How do folks feel about their Wii Us?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CrazyOldDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 CrazyOldDave
Member since 2009 • 245 Posts

My Wii U arrived today but I've promised myself that I'd wait until I finish my assignments to open it at Xmas. I was thinking compared to my PS4 and other systems it has been a difficult purchase to convince myself to get, possibly because of everything said surrounding the console and my regular Wii gathering dust. I felt like asking you guys, Was it worth it? Are you happy with yours? What do you do with it?

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

I only use mine for Nintendo exclusives. I love Donkey Kong, Mario, Smash, Kart, Pikmin, starfox, Zelda. So yea, well worth it. Since it comes with 2 games then it's dirt cheap imo.

So, if you don't like the software exclusives, then there's no point in owning one.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I have 14 retail games for my Wii U. So how do I feel about the console? The Wii U is a good, But not a great console. The Gamepad works as intended Nintendo has made the Gamepad functions work well.

It is just that it wasn't needed to have a controller shaped like a tablet crammed with all of those functions of single touch screen, All of the motion controls of the regular Wii mote controller plus, or the NFC, The speaker built in, Gyroscopic feature. The second screen built into the Gamepad and all of the Usual buttons and triggers of traditional game controllers. Even if the D pad is somewhat mushy and not up to Nintendo's usual standard of have the best D-pad

This Gamepad is the Swiss Army knife of video game controllers, It is also the largest regular controller ever included with a game console. Even out doing the fabled "Duke" of the original Xbox way back in 2001. Before being replaced by controller S.

The gamepad does exactly what it says on the retail box, Functions well and is the largest controller ever by Nintendo. It is the answer to a problem that never existed. No wonder developers have no really figured out what to do with the Gamepad.

Overall the Wii U is a good console. It is just late if Nintendo had released it Nov 17th 2011 with at least 3 key games, along with the Gamepad sold in addition separately. Nintendo could have shown their 2nd and 3rd party developers how to use the Wii U Gamepad creatively. Instead of just dropping it and telling them to figure it out.

I like the Wii U, I just feel it was released a bit late.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I love mine. It gets a ton of use between Wii U and Wii software. The only thing that really irks me about the system is the limited 3rd party support. If you get a Wii U, you have to get it purely for the Nintendo published content. If you're not into what Nintendo puts out, then the Wii U isn't worth your time.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

love my Wii U. I bought Captain Toad today and I'm having a blast. I thought I'd be able to breeze through it but there are challenges in there that are crazy hard. This is on top of all the exclusives I can't get anywhere else. I can't get enough of the thing. It will rank in my top 3 all time favorite consoles when all is said and done.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Well, I will list my pros and Cons, aswell as my games. It is worth noting that I do have a PS4 and my Primary platform is the PC. As such most multiplats are playied on the PC, with the Wii U being more for exclusives.

To start it off, I really REALLY like my Wii U, it is the console that feel the most like a console Ive had for a few generations (I skipped the Wii).

I bought the ZOmbiU bundle at rellese, due to the pro controller (which Works in near all games, atleast the ones I have, with the possible exeption of Wind waker and zombiU, not sure).

But as I stated, it is the console Ive had the most fun with, likely because I am a PC mainly gamer. The Wii U simply feels like a console and not a stripped Down PC (like my PS4 feels like atm, atleast games wise).

The games simply feel great, they run great, Little lag, hightly responsive and they feel "Unique" They have a good range in setting and mood. And in some ways feels like the SNES did back then, except you can feel less support for the Wii U from 3rd party.

So it has become my most playied console by a fair margin. And the console I have come to like the most (although it might change when the PS4 gets some games out for the system that feels like they are made with the kind of love and care that some Sony games also does, they simply don't exist right now, or are remakes).

The games I own for the Wii U are:

ZombiU (a flawed but really good zombie game) It feels good to play, looks good enough, although not winning Awards, likely the best use of the gamepad. As much an experience as a good game. overgenerous autoaim a bit of a negative, structured like a mix of a fps, zombie survival game, and a tad of dark souls. (not least in how ou can run into the zombies of other players WHO failed, which you can loot before they can retrieve thier lost equipment).

Super Mario 3D World: It is a 3d Mario Game, so it is what you expect, it looks great, plays well, but I do have an issue with the controls of all Things, which is odd since it is a mario game). Homely and happy.

