Goodbye, Microsoft, you won't be missed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#1 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Sorry, @FireEmblem_Man... but it's true--

MICROSOFT HAS GIVEN UP ON CONSUMER SMARTPHONES

What this means:

• 1,850 jobs to be cut
  • $950 million charge

I think most of us knew this was coming for some time. MS had been unsuccessful in creating a new market with its devices. Their feature set was underwhelming, not in concept but in practice. Universal apps never really took off across the board, Microsoft's ability to distribute their products was always a puzzling failure, and no amount of pomp and circumstance or bad IDC analysis (and there was plenty of it) could change the fact that MS lost the mobile war.

More blood on Apple's hands, quickened by Google. Scary time for Microsoft, who made their fortune on expensive operating system and office productivity software. They have no foothold in the post-PC generation.

What an interesting time to be alive.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 musicalmac  Moderator

Bonus images, for the lulz:

...aaaaand some bonus videos for even more lulz:

Loading Video...

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 873 Posts

This sounds bad. I am not a fan of Windows Mobile, but I would prefer having the extra competition by having them still around. I don't want Apple and Google to have too much power in the smartphone industry. Thankfully, MS are still staying in smartphone market, although they are focusing more on corporate users.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Given the OS couldn't utilize the largest advantage of Windows, the ecosystem, it couldn't offer users an advantage over iOS or Android. With Intel cutting the contra-revenue fueled Atom in favor of the much more powerful and more profitable Core M, Microsoft's chance of bringing x86 Windows 10 to smartphones to the mainstream was crushed. Last year Intel said Core M is being tested in smartphones, so an x86 Windows smartphone is still possible (with an Intel modem), but not for a mainstream market.

@musicalmac said:

Scary time for Microsoft, who made their fortune on expensive operating system and office productivity software. They have no foothold in the post-PC generation.

The global tablet and smartphone market are starting to see declines, the next battleground of services and AI is already a direction Microsoft is headed in. Although, in the tablet market, the Surface line is still growing, as is the market for Windows tablets. Outside of that, Windows is still the dominating force in the desktop/laptop market, a market that might be seeing decline, but will not disappear or become insignificant.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NVIDIATI

@musicalmac said:

Bonus images, for the lulz:

Is that supposed to be an iPhone they're carrying? Haha, oh sweet irony.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NVIDIATI

@lavamelon said:

This sounds bad. I am not a fan of Windows Mobile, but I would prefer having the extra competition by having them still around. I don't want Apple and Google to have too much power in the smartphone industry. Thankfully, MS are still staying in smartphone market, although they are focusing more on corporate users.

I do agree, more competition is usually a good thing, but Microsoft wasn't exactly bringing anything new to the table through their mobile OS. Most apps/services Microsoft offers are already in app form on Android/iOS, such as Office, OneDrive, Cortana, Skype, etc. The integration is far enough along that you can tell Cortana from a Windows 10 PC to send a text message through an Android phone.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@NVIDIATI: lol, it is...

ameerhaddad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ameerhaddad
Member since 2016 • 37 Posts

I don't like MS mobile it's sucks and there apps are low-quality .. i agree with this

SuperClocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SuperClocks
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts

Microsoft Surface Phones are coming in 2017 and will run Windows 10. If they run desktop software and will play DirectX12 games, then I'll gladly make the switch to Microsoft phones. Android mobile OS is terrible, IMO. And, iPhones are nice and fast, but Surface phones that run desktop software would overshadow anything that Apple can offer me.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

@musicalmac: There is no such thing as a post-PC generation.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 musicalmac  Moderator

@doubutsuteki: It's likely that you're holding one in your hands. Either that, or you carry it around in your pocket.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

@musicalmac: An Android phone? It doesn't replace a PC though.

wildaries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wildaries
Member since 2016 • 499 Posts

this was a dumb idea...facebook phone was worse...amazon phone..lol google phone....all rip....

this is why I buy a sony.....never has one failed one is 10 years old still going w810 I had a sony acr s thinner then I iphone better cam too....sony z1 worker under water ....great fun in the pool doing movies.

sony makes all the cams for all the flagship phones....and that division really makes sony a lot of money.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 Mister-Man
Member since 2014 • 616 Posts

@SuperClocks: A windows phone running windows 10 and desktop OS and software is the worst, stupidest and ugliest idea ever

LessThanMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LessThanMike
Member since 2002 • 5364 Posts

@SuperClocks said:

Microsoft Surface Phones are coming in 2017 and will run Windows 10. If they run desktop software and will play DirectX12 games, then I'll gladly make the switch to Microsoft phones. Android mobile OS is terrible, IMO. And, iPhones are nice and fast, but Surface phones that run desktop software would overshadow anything that Apple can offer me.

No such thing exists