMO.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44355 Posts

Great game but nah would not pick it as GotY myself. Right now it’s Tears of the Kingdom. Have yet to play Baldur’s Gate 3 though so could end up being that.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22391 Posts

Hell no.

But wouldn't surprise me if most of the media picks it.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DanishAnwar

I still think this game is by far the best game of the year.

The primary campaign by Insomniac is incredibly well done, and the combat is amazing. Both the plot and the boss fights are well-written. The graphics of this game is superior to both BG3 and TOTK.

The pace is excellent. There are also some excellent side missions with additional antagonists and supporting cast members.

If media experts are objective game connoisseurs, they would definitely pick Spidey 2 as the GOTY. But if BG3 wins, I believe the whole GOTY concept is corrupt to the core for picking a bland and boring game for nerds.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44355 Posts

Saying it’s corrupt if your favourite game doesn’t win GotY is very childish and silly. People are going to enjoy different games, that’s just how it goes. Whether or not my favourite games win or even get nominated has no impact on my enjoyment of said game. This year has been fantastic for gaming with a bunch of games that could easily be a GotY game.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

Can't tell if this is a PlayStation exclusive jerkoff or not. . (System-Wars is that way)

Being your favorite game is great and all, but just because you like certain kinds of games (openworld games with mashy combat), doesn't really make it the best game. Just means you like superheroes and a certain genre of play.

Graphics also quite frankly don't mean shit, and those that think they do are a niche and narrowminded few, games are about high quality gameplay. The kind in Spider Man we've seen for decades, barely altered since then as well, its just mash buttons till everything is dead, woo.

From what I've played this year the year has no shortage of amazing games that could be someone's GotY (Street Fighter 6, Pizza Tower, Alan Wake 2, Super Mario Wonder, Tears of the Kingdom, Baldur's Gate III, Resident Evi 4 Remake, etc, etc) and I would agree with many of them, truly top tier gaming. Spider Man 2 isn't one of them, it's safe retread for people who want more of the same fastfood gaming, could even be mistaken as another expansion. Nothing wrong with that, but also meh. As praise worthy as the new Call of Duty (which is also a glorified expansion).

Baldur's Gate III is amazing for the kind of game that it is. & sure it's not for everyone but neither is the games OP seems to praise. BG3 is a hybrid of CSPG & SRPG just like Divinity: Original Sin II. Which was another extremely well received video game by Larian Studios. BG3 however took chances and risks to changing the formula that paid off in spades, a way to keep the depth but make it more appealing to a wider audience.

*Why would Uncharted 4 be anything special in 2016 because you liked the graphics? I honestly forgot Uncharted went on after a trilogy.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DanishAnwar

Agreed 💯. But BG3 is for nerds, and not for me. It's a personal subjective preference. I hate boring bland games like BG series.

Your post seems to validate my point. The whole point of GOTY is pointless. The best game is a subjective choice of critics. I won't be following such crap going forward.

For me, SP 2 was by far the best game of the year, and UC4 the best game of 2016 rather than Overwatch.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14816 Posts

Not even close.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2046 Posts

Possible but it's more likely gonna be BG3

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

ROFL no, just...no.

So many great games this year. 2023 was incredible.

This isn't a dig at Spider-Man 2, by the way, as it is a quality title. It's more just a testament to how many better games came out this year.

Don't worry, though, Spider-Man 2 will likely win many GOTY awards. Throw a rock and you'll hit a critic with an award to give out these days 🙄

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RSM-HQ
@danishanwar said:

Agreed 💯. But BG3 is for nerds.

You're on a gaming forum actually caring what video game is selected for a advertised game award.

You are a nerd.

And it's ok.

@danishanwar said:

I hate boring bland games like BG series.

Seems a lot of people find it great and interesting.

@danishanwar said:

For me, SP 2 was by far the best game of the year, and UC4 the best game of 2016 rather than Overwatch.

Preferences are preferences.

I'd go with D00M(IV) or Dark Souls III personally for 2016. And both those games had lasting impact to games that came after.

