Do you physically fit people use dietary supplements?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8778 Posts

I'm thinking if I get back into shape, the best way to do so would be with energy giving and protein packed dietary supplements. I ask those who are fit, do you take such things to help you out?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23045 Posts

Weight gain 4000 = Beefcake.

It's science.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

Not really. I shoot for 80-100 g of protein per day and if I can't get there via regular food intake (I usually can) I'll have a protein shake (I like the Premier Protein drinks. Banana flavor FTW!).

I do take a multivitamin and some extra vitamin D. I swear vitamin D really made a huge difference in my mood and energy levels, highly recommend a vitamin D supplement.

Honestly though I would just go see your doctor and get a comprehensive blood panel done; test for vitamins, cholesterol, diabetes (I forgot the exact name for it....A1C?), thyroid issues, and even testosterone if you're male though make sure you're checking for free testosterone not just total.

When you get the results back, go over it with your doctor and then take what you need.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mrbojangles25
@DEVILinIRON said:

I'm thinking if I get back into shape, the best way to do so would be with energy giving and protein packed dietary supplements. I ask those who are fit, do you take such things to help you out?

I highly recommend getting into a meal-prep routine. The best way to get your nutrients (both macro and micro) is through regular food intake.

Not sure how much you like to cook, but it's a good hobby to have and quite tasty too!

I meal prep every Sunday for my work week, and usually focus on proteins. I try to get 20-30 g of protein per meal. Unless you're focusing on bulking or cutting, I wouldn't stress too much about your carb count or fat intake so long as you're getting the right kind of carbs and fat.

Just to give you an example of what you can do:

• Pad krapow with ground turkey. It's a thai dish of quick stir-fried minced meat with basil and a nice sauce. Serve it over rice. Takes all of 10-20 minutes to make. Very tasty! You can use just about any meat you want, from pork to chicken to some diced cod fish or whatever. 4 oz of ground turkey = 30 g protein
  • Kalua pork served on cabbage. Takes a few hours to cook, but all of 10 minutes to actually prepare. The steps are: buy pork shoulder, rub pork shoulder with salt and liquid smoke, cover in pot, cook low and slow until falling apart. Shred a bunch of cabbage or serve on rice or mac salad like a proper Hawaiian meal! 4 oz of pulled pork = 15 g protein
  • Scrambled eggs. Usually 2-3 scrambled eggs with some cheese or ham or something. I always keep some eggs at home ready to go, and if I don't use them all I will hardboil them and keep on hand for an on-the-go snack. Three eggs, one slice of cheddar cheese, and 2 oz ham = 35 g protein

So right there I am at 80 g protein, and eating very modest portions with lots of vitamins, minerals, some fiber and veggies. You can easily add some roasted or steamed veggies to the pork for more substance, brown rice, etc. in addition to upping your serving size, adding in some high-protein snacks (yogurt, protein shake, etc), or even another meal.

The reason I emphasize getting your nutrients through regular eating is I've seen some friends go a bit too hard on the supplement-only thing and they had kidney issues related to a diet of protein powder and whole rotisserie chickens every day lol. Unless you're entering into a competition of some sort, if you're just doing this for general fitness, you might as well hone your cooking skills, have some fun with a great hobby, and make some really tasty stuff to eat that is also high in protein.

Anyway, that's my rant! Coming from a former chef and someone that struggled with their weight (and learned a lot along the way!) their whole life.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8778 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Thanks for the rant! I'll read the entirety when a chance reveals itself.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 Nirgal  Online
Member since 2019 • 692 Posts

I get protein drinks (or as I like to call it, leftover cheese juice)

Though I am probably not the best example as I have been slacking off a lot lately.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10474 Posts

yeah i take a boat load of supplements every morning, some in the evening and have a meal supplement for lunch

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127512 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@DEVILinIRON said:

I highly recommend getting into a meal-prep routine. The best way to get your nutrients (both macro and micro) is through regular food intake.

Not sure how much you like to cook, but it's a good hobby to have and quite tasty too!

I meal prep every Sunday for my work week, and usually focus on proteins. I try to get 20-30 g of protein per meal. Unless you're focusing on bulking or cutting, I wouldn't stress too much about your carb count or fat intake so long as you're getting the right kind of carbs and fat.

