MSNBC vs Fox News, which one is better, OT?

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By samanthademeste

Poll MSNBC vs Fox News, which one is better, OT? (26 votes)

MSNBC 54%
Fox News 46%

I am not American and I don't watch either one of them, so I am not voting. Which news outlet do you think is better?

• 
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Both are editorialized garbage.

There is no news just infotainment sources that cater to and reinforce the ideas of the demographics that watch them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Pointless thread, neither are a hive mind entity. There are different anchors on both with lots of varying opinions and viewpoints. Someone like Shepard Smith (who is awesome) or Chris Wallace can just as easily exist on MSNBC, likewise with some of MSNBC's anchors.

If you are asking "who has the worst lowpoints?" I'd probably say FOX News.

For the record you shouldn't watch either. The 24/7 news cycle has destroyed TV news. Stick to PBS Newshour or BBC World News America's 30 minute program if you want TV news.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Riverwolf007

@Aljosa23: how are they not a hive mind? Both have predictable, consistant editorial slants. Having one one or two token opposing viewpoints that get an hour a day is not having a balance it's what you do to have a completly cynical and calculated "we are a balanced news organization" argument when somebody calls you out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Riverwolf007 said:

@Aljosa23: how are they not a hive mind? Both have predictable, consistant editorial slants. Having one one or two token opposing viewpoints that get an hour a day is not having a balance its what you do to have a completly cynical and calculated"we are a balanced news organization" argument when somebody calls you out.

Naw I think there are a lot of different anchors on there I just decided to name a few instead of all of them. No doubt the most popular shows are the ones that dictate the topics.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. Both aren't news just talking heads giving their opinions 24/7. It sucks regardless of editorial slant. We can thank Reagan for eliminating the Fairness Doctrine and causing this current situation.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

Both channels are pretty bad to be perfectly honest. I've seen both intentionally spread misinformation and push their own ideologies. Keep in mind I say this as someone who used to defend msnbc, particularly Rachel Maddow, and I can no longer find any reason to do so.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22400 Posts

Lol @ Fox News...

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

fox news.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Both are terrible. Go ahead and add CNN to the two.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

as a dirty hippy dippy liberal, I obviously have to favor MSNBC.

With that said, objectively speaking, FOX blatantly lies and fear mongers. They're entertainment, not news, literally telling their supporters exactly what they want to hear; MSNBC can at least still be considered news (though they are far from flawless).

Both are terrible, but MSNBC is the much much much lesser of two evils.

*honestly if you want good news sources, you're going to have to read. At least news articles are generally free of body language, voice inflection, and editorializing (though editorials obviously exist). Also, for reputable sources, I think the standards are higher; even a biased printed news source will give you a better idea of what's going on than a neutral news channel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60c6d07310a
deactivated-5b60c6d07310a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5b60c6d07310a
Member since 2015 • 357 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto: I'll take CNN over both any day. CNN > MSNBC > FOX News

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44360 Posts

I prefer CNN over those two any day of the week but between them I'd say MSNBC is better. Fox is hilarious at the best of times and dangerously poisonous at the worst of times.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Can't say I'm a fan of televised news since its all show and no substance. I usually go for written news or articles such as Reuters or The Atlantic simply because I like to be engaged in what I'm reading and has more substance, depending on who's writing it and the subject that's being discussed. That said, written news still has its bias so I usually look to The New York Times, Washington Post, or The American Conservative. PBS documentaries are amazing, especially their topics on the Iraq War and the civil war in Syria.

That said, if I had to pick, I would go for MSNBC simply because I have a soft spot for Rachel Maddow, and that Fox News is unreliable and has been known to spread lies and fears (also one of their hosts bashed Star Wars. They can go fvck themselves). Shep Smith is cool though.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

Hard to say which is better, I never watch either of them, but from what I hear they're both hideous garbage. Saying which is better is like deciding whether you should eat elephant dung or deciding to dive into a sewer.