Overwatch was back when people still liked games from Blizzard Entertainment, I played it and it was alright.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DanishAnwar

Overwatch was not as much of a marvel as Uncharted 4 was. The same is the case with BG3 that is overhyped.

Baldur's Gate 3 doesn't introduce anything novel and instead incorporates elements that have already been explored in previous games such as Larians own Divinity: Original Sin that allows players the freedom of choice.

I have played both BG1 and 2. And the narrative of BG3 is nowhere as good as the previous games. Act 1 may be nice. But beyond Act 3, there are lots of repetitive combat. The game also contains many bugs and glitches.

As I said before, a real game connoisseur will see through the charade and realize how overrated and overhyped this game is painted. Definitely, not a GOTY material in my opinion.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DanishAnwar

Ultimately, the game of the year award is subjective and biased.

I believe Spiderman 2 is the game of the year that offers a compelling and emotionally-driven narrative, building upon the success of its predecessor. The game delves into the complexities of Peter Parker's life, his relationships, and the responsibilities he faces as Spiderman.

The game provides a seamless open-world experience where players can swing through the city, perform acrobatic combat moves, and solve challenging puzzles. The fluidity of Spiderman's movements and the variety of combat options offer an enjoyable and immersive gameplay experience.

Spiderman 2 also showcases stunning visuals and attention to detail. The game's realistic graphics, vibrant colors, and impressive character models contribute to the overall immersive experience unlike BG3 that I found to be bland and boring.in all aspects.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Litchie

Dude calling people nerds, while caring more than anyone else about GOTY awards. Calling good games overrated while playing Spider-Man and Uncharted.

lol

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RSM-HQ
@Litchie said:

Dude calling people nerds, while caring more than anyone else about GOTY awards. Calling good games overrated while playing Spider-Man and Uncharted.

lol

Acceptance is a tough thing to grasp depending whom it is.

OP is passionate about his pick for favorite game for sure, yet misguided to throw other games (seemingly not played & barely any knowledge about) under the bus, out of spite, brand loyalty, and little else. Nothing wrong with enjoying Spider Man 2 though. However could have been phrased in a more topical and interesting read. The focus praising graphics seemed at odds too when Alan Wake 2 & Dead Space Remake are noted to be the most technological impressive games of 2023; not Spider Man 2.

On the note of personal GotYs any game that's stood out for you in 2023 @Litchie? pretty strong year for new games overall.

I can think of at least seven games that really impressed me in 2023, but BG3 is still my pick.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Litchie

@RSM-HQ said:

On the note of personal GotYs any game that's stood out for you in 2023 @Litchie? pretty strong year for new games overall.

I think I'd give it to TotK. It's a great game and I simply couldn't stop playing it.

There are many great games I haven't played yet, such as Baldur's Gate 3, Hi-Fi Rush, Pizza Tower, Pikmin 4, Cocoon and more, but I doubt they'd change my mind.

Other great games I have played include Blasphemous 2, Super Mario Bros. Wonder, Resident Evil 4 Remake and maybe some others, but none of them have much of a chance against TotK.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RSM-HQ

@Litchie: I really liked Resident Evil 4 Remake, it's an excellent game that introduced to a new audience a lot of what made the original as beloved as it is. However I also have some complaints about it as well, some of the cuts are very noticeable and not really a fan of the added side-quests; they seem to be filler padding and not all are very interesting.

Played Tears of the Kingdom on and off a few times and it's just not for me, admittedly neither was Breath of the Wild though I can say had more fun with TotK. Very well made and interesting mechanics at anycase for Tears.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DanishAnwar

@RSM-HQ: I understand and agrre with your gaming preferences. There was nothing personal about this discussion. It all comes to personal perspective in the end.

Glad that moderators allow healthy discussion like this in this forum preserving the freedom of expression.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DanishAnwar

@RSM-HQ: I understand and agree with your gaming preferences. There was nothing personal about this discussion. It all comes to personal perspective in the end. And I apologize if some of my words sounded scathing. I meant nerds in a good way.

