Current or historical politicians you support(ed) and admire?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts

Senator Paul Wellstone. Suspiciously died in a plane crash. Was known to be quite liberal.

Al Franken. Ok yes, he jokingly almost groped a sleeping soldier. That's pretty bad, but at least he didn't grab women by their sexual organs and brag about it.

I almost ran him over in an armored car. Didn't know who he was, just that he was jaywalking and in my way. I flipped the siren switch on him and he was startled. As we passed I recognized him. Would have been better to meet him in better circumstances. Loved reading his book on Limbaugh in high school.

And of course old honest Abe! And/or General Thade, who gave em' hell, whilst saving the planet entire!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58393 Posts

I don't really have a favorite politician, just ones I support because they represent my ideals.

I'm a big fan of AOC, though. Not necessarily because I like what she has to say all the time, but it's reassuring to know people like her are active in politics. She is intelligent and passionate and seems to have a lot of empathy and still seems like she is in touch with her roots.

We always talk about electing "outsiders" and she certainly seems like one, and a good one at that. I like her style. She doesn't start fights but she sure can finish them.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

I don't really have a favorite politician, just ones I support because they represent my ideals.

Maybe I should re-phrase the topic. Been writing too many fave this and that topics anyway.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrbojangles25

@DEVILinIRON said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Maybe I should re-phrase the topic. Been writing too many fave this and that topics anyway.

Nah I think it's fine 😀 I was just being overly particular 😋

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 343 Posts

Trump. He was one of the most entertaining presidents ever to take the helm. We need more laugh and comedy especially in these times.

I hope you guys vote him to power once more.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts

Not sure. I guess Robert The Bruce does count.

I don't paint him as some immaculate hero other Scottish people do, but at the same time his achievement is undeniable. Man should have been dead 100 times over.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#8 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19587 Posts

Jeremy Corbyn (UK)

Nelson Mandela (South Africa)

Can't think of any US politicians though.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8298 Posts

Ron Paul, Big Fan

Loading Video...

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#10 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

I'm a history enthusiast, so I inevitably have to study and learn about a lot of politicians. And the one conclusion I've come to from my studies is this: f*** all politicians. Every last one of them, past and present.

Humans are stupid, short-sighted, self-serving, self-deluding, overly emotional, overly attached to things, too easily corruptible, and they f*** up. Humans are the weakest link and the fatal flaw of every government system, and the primary reason why all of them inevitably fail. Therefore, humans should not be allowed to govern other humans - at least not without some kind of a counterbalance to their myriad of flaws.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

There are some others who may have superceded him if I was alive to witness how they lived their lives outside of politics, but I have mad respect for Jimmy Carter. He was truly a man with outstanding character.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrbojangles25

@mattbbpl said:

There are some others who may have superceded him if I was alive to witness how they lived their lives outside of politics, but I have mad respect for Jimmy Carter. He was truly a man with outstanding character.

Yep, if I could like a politician at that level, I'd probably like him. He seemed the least likely to be a sociopath (whereas essentially all presidents are more or less certifiable sociopaths)

@sargentd said:

Ron Paul, Big Fan

Yeah, I don't know if I'd vote for him, but I could live with him being president these days if he did win.

@madrocketeer said:

I'm a history enthusiast, so I inevitably have to study and learn about a lot of politicians. And the one conclusion I've come to from my studies is this: f*** all politicians. Every last one of them, past and present.

Humans are stupid, short-sighted, self-serving, self-deluding, overly emotional, overly attached to things, too easily corruptible, and they f*** up. Humans are the weakest link and the fatal flaw of every government system, and the primary reason why all of them inevitably fail. Therefore, humans should not be allowed to govern other humans - at least not without some kind of a counterbalance to their myriad of flaws.

This is why I want AI to run things.

We've all seen horror and sci-fi movies where the AI ruins things but jesus it can't be worse than people can it? Genuine question: think of all the politicians over the world and for every half-way decent one theres 10,000 maniacs.

Bring on the movies where AI saves humanity! 😋

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#13  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

@mrbojangles25:

Sure. As I implied, I think it's a fundamental flaw to be overly attached to any government system, and think we should always be ready to reform, experiment and try new ideas. That includes involving AI in at least some capacity.

As I often like to say; "absolute stagnation equals effective regression."

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Jack Layton. I don't think there was ever a politician in Canada who was as universally respected as him.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34668 Posts

Can't think of any. Bet there have been good ones, but everyone I know about is more or less an asshole.