Have you ever hurt someone directly or indirectly? How did/do you reconcile things with them?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8777 Posts

So I believe I caused someone to quit their job. I would rather not get into the details, but how might I reconcile things? I also believe I indirectly caused someone to move away, due to rent getting higher from people moving into the area. I'm one of those people who moved into the area. Should I feel guilt for indirectly hurting this person, or is this just the way the cookie crumbles?

Finally, have you ever hurt someone directly or indirectly? How did you make things right?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38681 Posts

As a kid, yeah, pretty sure I hurt others and I'm not proud of that as an adult.

Fell out of touch w/ people so never apologized or made up for it. Still feel bad when I think about it though.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58340 Posts

I tend to be overly prone to feelings of guilt to the point where I will talk about things I'm ashamed of and the people I'm talking to about it, sometimes the alleged "wronged party", are like "bro what are you talking about? I don't even remember".

So I don't think I've ever really hurt or wronged anyone bad enough to warrant remembering, to be honest. Even though I do remember lol. I tend to value others' happiness more than my own so I stress over every little thing.

I'm pretty Christ-like, when you get down to it. And humble. Probably the most humble person ever.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23038 Posts

I think my favorite personal story about this went the other way. A good friend of mine thought he hurt me back in high school. Sometime during our junior year, I think, he disassociated from all of us. He just disappeared for over a decade, and got angry whenever we tried to reach out. Then one day he called me out of the blue and started going into some long winded apology, and I said, "Listen man, I'm not even mad. You didn't harm us, my feelings aren't hurt, and we've been waiting for you to come back. Let's just call some people for a beer or two and catch up."

Life's too short to hold grudges. Shut up and have a drink, lol.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58340 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

I think my favorite personal story about this went the other way. A good friend of mine thought he hurt me back in high school. Sometime during our junior year, I think, he disassociated from all of us. He just disappeared for over a decade, and got angry whenever we tried to reach out. Then one day he called me out of the blue and started going into some long winded apology, and I said, "Listen man, I'm not even mad. You didn't harm us, my feelings aren't hurt, and we've been waiting for you to come back. Let's just call some people for a beer or two and catch up."

Life's too short to hold grudges. Shut up and have a drink, lol.

I love stories like this. And you can tell a good friendship by the ability to just sort of pick up where you left off last, be it yesterday or ten plus years ago.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8425 Posts

I'm pretty sure most everyone has hurt someone's feelings at some point in life. It's just part of being human and the reality that it's impossible to get everyone to like you.

You need to learn to not sulk on shit like that, and come to terms no one cares about it as much as you do when you get to that level of self-pity. There's usually a high chance the person you believed you "hurt" wasn't even affected in any significant manner in the first place and they're living their best life. As you can see by most of the responses in this thread, most of the stories that have been shared so far have the same conclusion that perceptions of guilt were never as bad as they seemed when closure was made.

On the other end, don't fall victim to gaslighting. Sometimes the people you may believe you "hurt" are actually the assholes and they're just manipulating you into feeling horrible. Analyze one's character closely, and sometimes you'll realize the person carries anger and resentment with them everywhere they go, and they do whatever it takes to make everyone else feel bad as a means to avoid their own accountability. There are narcissists like this in the world, and if they ever target you just know they don't deserve your guilt.

If you ever make a mistake, own up to your humility, learn from it and move on. Sulking on things will do you no good.