OnePlus One Now Official - "Flagship Killer" for $299/$349

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

The OnePlus One has been officially announced.

Specifications:

• 5.5" 1920x1080 display LTPS IPS with TOL
  • CyanogenMod 11S (Android 4.4)
  • Snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 GHz (8974AC)
  • 3GB LPDDR3 1866MHz RAM
  • Rear Camera - Sony 13 MPx IMX214 sensor with 6 lenses f/2.0 (capable of 4K video recording)
  • Front Camera - 5 MPx
  • 4G LTE
  • 16GB or 64GB eMMC 5.0
  • 3100mAh LiPo battery
  • 162g (magnesium used in the chassis)
  • removable back panel (can be changed with different designs/materials such as wood, kevlar, etc.)
  • Built by Oppo
  • Rear JBL stereo speaker
  • 152.9 x 75.9 x 8.9 mm
  • 802.11a/b/g/n + BT 4.1, USB3.0, GPS/GNSS, MHL, DLNA, NFC
  • Accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity and ambient light sensor

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Do you know how they've managed to make it so inexpensive?

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NVIDIATI

@musicalmac said:

Likely a low profit margin combined with efficient manufacturing. They also didn't have to spend much (if anything) on the OS as they're using CM11S.

There really isn't a reason for these devices to cost so much, companies like Xiaomi have proven that.

OnePlus even took a stab at the big players (Apple, Samsung, etc) for overcharging on things like internal storage:

OnePlus charges $50 USD to go from 16GB to 64GB (internal eMMC 5.0)

“How much is fair to charge for 64GB of storage?” OnePlus Twitter

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NVIDIATI

Here are a few more of the backing options:

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@NVIDIATI said:

@musicalmac said:

Likely a low profit margin combined with efficient manufacturing. They also didn't have to spend much (if anything) on the OS as they're using CM11S.

There really isn't a reason for these devices to cost so much, companies like Xiaomi have proven that.

OnePlus even took a stab at the big players (Apple, Samsung, etc) for overcharging on things like internal storage:

OnePlus charges $50 USD to go from 16GB to 64GB (internal eMMC 5.0)

You know that for a fact, though? It's as simple as low profit margins and efficient manufacturing? I can't help but think there's more to it than that. Do you imagine maybe another company is secretly subsidizing the cost of the phone? For what purpose I don't know, but it seems like a big undertaking for Cyanogen.

Things just don't add up. It sounds like, without a doubt, they'll create the best android-powered handset on the market. But again, not all the dots are connected.

EDIT: So it's made by Oppo, which I believe makes it a wholly Chinese created device. I still am curious to know how it's all working out.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NVIDIATI

@musicalmac said:

You know that for a fact, though? It's as simple as low profit margins and efficient manufacturing? I can't help but think there's more to it than that. Do you imagine maybe another company is secretly subsidizing the cost of the phone? For what purpose I don't know, but it seems like a big undertaking for Cyanogen.

Things just don't add up. It sounds like, without a doubt, they'll create the best android-powered handset on the market. But again, not all the dots are connected.

Not for a fact, just speculation. There might be more to it, but again referencing Xiaomi, it's not impossible to see a device with flagship specs for such a low price. Xiaomi has been offering low cost flagship devices for at least a couple years now.

Some of the parts such as the Sony sensor could also come from Oppo, which uses the same sensor in their Find 7 flagship (in some ways a sister phone of the OnePlus One).

Take for example Xiaomi's Q4 2013 flagship, the Mi-3. It had a price tag ~$330 USD and offered more features than the Nexus 5. Specs: MIUI Android UI, Snapdragon 800 (AB model with higher clock for CPU and GPU), 2GB LPDDR3 1866 MHz, 5-inch 1920x1080 IPS display, 5 lens f/2.2 13MP camera with dual Philips LED flash, aluminium-magnesium chassis coated in multiple layers of graphite, 16GB eMMC 4.5 internal storage, etc. The only downside to the device was the lack of LTE due to the Chinese market.