Just to give you an example of what you can do:

• Pad krapow with ground turkey. It's a thai dish of quick stir-fried minced meat with basil and a nice sauce. Serve it over rice. Takes all of 10-20 minutes to make. Very tasty! You can use just about any meat you want, from pork to chicken to some diced cod fish or whatever. 4 oz of ground turkey = 30 g protein
  • Kalua pork served on cabbage. Takes a few hours to cook, but all of 10 minutes to actually prepare. The steps are: buy pork shoulder, rub pork shoulder with salt and liquid smoke, cover in pot, cook low and slow until falling apart. Shred a bunch of cabbage or serve on rice or mac salad like a proper Hawaiian meal! 4 oz of pulled pork = 15 g protein
  • Scrambled eggs. Usually 2-3 scrambled eggs with some cheese or ham or something. I always keep some eggs at home ready to go, and if I don't use them all I will hardboil them and keep on hand for an on-the-go snack. Three eggs, one slice of cheddar cheese, and 2 oz ham = 35 g protein

So right there I am at 80 g protein, and eating very modest portions with lots of vitamins, minerals, some fiber and veggies. You can easily add some roasted or steamed veggies to the pork for more substance, brown rice, etc. in addition to upping your serving size, adding in some high-protein snacks (yogurt, protein shake, etc), or even another meal.

The reason I emphasize getting your nutrients through regular eating is I've seen some friends go a bit too hard on the supplement-only thing and they had kidney issues related to a diet of protein powder and whole rotisserie chickens every day lol. Unless you're entering into a competition of some sort, if you're just doing this for general fitness, you might as well hone your cooking skills, have some fun with a great hobby, and make some really tasty stuff to eat that is also high in protein.

Anyway, that's my rant! Coming from a former chef and someone that struggled with their weight (and learned a lot along the way!) their whole life.

Shouldn't you be getting 160-180 g of proteins?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrbojangles25

@horgen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@DEVILinIRON said:

Depending on what ratio you're going for in your carb:pro:fat, it varies.

General belief is you need about 10-30% of your intake as protein; alternatively they say about 0.5-1.0 g protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

2000 calorie diet x 20% (just averaging the %) = 400 calories from protein.

Protein = 4 calories/gram...so 100 g.

Doing too much protein is rough on your kidneys. I think you should only go high if you're doing some serious weightlifting or something.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

I'm hesitant to call myself "physically fit" at the moment, as I haven't quite gotten myself back to where I want to be. At least my cardio and strength are good, just need to shed a few more lbs of fat.

Nothing other than a daily multi-vitamin, and I do have a protein shake before bed, using PVL whey isolate powder, with half of a frozen banana, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and 1% milk + ice.

It's not necessary, as I could eat some chicken breast with greens before bed instead, but I just find it convenient.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator

@mrbojangles25 said:
@horgen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@DEVILinIRON said:

Depending on what ratio you're going for in your carb:pro:fat, it varies.

General belief is you need about 10-30% of your intake as protein; alternatively they say about 0.5-1.0 g protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

2000 calorie diet x 20% (just averaging the %) = 400 calories from protein.

Protein = 4 calories/gram...so 100 g.

Doing too much protein is rough on your kidneys. I think you should only go high if you're doing some serious weightlifting or something.

I thought it was 0.5-1g protein per pound of bodyweight... Well ideal bodyweight.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

I work out five to six days a week, usually in the morning, eat real food afterwards, heavy in protein, with a fruit and yogurt smoothy. Just eat actually food, stay away from the carbs past 9pm, and drink a lot of water (I don't drink alcohol, coffee, or soda). Eat fruit when you want something sweet. It's really that simple.

6'9" 230lbs, less than 10lbs of body fat. Look better than Baywatch coming up the beach, lol. My sister told me that this past summer.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 horgen  Moderator

@Fuhrer_D said:

I work out five to six days a week, usually in the morning, eat real food afterwards, heavy in protein, with a fruit and yogurt smoothy. Just eat actually food, stay away from the carbs past 9pm, and drink a lot of water (I don't drink alcohol, coffee, or soda). Eat fruit when you want something sweet. It's really that simple.

6'9" 230lbs, less than 10lbs of body fat. Look better than Baywatch coming up the beach, lol. My sister told me that this past summer.

Bodyfat below 5%? Find that hard to believe.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

I would say a lot of fit people do.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23940 Posts

I do take a supplement containing vitamin B12, D3 and calcium. Other than that, I just enjoy big portions with a lot of different stuff in them. My average meal contains over a dozen different types of veggies.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1104 Posts

@Fuhrer_D: It's nature's candy. Melon, pineapple, oranges, mango, peaches, berries, fruit really is satisfying as a snack.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15579 Posts

Do you want to be lean or buff? You don't really need supplements either way but if you are building or maintaining muscle, it can help.

I personally have a protein shake with coffee and water every day for breakfast because it's easy and kind of meditative to mix it together while I wake up. But if you're just trying to lose fat and not necessarily gain or maintain muscle, protein supplements might actually be counterintuitive because if you don't manage your calories and type of training, you could gain fat instead of lose it or build muscle.