New Super Mario Bros. U It is a 2d Mario game, enough said, flawless in controls, and feels homely and happy to play. It is as expected.

Wind Waker: A remake, Thus it might hold the least worth in the grand scheme of Things, it plays good enough, looks pretty darn brilliant, and has been tweaked to play better, smoother and with less annoyances then the original. Perhaps the game I care the least for.

Mario Kart 8: Well it is mario kart, and if you did not like the combat arenas then it is likely the best mario kart ever made 8I have had the doubtful honor of having playied the majority). It controls pretty darn good, it has more charm then the prior games, but lacks the arenas for vs. So the enjoyment hinges on that. DLC is so so.

Bayonetta 2 (with 1 included) Ok this is an odd thing, Bayonetta Looks pretty good, even compared to PS4 games, and it runs better. Must have cost alot to make that happen. And it is perhaps the best game of its genre. (well bayo 1 or 2, but does not matter, since they are both to find here, except if you playied the first on another platform). Widely different from anything else, quite Unique and pretty much awesome on a disk (do buy the disk version, trust me).

Given the gamepads option to play games on its screen when not infront of the TV, I also bought a few legacy games, from the online store, namely:

Mega Man 2,3

Super Mario Bros 3

LOZ A link to the Past

Street Fighter 2

Final Fight

These I would not Count, but the pad Works really well with this, which impresses me a good deal, so while I tend to use the Pro controller infront of the TV, I do tend to use the pad if I am not near the TV.

As you acn see the Wii U is mainly used for its exclusives, and therein lies the biggest CON against it also. It tends to have the worst version of near all 3rd party titles, so if you bought it to be the main system for gaming, then you do yourself a disservice. It simply wont do all that well for that, and the PS4 would likely be better.

But for its exclusives, it is an impressive system, and it has teh most games specifically for one system that are worth playing. So it comes Down to how you like the kind of exclusives it has, I consider it a must have console to accompany the main platform you have for gaming.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

I'm happy with my wii u.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#8 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I only just got it last Friday, but I'm loving it so far. I've got ZombiU, Nintendo Land, Super Mario 3D World, as well as Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, Metroid Fusion, Swords and Soldiers, Toki Tori on the eShop, and my whole Wii library. I'll pick up another game or two next week.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

I've had mine since launch, I have enjoyed countless sales and have an awesome collection of games. Hyrule Warriors has been taking up most of my gaming time lately. Also the Wii U Pro Controller is almost flawless

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

I like it more than I did my Wii.

I bought it to play Nintendo's HD console games and ... Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, DK: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart * Smash Bros Wii U ... damn. These 5 games are Nintendo at their best and deliver hugely.

Even less lauded games like Nintendo Land and Mario Bros U provide great experiences.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

through a combination of deals i didnt pay anywhere near close to full price for my wiiu. if i did i would be scratching my head a bit.

as a console i find it dissapointing. its slow, its main feature is not used very well if at all (though it is very very well integrated has to be said) and it just doesnt have the wow the wii had.

its getting a very good range of games though. smash, bayonetta 1 and 2, pikmin 3, wonderful 101, MK8 and so on...all great games. if you like nintendos games and can find a good deal on the wiiu then its well worth a look now.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

IF the rumour is true that SMT X FE has been cancelled..then yea a console that continually lose games. :P

Its a Nintendo fan console ...if you like Nintendo games ..you will like it...otherwise you will only have a handful of exclusives & Lego games, & Just Dance games. :P

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I love my WiiU. It's my favorite of the consoles by far. Has the best exclusives.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

If you don't like games it's awesome

If you're the kind of person who plays a new game maybe every two to 4 months it's great

For me it's a disappointing 8th system

liquidsuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 liquidsuns
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts

I adore my Wii U. Off-tv play is rad. I don't think they have justified the mandatory inclusion of the gamepad, though. I mean, I use the off-tv play all the time, but most people won't and that's all the gamepad is useful for on 90% games. But Nintendo has been kicking the crap out of making games this year.

GamerNerdTalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 1

#17 GamerNerdTalk
Member since 2011 • 341 Posts

I find myself playing normal wii games on my wiiu, with the exception of Wind waker HD and mario 3d world.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#18 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

I like my WiiU, it is the only new gen consol I have and I don't think I'll buy another consol this gen. Most people will think I'm stupid but I don't find the PS4 nor the X1 very inspiring. I've always had the new Sony consol but this time, it just doesn't feel like there will be something I'll like. Even when I think back at the PS3 it is a deception that the majority of good games were multiplat and those games weren't that great to begin with.

