As a adult can you go back to watching cartoons you grew up on?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

For me I have so many fond memories of watching cartoons as a kid but I have no desire to ever watch them again. Obviously you can say I grew out of them but I also feel if watched them today it would ruin all the good memories I had as a kid watching them it's just not the same.

Anyways that's just me what about you guys do you watch any cartoons you grew up on? and if so are you still able to enjoy them?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56410 Posts

I sometimes always rewatch cartoons again, even a few of the 80s when they are campy such as He-Man, Transformers, and more to name. Rewatching cartoons never really hurt my fond memories when I enjoy them more as a child.

After playing TMNT: Shredder's Revenge game, I decided to revisit TMNT classic cartoons and while some can be ridiculous to watch, this is from the 80s and that was acceptable at that time.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2490 Posts

I am rewatching Batman, Dexter's Laboratory and Peanuts. Don't remember seeing that many Peanuts specials as a kid, though. Invader Zim (which I sometimes watched) DVD has been on my wishlist for a while.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 722 Posts

Well I was watching dragon ball super and if they continue it I will continue watching it.

Objectively in think it's shit. But somehow I still enjoy it.

Also I have not gotten tired of crayon shin Chan. That one, i still think it's good.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17694 Posts
@warmblur said:

For me I have so many fond memories of watching cartoons as a kid but I have no desire to ever watch them again. Obviously you can say I grew out of them but I also feel if watched them today it would ruin all the good memories I had as a kid watching them it's just not the same.

Anyways that's just me what about you guys do you watch any cartoons you grew up on? and if so are you still able to enjoy them?

No, I have no interest to watch old cartoons that I once enjoyed as a child.

My values have matured in what I want to take out of media I consume, and cartoons (such that I watched) are as an adult only entertaining on a surface level. They offer me nothing worth more than the time it takes for me to consume them, so I don't bother and seek media that tips the scale to the point where my time isn't worth more than what I absorb. Otherwise I'll find better uses for it elsewhere.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts

I love cartoons.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2387 Posts

Some like classic Looney Tunes I can but others like GI Joe have aged badly.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8385 Posts

Yeah I like cartoons. Looney Toons, DBZ, ren and stimpy, Johnny Bravo, Hey Arnold

the girlfriend gives me shit for liking them. But tbh she binge watches shit like Frasier and Friends so I say she has no room to talk lol

HBO max has a shit ton of classic Looney Toons. I legit subscribed just for the looney toons.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Silentchief  Online
Member since 2021 • 7062 Posts

Yep.

Was watching the old X-Men cartoon and Thundercats the other day. Much better then much of the trash today.

Avatar image for blackacezero777
blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11 blackacezero777
Member since 2021 • 353 Posts

Definitely, and I find that some are better as an adult. Kids Next Door is one. Right now I'm binging through Sonic Boom as I never got a chance to see it When Cartoon Network was showing it. After this I may rewatch Avatar or go through Hey Arnold as I never fully watched that one. I find animation to be more entertaining than most shows on today, especially since almost everything is some Reality TV B.S.

blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blackacezero777
@sargentd said:

HBO max has a shit ton of classic Looney Toons. I legit subscribed just for the looney toons.

Dude, HBO Max is my shit. It's whole animation catalog is what I grew up on. It allowed me to finally watch Justice League and Unlimited which I found to be amazing. The only one I can't get into is the Batman animated series. Not to say it's bad, it feels slow and I'm not sure what mindset I should go into with that specific series.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8385 Posts

@blackacezero777 said:
@sargentd said:

Dude, HBO Max is my shit. It's whole animation catalog is what I grew up on. It allowed me to finally watch Justice League and Unlimited which I found to be amazing. The only one I can't get into is the Batman animated series. Not to say it's bad, it feels slow and I'm not sure what mindset I should go into with that specific series.

loved batman animated series as a kid! never watched unlimited ill check it out. Animated series was my introduction to Batman in general, I didn't read comics. I pretty much got into super heroes through cartoon shows. but yeah x men the animated series, batman animated series, spiderman, I wouldn't know about any of it without the 90s cartoons.

blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blackacezero777

@sargentd: Unlimited was good, JL was the better of the two, but it definitely a good watch and good continuation. For someone who would like to get into the Batman series, what is the best way to get into the series?

