DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8782 Posts

What films of his have you seen and what do you think?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58436 Posts

Overall I am a fan.

What I liked from him:

• The Sixth Sense
  • The Super Hero trilogy
    • Unbreakable: the OG of the series and one of Bruce Willis' better films imo, which is saying a lot because Die Hard is amazing
    • Split: just a great movie, great acting.
    • Glass: arguably the weakest of the three, it sort of phoned it in, but I enjoyed it. I liked the conspiracy part of it (how there was this organization), I liked the interactions of the three archetypes--the hero, the psycho, and the brain--and so on.
  • Lady in the Water. I know pretty much no one likes this movie, but I really enjoyed it. It was whimsical, a modern fairy tale told in a unique setting. Big Paul Giamatti fan, and Bryce Dallas Howard was great as well. Only thing I didn't like was M. Night's self-worship in the film, but apparently there is a whole big bag of drama behind that from what I've read.
  • The Happening. Yeah it was cheesy and lame but I liked it.

What I felt indifferent about or even kind of disliked:

• Signs. I know this is heralded as one of his better movies, and I thought it was well made, but I just don't like it.
  • The Village. I hate Adrian Brody. Sorry not sorry. I did like the "twist" at the end, I thought it was pretty cool, but that movie should have been a 20-minute installment on some horror or mystery anthology.
  • After Earth. Sci-fi from M. Night? Sounds like it could be good...but it wasn't. Will Smith and Will Smith's son just couldn't pull it off.
  • The Visit. It wasn't bad and this is the more "Hitchcock" of all his films imo, but it also wasn't that great and I don't like ageism which this film has a lot of.

I understand why people don't like M. Night Shyamalan because he comes off as a bit too clever for his own good and no one is as smart or as clever as they think they are. His movies tend to fluctuate in quality as well, going from "Wow what a masterpiece" to "Huh?!".

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Signs is easily my favorite movie from him I haven't seen OLD yet as far as his other movies I really don't care about them.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56285 Posts

Yo M. Night, whatever happened to the planned The Last Airbender sequel you wanted to do?

Anyway, M. Night Shyamalan has always been a hit or miss, he's been making good movies lately and Old was decent enough for me to warrant a good watch. His other movies I like were:

• Signs
  • The Happening (Marky Mark did okay in this film)
  • The Last Airbender (The CGI/Special effects were spot on but that couldn't save this train wreck of a fav cartoons adaption)
  • After Earth (The concept was good but Will Smith's Son really hurt the film, it's lucky it made it into my list)

Shymalan is talented, but his ego crippled him in the past, but glad he's doing good nowadays and he's still a decent director when given the right materials to work with.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59207 Posts

Most of the time he misses, his ego and the hype made him not particularly palatable, but I do think Unbreakable is legit one of the best superhero movies made. He tries to be a pretentious dick constantly, but it is legit clever imo.

While Split isn't quite there, the "what a twist" did get me. Sitting there watching a cinematic universe without realizing, while other superhero movies are desperately obnoxious about it.

Glass was a mixed bag, but it was at least different. Seen some people act like it's the worst thing ever, the usual internet hyperbole.

Haven't seen Last Airbender and kinda can't remember much of Signs TBH.

Was never big on Six Sense, watched it after Unbreakable so the wow-factor wasn't really there.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts

Never heard of him until I researched. Turns out I have seen a few of his films.

The Sixth Sense - An okay film. Couldn't get into it. I will need to watch it again at a later stage.

Stuart Little - Saw it as a kid in school. An average film.

Devil - An interesting horror film and creative. Being stuck in an elevator. Saw it two or three times now. Great film.

Split - A quality psychological horror film. The antagonist did a very good job at portraying his role.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15961 Posts

I like M. Night Shyamalan and I personally avoid all teasers, trailers and reviews till I watch his films. He is like a lootbox, I never know what I will get sometimes amazing but many times shit and its part of the charms.

Though, really did get burned by his production when he did Avatar and After Earth. Those probably one of his worst movie directing periods.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

Fantastic director, inconsistent writer. All of his films are well made, beautifully shot, and generally well paced (he's very good at the slow burn, when the writing is up to par anyway). He had a few good ideas early on, but I think he would be better served getting someone else to write the script from here on out.

Avatar image for deactivated-64fbf588222fb
deactivated-64fbf588222fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-64fbf588222fb
Member since 2021 • 1253 Posts

He's easily amongst TOP 5 worst directors of all time.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#10 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Can't say I've seen any of his stuff if I can recall correctly.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34702 Posts

I've seen The Sixth Sense, which I enjoyed. Also seen Signs, which was pretty terrible, but I still enjoyed it.

That's about it.

Edit: Oh yeah, saw The Last Airbender as well. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59207 Posts

@omegamaster said:

Never heard of him until I researched. Turns out I have seen a few of his films.

The Sixth Sense - An okay film. Couldn't get into it. I will need to watch it again at a later stage.

Devil - An interesting horror film and creative. Being stuck in an elevator. Saw it two or three times now. Great film.

Split - A quality psychological horror film. The antagonist did a very good job at portraying his role.

Never seen Unbreakable? Super recommended. The ending (and in general the theme of the film) will make more sense as well.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

He's made some bad movies but those that were good really stand out among the stream of Hollywood blockbusters. In particular The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, The Village, Split and Glass range from excellent to at least intriguing. All in all I'm quite interested in his work.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@omegamaster said:

Never seen Unbreakable? Super recommended. The ending (and in general the theme of the film) will make more sense as well.

I have heard about it. Never watched it I am afraid. I Will give this ago... that's if I choose to pay Disney+.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#15 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

After The Last Airbender, I realised that he's a one trick pony.

Nice trick when he gets it right, mind, but it becomes samey after a while.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44632 Posts

I watched Split not knowing he made it until the very end, but I enjoyed it. That had me hyped for Glass, which was a typical M Night Shyamalan let-down. I'd say typically he does great build-up but horrible conclusions. Still, I will watch his films because he has potential.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jaydan  Online
Member since 2015 • 8445 Posts

I never walked out of a theater, but I was painfully close to walking out of an M. Night Shyamalan film, The Happening.

I thought that movie was so atrocious that I haven't bothered to see a movie of his since then.

I'm gonna be a Sixth Sense purist, and Signs wasn't half bad either.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16582 Posts

M night is sort of like Spielberg, his early movies were amazing but afterwards he started to stink. I mean, the 6th sense shocked me so bad when I found out. I was like nooooo....don't do this to me haha. The 6th sense is and will remain an American classic, along side jaws, Indiana Jones etc.

His other movies are ok, some good some bad. He's had some real stinkers though. Well he's got paid either way. The 6th sense carried his entire career.

veranvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 veranvan
Member since 2021 • 3 Posts

I feel like he was fun in the mid 2000s but he was never exactly great. Unbreakable I think was a pretty excellent movie, and Signs screwed me up as a kid. Specifically the scene where they are watching the tv in the closet. Overall I think he's just kinda okay, he makes fun dumb movies most the time and awful dog shit other times.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#20 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

I'm on the fence, I've like a few and dislike a few of his films. I really enjoyed Signs and the Sixth Sense though.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22401 Posts

I've only seen Signs, which I enjoyed.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

I like him overall. I really liked Signs, 6th Sense, The Village, Lady in the Water, and The Trilogy.

That stated, Avatar was easily one of the worst movies ever made, and I regret ever watching it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6157a8137e0d3
deactivated-6157a8137e0d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6157a8137e0d3
Member since 2021 • 47 Posts

No.