Multi-vitamin is fine and can help slightly but it should be noted if you're cooking yourself a legitimately balanced diet every day then you probably don't need it. Other supplements such as fish oil, calcium, iron, etc, have been shown to support exercise and training but they're not necessary in most cases, and only have marginal impact when compared with what your diet is like.

If possible, consult a dietitian or personal trainer to discuss your needs vs your goals, as well as your expectations. You won't get very solid health advice from a gaming forum. Most of these people are slobs in disguise.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23940 Posts
@Vaasman said:

Do you want to be lean or buff? You don't really need supplements either way but if you are building or maintaining muscle, it can help.

I personally have a protein shake with coffee and water every day for breakfast because it's easy and kind of meditative to mix it together while I wake up. But if you're just trying to lose fat and not necessarily gain or maintain muscle, protein supplements might actually be counterintuitive because if you don't manage your calories and type of training, you could gain fat instead of lose it or build muscle.

Multi-vitamin is fine and can help slightly but it should be noted if you're cooking yourself a legitimately balanced diet every day then you probably don't need it. Other supplements such as fish oil, calcium, iron, etc, have been shown to support exercise and training but they're not necessary in most cases, and only have marginal impact when compared with what your diet is like.

If possible, consult a dietitian or personal trainer to discuss your needs vs your goals, as well as your expectations. You won't get very solid health advice from a gaming forum. Most of these people are slobs in disguise.

This us really important to note.

Everyone's metabolism differs too, same with reactions and whatnot. Listen to dietitians, do NEVER EVER listen to randoms on the internet on nutrition. There is so much quackery going on.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44589 Posts

I'd like to learn more about nutrition in sense of combating central nervous system fatigue. I think this is the wall I've hit, not for working out, I have a physically taxing job. I'm doing work hardening to recover from an injury and get back to work and strength and stamina not so much seems to be what's limiting me, it's the recovery to keep up with that work day after day.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3428 Posts

Not really, I eat what I feel like and do regular exercise. The only thing I try to control is my cheese intake, because I love it and am lactose intolerant. I love sweets too, but I have them as a reward only. Like, I can only eat a doughnut if I reach 3 days a week of exercise, and a second one on the 6th.

Other than that I just don't eat shit food. I love cooking and use quality and diverse ingredients, so it's relatively easy to eat well.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mrbojangles25
@kathaariancode said:

Not really, I eat what I feel like and do regular exercise. The only thing I try to control is my cheese intake, because I love it and am lactose intolerant. I love sweets too, but I have them as a reward only. Like, I can only eat a doughnut if I reach 3 days a week of exercise, and a second one on the 6th.

Other than that I just don't eat shit food. I love cooking and use quality and diverse ingredients, so it's relatively easy to eat well.

Yeah, cooking is a really under appreciated skill I've noticed. Especially among folks my age or younger. I don't want to be "that guy", the "well actually..." but...well, I am that guy when it comes to food and cooking 😋

I actually don't eat processed food as a habit just because I like cooking so much, it kind of naturally works out. It's why I can eat the stuff I eat but my cholesterol is at 100 and my sodium levels are good.

I made some braised short ribs and while it cooks for 3-5 hours, it only takes about 20 minutes of active work. Sear meat, saute veggies, add wine and stock and herbs, throw in oven. Watch a movie with your significant other, who keeps saying how good it smells and loves a man that can cook. Take the short ribs out, reduce the sauce, spoon ribs and sauce over polenta. It's about 7 ingredients. Better than what you'd get in all but the fanciest of restaurants (not a brag; anyone can do it).

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

I've been very lazy since August last year and only starting to get back in shape now.

The only supplement I take is a vitamin C, D and zinc enriched orange juice, because I can feel the difference. I used to drink a lot of protein shakes a few years ago, when I was working out a stupid amount. I experienced some weird side effects, though, so I figure they probably contained ingredients which weren't listed on the label. Probably overly cautious but I steer clear these days.

Now I'm just trying to eat healthily. It's a struggle because I don't enjoy cooking. I'll eat some kind of meat dish each day but try not to overdo it anymore. Already made that mistake in my keto days. Fish is quick, easy and cheap for a main protein source, so lots of sardines and mackerel, since they don't require any special preparation. Same for eggs. They're also high in vitamin D, which is crucial during winter, living as far north as I do. Other than that, I try to get a salad down each day and vary my staples as much as I can. That's about it.

I'm not following a strict macro or calorie regimen anymore, because I can't be arsed. I've got a good idea of my ratios and how to meet them by now. I don't eat if I feel full and do if I feel weak, tired or experience cravings.

Bored myself shitless writing that and I do believe it shows, lol. Please appreciate.