Funny enough, most of those I didn't get into until me pre-teen years. I grew up during the days of Ed,Edd, N Eddy, Dexter's Lab, Kids Next Door (seriously, I recommend watching through this), Courage, Power Puff Girls, animated Disney shows at the time, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Goof Troop, etc. I will say I miss when Disney had Toon Disney/Jetix, some of the best shows and anime. Oban Star Racers was a hidden gem with those.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8785 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons - yes!

Duck Tales - no!

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10556 Posts

yeah i love cartoons from my childhood. not something i do super often but always enjoy the nostalgia when i do. watched disney's robin hood with my little nephews a few weeks ago. one of my favourites as a kid. they loved it. a nice pass the torch moment

Koinonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Koinonia
Member since 2016 • 22 Posts

No. My sense of taste polished over the years when I held fellowship with Asians (there were more than just Japanese) at our club looking into international shows. Some were crude but touching from old Tatsunoko (by today's seamless and casual anime). But I liked that a lot more than the stuff I've watched on the Disney afternoon which mind you were the top notch of the time. I didn't like the stories being one shots, or not too deep in morals however I do bring up they still hit the sweet spot about being a kid with fun, heart. It feels distance you know that I crave a story that speaks to my heart and my mind like a philosopher to grow on further.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

Jayce and the wheeled warriors, Transformers, GI Joe, Mask, The Real Ghostbusters, Voltron, etc.., Yep.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34775 Posts

Yes. Love it.

ChrisAnth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ChrisAnth
Member since 2022 • 2 Posts

@warmblur: Yes, we feel very good watching old cartoons. Like Samurai jack was the best cartoon series I have ever seen.

My other favorite series are Ben 10, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and Bugs Bunny. I don't know if its relevant but (after all its off-topic discussion) thanks to online downloader tools, especially www.YTubeConverter.com.

Using that I have downloaded above mentioned series and many others but life is unfair and I still haven't yet got the time to watch these.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

I watch an episode of G.I. Joe everyday with my after work bowl. So horribly cheesy. I'm also making my way through Gargoyles again. Whenever I need something on while preparing food I'll throw on old episodes of Loony Tunes or classic Disney cartoons.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts

yup, it's fun to rewatch them with my kids

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3142 Posts

Sure can. I think I like the golden age Looney Tunes even more now than I did as a child as I can appreciate the storytelling and artistry that went into them.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24947 Posts

I still like stuff like Pokémon, King of the Hill, The Simpsons, and those Mario and Sonic shows. Also used to watch Cartoon Network when I was a kid.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8466 Posts

Sure, why not?

I mean some may have aged poorly, but consider the ones you will gain a whole new appreciation for because they aged like fine wine.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

Some I can and some I can't. I don't know why either. The ones that had a mature tone like the 90s transformers, batman, spiderman, X-Men etc I can easily watch. The more goofier ones I have a harder time watching. Some, like the original Pokemon I can watch any time. But the stuff after the original 150 I can't watch. It became less creative to me.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Warm_Gun

I forgot about this joke. In the episode where Dexter owes NASA 200 million dollars. Made me laugh out loud, because I wasn't expecting it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44685 Posts

I still watch the Batman 90s animated show from time to time.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#29 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6108 Posts

I think it was called The Amazing Spider-Man and Friends back in the early to mid 80’s. Transformers and G. I. Joe also in the early 80’s. He-Man as well. Circle Square if I can remember the show’s name? I’m kinda foggy headed for remembering tv show’s in the 70’s and 80’s.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I'll enjoy Sponge Bob till the day I die IDGAF

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 414 Posts

I don't really go back and watch old cartoons that much to be honest. Usually If I am watching a cartoon anymore it's Futurama or King of the Hill or something. I get more of a nostalgia feel when I watch older sitcoms and things like that.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#32 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3664 Posts

I watched King of The Hill and SpongeBob SquarePants thought can't watch newer episodes of SpongeBob. Though I watched SpongeBob SquarePants when it originally aired and just like the first few seasons. King of The Hill, I never watched regularly though did watch a few episodes.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

Some yeah.