I played Mario 3d World earlier this year and smiled so much while playing that I bought the consol, it was fun once again instead of a shallow story with the only reason to replay a gain is to get the trophies that do nothing because you can unlock nothing.

I also have a 3ds and seriously I don't feel like I'm missing anything, all I play isn't on the PC4X1.

CrillanK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 CrillanK
Member since 2008 • 272 Posts

Best console I've owned. I've spent more hours on WiiU than any console since N64.

jdog8888888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 jdog8888888
Member since 2003 • 506 Posts

I like the Wii U alot. I still use it almost everyday, and most of the time not even for games.

The gamepad is nice for:

-Games with heavy menu systems.

-Playing when someone else is watching TV.

-Stylus is great for entering stuff with a keyboard.

Streaming:

Youtube, Netflix, Amazon, and website streaming all work great. Sure you can have another device do this, but having 1 less device is also great.

Games:

Old Wii games work. I don't play them often. The Virtual Console for old NES\SNES\N64 between the Wii U and Wii is way better than any of the PS4 or Xbox console\arcade games. Exclusive games are great and creative.

What the Wii U is bad for -

Shooters. Just awful. No Halo or Men of Honor or any of those games. I don't play those anymore, so your mileage may vary.

Sports games. Totally ignored.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

It's hard to be disappointed with the Wii U after this years releases. The alternative is FPS galore.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I have an equal amount of first and third party games on my Wii U and, to my surprise, I've spent more time and enjoyment playing the third party games than the first party. There aren't many third party games, which is a shame, but most that are available are great and fun to play with. Its first party library is quality stuff, and the Off-TV gameplay has given me the opportunity to continue playing my games when my TV was occupied so many times. In fact, I'm pretty sure I play directly on the gamepad 80% of the time and I'll truly miss this feature if it's removed on the successor console.

I'm not completely satisfied with my Wii U, not until I play Zelda U and Xenoblade Chronicles X, but I've had a lot of fun with it for the past several months.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Very happy with it. Recently it has overwhelmed me with content (Mario Kart DLC, Smash, Bayonetta 2, Toad's Treasure Tracker). I'm sure someone new to the system will have plenty to play on it. Especially between other systems.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

No matter how much one enjoys the system, the smaller, more minor issues tend to get amplified and rightfully so. The system itself is a nice package but things that, in 2014, should not be issues, tend to be. For example, playing a 4 player online match of Smash Bros., only to have it so laggy (you could leave the room, get a beverage, come back and your character still hasn't moved) that it requires a disconnect only to find out you can't play again for X amount of minutes. Voice chat during online play even with strangers would be nice but I guess Nintendo still hasn't matured enough to implement something so simple in 2014. Maybe in 2015?

I have tremendous fun with the Wii U but it deals with issues from years ago and that gets frustrating as all hell. The games are available. The library is thorough provided you like Nintendo games. Of course if I want (and I do) third party games like Batman and the like, I need to look else where. Maybe one day a complete package will be released much like the SNES.

CrillanK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CrillanK
Member since 2008 • 272 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

No matter how much one enjoys the system, the smaller, more minor issues tend to get amplified and rightfully so. The system itself is a nice package but things that, in 2014, should not be issues, tend to be. For example, playing a 4 player online match of Smash Bros., only to have it so laggy (you could leave the room, get a beverage, come back and your character still hasn't moved) that it requires a disconnect only to find out you can't play again for X amount of minutes. Voice chat during online play even with strangers would be nice but I guess Nintendo still hasn't matured enough to implement something so simple in 2014. Maybe in 2015?

I have tremendous fun with the Wii U but it deals with issues from years ago and that gets frustrating as all hell. The games are available. The library is thorough provided you like Nintendo games. Of course if I want (and I do) third party games like Batman and the like, I need to look else where. Maybe one day a complete package will be released much like the SNES.

The voice chat thing is a per developer issue. They can implement it how they want and voice chat does exist. It's the exact same situation for achievements as developers are free to add achievements to their heart's content if they want. Hyrule Warriors has achievements and posts them to Miiverse which works pretty well. As far as lag online, I've heard pretty good things about Smash online and also Mario Kart 8 so maybe the issue is on your connection.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

Well, I just jumped straight into the Wii U after brushing aside the whole wii generation. With backward compatibility, between the two consoles, i have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at the sheer amount of games at my disposal.

