What are some opinions that Nintendo fans are polarized on?

biberwoke95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By biberwoke95
Member since 2021 • 2 Posts

For example, I've heard a lot of people complain about how long it takes to unlock characters in Smash Bros, and claim that they like how its getting faster every time.

Then I've heard others lament how the unlock process has gotten too easy, and they wish they could unlock characters slower and with more fanfare like in melee.

Another would be about whether Mario 3D Land/World are closer to the 3D Mario games or the 2D Mario games.

What are some other opinions that Nintendo fans tend to be split on?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

There seems to be a fairly even divide whether Nintendo should go back to making more traditional consoles. A lot seem to wish they would compete directly with MS and Sony again, while many others like that they try new gimmicks with each new generation.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22401 Posts
@judaspete said:

There seems to be a fairly even divide whether Nintendo should go back to making more traditional consoles. A lot seem to wish they would compete directly with MS and Sony again, while many others like that they try new gimmicks with each new generation.

This is a good one... whilst a part of me would like a more powerful Nintendo console again like Gamecube, I think I'd prefer they try new things and experiment with their designs. Then sometimes you end up with brilliant machines like the Switch.

Another one is whether Mario Sunshine is a good game. I think a lot of Nintendo fans straight up don't like it... but I adore it.

Another that I personally thought of is that BOTW is waaaaaay overrated (lol, I know there is no polarization here as I know I am in the very small minority).

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@judaspete said:

This is a good one... whilst a part of me would like a more powerful Nintendo console again like Gamecube, I think I'd prefer they try new things and experiment with their designs. Then sometimes you end up with brilliant machines like the Switch.

Another one is whether Mario Sunshine is a good game. I think a lot of Nintendo fans straight up don't like it... but I adore it.

Another that I personally thought of is that BOTW is waaaaaay overrated (lol, I know there is no polarization here as I know I am in the very small minority).

I loved the Wii, liked the concept of Wii U but the Switch is what I wanted the Wii U to be. With that said, I do like the design choices. I might be the minority who preferred motion controls for many games. And the portability of Switch is super convenient, even for just couch play while the TV is on in the background. But part of me does wish for a "powerful" console where I can get a game like Breath of the Wild with more realism (a Twilight Princess look with all of the horsepower of a PS5/XBSX behind it.) But Nintendo manages to still pull it off... so I really can't complain.

Mario Sunshine for me was love and hate. There were times I absolutely despised it (camera issues, Mario felt too slippery, pachinko was a physics disaster, and the lily pad journey was a colossal waste of time.) I feel that if you played it just to finish, it's a great ride. If you played it to 100%, which I proudly did, the blue coin aspect is absolutely brutal. Some poor design choices like not accounting for what number of blue coins are in each chapter (obviously the world map will tell you how many you have of each world, but not the total you need or specific to what chapter). But, it was surprisingly enjoyable in retrospect and I did enjoy my time. To me, it's the worst of the true 3D Mario games (64, Galaxy1/2, Odyssey).

Breath of the Wild is a masterpiece to me, except, it could've been better at being "Zelda". The music, as good as it is, is not enough. I wanted more traditional dungeons because the shrine/beast designs are genius. And fighting blights of Ganon was boring. I would have preferred those monsters from previous entries.

My unpopular opinion: Mario Odyssey has way too many moons, which brings the game down for me. I 100%'d the game, and some moons just seemed like a colossal waste of time. I would have preferred a more narrow approach to the moons.