Glad that moderators allow healthy discussion like this in this forum preserving the freedom of expression.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Online

@danishanwar: Real talk, I tend to forget what goes into system wars and what goes into Games Discussion. Games Discussion is a safe heaven for gamers who don't want nothing to do with bickering or fanboy nonsense. That goes into System Wars.

In the future, if you want to make topics, here, please don't start no fights nor start fanboy crap here. Now everyone, let's all be nice and any game can become your own GOTY. I have several this year .

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RSM-HQ

@davillain said: I have several this year.

Last game I saw you praising from 2023 was the new Mortal Kombat, still feeling it as one of the years best?

I really enjoyed Street Fighter 6, but admittedly don't really play Mortal Kombat games so would be interested to know how you felt about it in a stellar gaming year like 2023.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3455 Posts

The best hero of 2023 is Pinocchio.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39388 Posts

A game like Spiderman 2 shouldn't win any awards outside of setpieces award, if there's one.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DaVillain  Online
@RSM-HQ said:

@davillain said: I have several this year.

Last game I saw you praising from 2023 was the new Mortal Kombat, still feeling it as one of the years best?

I really enjoyed Street Fighter 6, but admittedly don't really play Mortal Kombat games so would be interested to know how you felt about it in a stellar gaming year like 2023.

I really had fun this years as there was just too many fun games to play them all, as for MK1, I'm just now playing it and I really like it so far. I love fighting games, SF6 isn't something I was looking forward to, just Tekken 8 as I'm looking to get back into the franchise. MK1 isn't the best, but an interesting fighting game I'm enjoying.

Edit: Are there any games that made it to you're GOTY list? (List all that applies😊)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Litchie

@RSM-HQ said:

@Litchie: I really liked Resident Evil 4 Remake, it's an excellent game that introduced to a new audience a lot of what made the original as beloved as it is. However I also have some complaints about it as well, some of the cuts are very noticeable and not really a fan of the added side-quests; they seem to be filler padding and not all are very interesting.

Played Tears of the Kingdom on and off a few times and it's just not for me, admittedly neither was Breath of the Wild though I can say had more fun with TotK. Very well made and interesting mechanics at anycase for Tears.

I liked it too, but it just doesn't come close to the original for me. I appreciate being able to play RE4 with modern controls and graphics, but wasn't very fond of the changes. I don't regret buying and playing the game, but it's a 7/10 for me, while the original was a 9/10.

I much prefer RE2R over RE4R as far as RE remakes go.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RSM-HQ

@Litchie:Oh most certainly, Resident 2 Remake is my favorite of the recent remakes by far. Just captured a balance of the old and new Resident Evil games almost seamlessly.

Resident Evil 4 Remake at times feels like it's very ashamed of its original outing rather than proud. Has less core features to modernise or improve so we end up with a few drastic changes for the sake of change.

Yet some of the changes I found good, has more of the Survival Horror feel, much better puzzles, less resources and the knife mechanic being very welcome. Yet I do agree, overall still a kinda-pointless-remake in my view when Veronica needed it so much more. OG Resident Evil 4 may require a short learning curve (hour or two) if you're GenZ otherwise it's a none issue.

It's around an 8 or 9 for me, probably 8.5/10 as I still think it's an amazing Resident Evil game and if someone's first entry into the franchise? They're going to have a great time. It's still at its core Resident Evil 4. Separate Ways was also fairly priced as an expansion.

@davillain: Absolutely, amazing year for games. Can barely go wrong with what anyone picks, you're probably going to have a good time. I was a Tekken person for the longest time, playing in the arcades and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is one of my favorite games ever, but didn't care for Revolution or Tekken 7; and Tekken 8 is just more of the systems found in 7 so it's a hard-out for me. Hope its good for those who liked T7.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts

zelda tears of the kingdom deserve the GOTY for me i love spiderman 2 its amazing

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10500 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:
@danishanwar said:

Agreed 💯. But BG3 is for nerds.

You're on a gaming forum actually caring what video game is selected for a advertised game award.

You are a nerd.

And it's ok.

lol. self awareness doesn't appear to be a quality op possesses.

@kathaariancode said:

The best hero of 2023 is Pinocchio.

lies!