Xiaomi Mi-3
Xiaomi Mi-3

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 musicalmac  Moderator

@NVIDIATI: I'm really, really curious what profit margins look like on devices like the ones you're linking to. I can't shake the feeling that there's something we don't know (I think that's obvious), and I also can't imagine there are no compromises. Nexus phones have always felt appropriate, but maybe this is just a sign of the times.

Could be exciting for many folks, and likely terrifying for many others (looking at you, HTC, Lenovorola, Sony, Samsung, etc).

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NVIDIATI

@musicalmac: An interesting piece on Xiaomi by The Verge (Link).

"We essentially price our phones at bill-of-materials." Xiaomi co-founder Bin Lin

To augment those razor-thin profit margins, Xiaomi continues to sell the same phones for a longer period of time than many of its competitors. Rather than release a new flagship every six months, it may sell the same model for up to 18 months (a strategy that larger companies are only just recently starting to adopt), giving it more flexibility with profits and the ability to sell accessories. Indeed, while the company doesn’t offer a fully custom phone a la the Moto X, customers can buy different color backplates and even batteries when they order their phones. "The accessory business only makes sense with huge volumes on one particular model," noted Lin. He also says the company has no marketing budget, doesn’t have to account for markups from resellers, and has no sales team.

Instead of focusing on hardware profits to grow the company, Lin has said that Xiaomi is more concerned with offering services to customers as a way to make money. "The future of mobile internet is really about services" he says. That doesn’t sound too different from Google’s approach of offering competitive products at a low cost or for free and then making money back on advertising. Given that Lin worked at Google before leaving to start Xiaomi, that shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. It could also be a good reason why Barra felt like Xiaomi would be the right place to go when leaving Google.

Credit The Verge
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 musicalmac  Moderator

@NVIDIATI: Very interesting, indeed. Going to be rough on the usual android suspects, I expect.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Tempted.

But their invitation only to buy it is kinda stupid...besides the 100 first to be selected,the rest will have their phones end July\August,which is still far away.

And Nexus 6 rumors for the end of summer...

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NVIDIATI

@MonsieurX said:

Tempted.

But their invitation only to buy it is kinda stupid...besides the 100 first to be selected,the rest will have their phones end July\August,which is still far away.

And Nexus 6 rumors for the end of summer...

I was under the impression the phone was going to be available in Q2 (mid-May). End of July / start of August is already in Q3.

If the next Nexus device is a sister phone of the LG G3, then, according to current leaks, we'll likely see a device with a Snapdragon 801 SoC + 2GB LPDDR3 RAM.

Snapdragon 805 has yet to be seen.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MonsieurX

@NVIDIATI:

Now that the presentation is done and the website is up, it is clear that the One will be available in three Stages:

1. 100 Smash - Will get the OnePlus before/around May 25

2. Customers with Invite - Will get their phone Mid/End June.

3. Customers with Invite and General Availability - Mid/End July/August

This is crazy http://www.phonearena.com/news/OnePlus-One-camera-samples-compared-to-Nikon-D3100_id55362#22-Nikon-D3100---Landscape

But considering the low value of the can $,it'll be like 400$ here :(

tendoboy1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tendoboy1984
Member since 2012 • 253 Posts

OnePlus One? What a stupid name.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#14  Edited By Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

CM out of the box is like a dream phone for me but I am never buying a phone that big. I hope this phone is a success so we can have a 5" version later on which I will buy without a second thought.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NVIDIATI

Engadget posted a review on a pre-release OnePlus One. They gave the phone a 90 of 100 score. They found a couple stutters, but it should be noted, the device is running a pre-release software build. The review will be updated if there are changes when a final build / device is released.

Link

For $300, no other phone comes close to what the OnePlus One offers. Not only does it look and feel like a premium device, but it also comes with specs similar to what you'd find in a flagship smartphone. If you want a high-end phone on a budget, look no further.

Credit Engadget
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonsieurX

Good luck having one!

MonsieurX

Forum Posts