I remember one time though in my early 20s, was getting baked with a few buds and we were talking about how awesome the old Zelda cartoon was. Yep. So got on Ebay and ordered those tapes! Maaaaan, we were like wtf is this?

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MyCatIsMilk  Online
Member since 2022 • 1290 Posts

@warmblur: No. I have fond memories, but I spend my time with new things; socializing, work, gym, etc. The only time I probably do something that's related to a show I used to watch, is either a retrospective on YouTube, or a video game adaptation, like DBZ.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Warm_Gun

Got this about a week ago, to have some visual representation of my fondness for cartoons. I'm mostly not into CG animation, and turning a toon into a statue is basically the same thing, but I think the flat surfaces kind of get around that. Makes it less hyper-realistic than some Pixar thing. That's why it appealed to me over other Little Mermaid statues. Wasn't expensive.

My favorite of the "Disney Renaissance."

WladolfPutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WladolfPutler
Member since 2022 • 256 Posts

Even as a kid, i thought cartoons are kinda stupid and childish and i knew i am supposed to watch it coz kids in my age are...well...usually childish and stupid, that fact alone made me already hate cartoons.

So i actually just watched those cartoons who aren´t "too stupid and childish" but there weren´t much to pick from, so i remember I watched CAPTAIN FUTURE, TRANSFORMERS and MASK and i honestly loved it.

But i also watched TOM & JERRY while I didn´t found it to be that funny at all, i was more or less rather pissed because the cat never won, which i found to be extremely unfair and the actual reason for hating that show as well, so i kept watching it only to hopefully see that lovely cat win over that stupid fu**ing tiny mouse.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23058 Posts

@heathen75 said:

I watch an episode of G.I. Joe everyday with my after work bowl. So horribly cheesy. I'm also making my way through Gargoyles again. Whenever I need something on while preparing food I'll throw on old episodes of Loony Tunes or classic Disney cartoons.

Yeah, I absolutely cannot do 80s stuff. I don't think any of it, really.

A lot of stuff from the 90s on up got more clever. There's a real art to something like Adventure Time and even Ed Edd and Eddy.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#38 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Absolutely. Some episodes are more nostalgic than others though. Some also aren't as good as I remember them being!

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MyCatIsMilk  Online
Member since 2022 • 1290 Posts

@wladolfputler: I've seen at least two episodes where Tom won and the show just ended. There's one in particular where he "eats" that annoying little duck and Jerry. I was fulfilled that day.

WladolfPutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WladolfPutler
Member since 2022 • 256 Posts

@mycatismilk said:

@wladolfputler: I've seen at least two episodes where Tom won and the show just ended. There's one in particular where he "eats" that annoying little duck and Jerry. I was fulfilled that day.

LOL, i wonder what´s happened to the producers for letting the cat win, they probably had a bad day or something like that, when i think that there are so many episodes with the cat always getting owned.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

@mattbbpl said:
@heathen75 said:

Yeah, I absolutely cannot do 80s stuff. I don't think any of it, really.

A lot of stuff from the 90s on up got more clever. There's a real art to something like Adventure Time and even Ed Edd and Eddy.

My kid grew up on Cartoon Network and I was right there beside him. Dexter, EE&E, Powerpuff, Courage, Cow & Chicken, Johnny Bravo and I'm sure a few others I can't remember. Was a good time for cartoons for sure.