Not everyone can find themselves in my situation though.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28  Edited By yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts

I'm loving my Wii U. Great game selection. Can't wait to see what's on the horizon.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

I love my Wii U as well. NSMBU, SM 3D World, MK8, Hyrule Warriors, SSB, Zombie U and Bayonetta 2 make this console worth the price of admission. With a new Zelda, Metroid and Starfox on the way, the Wii U is definitely worth your time and money!!

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@CrillanK said:

The voice chat thing is a per developer issue. They can implement it how they want and voice chat does exist. It's the exact same situation for achievements as developers are free to add achievements to their heart's content if they want. Hyrule Warriors has achievements and posts them to Miiverse which works pretty well. As far as lag online, I've heard pretty good things about Smash online and also Mario Kart 8 so maybe the issue is on your connection.

Nintendo is still acting like the babysitter though. Playing MK8 online and there wasn't chat. Playing Smash online and there isn't chat. Even when playing 2 on 2. Give the blame to Nintendo where it is rightfully deserved. Nintendo could make it mandatory while making communicating much easier. Other companies understand people want to communicate when playing together. The fun is usually enhanced. I also love in Smash how you can get banned for a period of time if you focus on one player too much. Believe me, I enjoy my Nintendo products very much but they will never lose the kiddie mantra if things like this continue.

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

Still very happy with this console. Just watched Game Awards and was happy to see Nintendo taking a few awards besides getting much credit from the Indie winners of Shovel Knight for helping them.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#32 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

Game wise? Contented but I wish 3rd parties supported it more. Got quite a lot of games for it and quite a few on the shelf I've yet to finish.

Online works and is free so can't complain. Could definitely be better but I don't always game online. The only problem I have is that certain games don't have a large online population.

The controllers? Gamepad is fantastic and feels great but definitely under utilized. It's nice to have it as a second screen for a map but games need to find a way to use it for more than just a "map screen". Pro controller feels great and the battery life is good unlike the gamepad.

All in all I'm quite satisfied. I haven't the time to play games as much as before but it's got enough going for it to keep me happy. With the work schedule I have right now, I think I'll do alright even if it was the only console I owned. However I'm being bombarded with great games at the moment on both the 3DS and Wii U so it seems my PS4 purchase might be delayed again.

Sym-Bionic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sym-Bionic
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I wish mine was bigger.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Had my Wii U since launch day, it was a long and rough time for awhile there, but I don't regret it. My PS4.....I regret that....I had never in my life bought a Sony product....till the PS4 (Just for Destiny) that blew up in my face....I should never have decided to give Sony a chance lol.

Starfox returning alone, cements the Wii U as the perfect choice for me. No game on the Xbox One, or PS4 will excite me the amount Starfox will with it's revival.

GamerNerdTalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#35 GamerNerdTalk
Member since 2011 • 341 Posts

I love my WiiU personally. I had no idea how many good games I missed out on on the wii, not to say the wiiu exclusives are brilliant. I must say I am very happy with the console

versaillestea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 versaillestea
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I bought my Wii U when Wind Waker HD was released. It was quite a dry spell back then...but now, I have stacked up more games than I can finish playing! The recent releases of exclusives have really made this system (finally) worth it! And I honestly was surprised at how amazing and clean the graphics that Nintendo pulled out of the Wii U was, when I got Mario Kart 8. If you love Nintendo's exclusive IP, the system is well worth it. If you're looking for 3rd party, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Assuming you enjoy Nintendo's 1st party software, the Wii U is probably the system with the most value currently, with the top notch quality in games that Nintendo releases. Also extremely excited for 2015: Zelda WiiU, Starfox, Yoshi, Kirby, Splatoon, etc.

I honestly have yet to understand why people want consoles to be able to run Youtube, Netflix, and all that stuff when their computer is right next to them. I buy a game console, to play games. And that is exactly what Nintendo delivers with their high quality software.

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#37 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts

I try to like it, but its just not that good. The new kart is all flash and little substance, Mario world is fun for a while, but like most games on the system its aimed at children. And that Zombie game, wtf was that, gave that a good chance but it was whack!

Too early to give up on the system, but its gathering heavy levels of dust already.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Its great!