deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Today at Carl's, I asked what Beyond Burger was, and said it was like a Veggie Burger, so asked if I can get it on any burger, and they said yeah, and so got it on the Western Bacon. He asked if he should remove the bacon, and I said leave it on the one, cause wanted to test.

I've eaten a Western Bacon with, and without Bacon, and gotta say, the beyond meat tastes better. I thought people were crazy saying Veggie burgers have more flavor, but they do. I've actually had frozen veggie burgers for a few months now, and they are way nicer than the frozen burgers I use to get, which were always too greasy.

I'm not ready to be vegetarian, but I would meet half way and never eat Cow again, which I might just do. I'm not really into steak, more of a rib guy, but rather BBQ burgers, dogs and chicken. I think I could be vegan if burgers, chicken and bacon all had substitutes everywhere I go. Cause I'm not big on dairy, and even then I know they got vegan options if I really cared.

I think hardest would be Chinese/Japanese/Sea Food cause doubt they'd serve veggie versions of meat. I guess fried rice without meat, with Egg Foo Yong, and could eat from veggie sushi section. So yeah just need "Beyond Chicken", and "Beyond Bacon", and I'd be fine.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#2 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Science!

Though to be frank, China's been developing meat substitutes for over a thousand years. It's just this has now been taken to the next level.

Now, just waiting for the things to arrive in my neck of the woods.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

I keep meaning to get over to burger king and try the impossible whopper. I tried the beyond burger about a month ago, grilled it myself, and was sadly disappointed in how bad it was.

I think it's probable that the beyond burger works better as a fast food patty than a thick burger cooked on a charcoal grill. The only thing is that I don't ever eat at Hardee's/Carl Jr's anymore due to a general lack of convenience.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serraph105

Also, kfc is about to launch beyond chicken and subway is looking at offering an impossible meat option for their meatball subs.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18811 Posts

@Serraph105: "Also, kfc is about to launch beyond chicken and subway is looking at offering an impossible meat option for their meatball subs."

So we're going back to that healthy era?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9416 Posts

Interesting.

I didn't realize so many fast food joints started doing this.

I wonder if it's cheaper for them.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38686 Posts

tried the beyond burger a few months ago at home. once you pop it on a bun w/ some toppings flavor wise it was tough to tell the difference between it and a beef burger. it was definitely not as juicy however. but if you like your burgers well done (ew) then the difference might be tough to discern.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Serraph105

@PSP107: none of it is very healthy from what I understand. The impossible whopper is only 30 calories less than the normal whopper for example. The advantages are that it's supposed to taste the same, be far more environmentally friendly, and no animals had to die in the process.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18811 Posts

@Serraph105: "The impossible whopper is only 30 calories less than the normal whopper for example."

Might as well get the regular whopper.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I'm a vegetarian for 15+ years. I haven't had flesh for so long I don't really look for an alternative that tastes like flesh. However I think it is awesome that they can create an alternative to real flesh for people who like the taste of it. While the calories might be about the same, remember that there are way more health factors to it. It won't come with antibiotics in it. There are no traces of bone or pus in your burger. Add to that that you didn't have to kill an animal and it is more eco-friendly and you have a hard time justifying real meat.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Serraph105

@ArchoNils2 said:

I'm a vegetarian for 15+ years. I haven't had flesh for so long I don't really look for an alternative that tastes like flesh. However I think it is awesome that they can create an alternative to real flesh for people who like the taste of it. While the calories might be about the same, remember that there are way more health factors to it. It won't come with antibiotics in it. There are no traces of bone or pus in your burger. Add to that that you didn't have to kill an animal and it is more eco-friendly and you have a hard time justifying real meat.

Generally speaking I'm all for it, but they really have got to nail the taste and mouth feel. The smell as well. The beyond burger didn't quite get there for me, but perhaps they're better at it at Hardee's in some way, but I would have to give it a taste to be sure.

It's also worth noting that, regardless of how hard this may have been to create, creating an alternative to ground meat is kind of the low hanging fruit. The Impossible guys were definitely brilliant for Creating a chicken breast or steak veggie alternative is just a much more difficult task, but in my opinion lab grown "clean" meat that's cost effective is what would be the big breakthrough replacement for those. Not sure how the animal rights crowd would feel about meat that didn't mean killing an animal, or the vegetarian crowd for that matter, but these aren't really for them either.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

You guys enjoy your fake meat. I'm going to a steakhouse.

Loading Video...

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22408 Posts

That's interesting to hear.

I don't eat much meat anymore anyway, but meat alternatives like this are extremely important going forward (combating climate change and of course animal rights).

bgres077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#14 bgres077
Member since 2005 • 12694 Posts

You're comparing it to a fast food patty. Not exactly a big hurdle to pass to taste better than Carl's Jr "beef."

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9836 Posts

I took the impossible burger patty out of the sandwich, and it tasted slightly better than vegetarian burgers I had eaten before, but nothing like meat. Much drier, and different tasting.

I'd still get one for health reasons, but I'd much rather do a pasta with pesto if I wanted a vegetarian meal.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6853 Posts

Nice!

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Too bad these processed fake meats are worse for you than actual meat.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44647 Posts

If it's fast food I doubt it is good for you anyways, even if it is vegetarian.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Yeah, you do that. I will stick with the real thing.