Mandatory Download To Play Games That Previously Worked On Switch?

MegaNorm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 MegaNorm64
Member since 2020 • 48 Posts

Hello! I was in the mood to go play Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze at work after not playing that game for MONTHS, and I decided to bring it with my Switch to play on my lunch break. So, when I started my lunch, I booted it up and was greeted with a download required to play. I hit cancel because my Switch is not connected to the company wifi, but then the game refused to boot up. I used to able to play this game without any type of internet connection, so what the hell changed??? I had to connected my Switch to my phones hotspot to download the damn patch or whatever it is, but that totally defeated the purpose of playing my Switch on the go without an internet connection. That really REALLY bummed me out, especially since I was able to play that game last year on my lunch not connected to any wifi. Has anyone else experienced this? When did this start happening? I haven't booted up any other first party Nintendo IPs since probably April, so now I wonder if all 1st party IPs have this mandatory download for them now? The download took less than a second, so I doubt it even fixed anything. Seriously though, what a bummer.