@Serraph105 said:

Both channels are pretty bad to be perfectly honest. I've seen both intentionally spread misinformation and push their own ideologies. Keep in mind I say this as someone who used to defend msnbc, particularly Rachel Maddow, and I can no longer find any reason to do so.

You know something's wrong when News Stations aren't safe either from the ever expanding company corruption game festering inside of America.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23047 Posts

@drunk_pi said:

Can't say I'm a fan of televised news since its all show and no substance. I usually go for written news or articles such as Reuters or The Atlantic simply because I like to be engaged in what I'm reading and has more substance, depending on who's writing it and the subject that's being discussed.

Yeah, plus you can simply get more complete news in half the time. TV is sooooooo slow at delivering information.

The Atlantic had a really long and interesting article today about what the author sees behind the Trump phenomenon, why he chose certain positions to campaign on, and why the establishment branch of the party has held little sway against him. I'm not sure much stock should be put into his opinion, but it was an interesting and well supported read.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Both are pretty crappy to me. Same with CNN.

brn-dn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 brn-dn
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Fox News is definitely the best. MSNBC is like a less funnier version of The Daily Show.

CNN though.. damn, what an awful channel. They try to remain neutral and fail miserably. They are also the most dishonest.

brn-dn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 brn-dn
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

@drunk_pi said:

Fox News is unreliable and has been known to spread lies and fears (also one of their hosts bashed Star Wars. They can go fvck themselves).

That was a joke on a comedy show airing at 3AM. She was not being serious whatsoever. Red Eye is a satirical show that airs on Fox News.

An MSNBC anchor however was being serious when she said that the character of Darth Vader is racist.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/12/14/msnbc-host-melissa-harris-perry-star-wars-racist-because-darth-vader-black

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

MSNBC has Rachel Maddow, so it wins. Fox news is just ridiculous.

As for CNN it's pretty bad as well, it takes one story and beats it to death for days, as if nothing else happens in the world, and CNN always blows everything into a race issue, then always takes the side of the African Americans (and I am not racist, though CNN seems to be), apparently they are still mired in white guilt.

That being said Sunday mornings are good on CNN, particularly GPS with Fareed Zakaria...though I miss Candy Crowley on State of the Nation.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2387 Posts

It I only have the option of those two then MSNBC for news but Fox for laughs. I've had a lot of literal laugh out loud moments when I happened to watch Fox.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@metalman0616 said:

@jun_aka_pekto: I'll take CNN over both any day. CNN > MSNBC > FOX News

Not me. I prefer local news to any of those three. I want news, not opinions. CNN is just as bad.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Both are bad, but Fox is terribad. Just stick to written editorials. I find them to be much more engaging and thorough.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#23 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

This is like asking which pile of shit is best to snack on...fucking NEITHER OF THEM are acceptable!

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3872 Posts

Fox news will have news stories that MSNBC won't cover in fact most major news net works. I am skeptical of all news channels. If you watch them closely you can see how they slant the news. I just want the facts not some ones slant.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@JimB said:

Fox news will have news stories that MSNBC won't cover in fact most major news net works. I am skeptical of all news channels. If you watch them closely you can see how they slant the news. I just want the facts not some ones slant.

lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololopoopoiopoiooi8ioogfuikjferugb

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#26 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

Neither. Some stuff from Fox can be easily confused with something from the onion, which is sad.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@drunk_pi said:
@JimB said:

lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololopoopoiopoiooi8ioogfuikjferugb

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#28  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Fox News is pretty much the posterchild for shitty news networks and studies have shown that their views are less informed, but MSNBC is not much better. Chris Matthews is obnoxious as ****.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Riverwolf007

@Serraph105 said:

it's funny that you specifically mention maddow.

traci and i dvr'd her every day for years then one day a few months ago we looked at each other and just laughed at how her show had become just another fox news ripoff.

we took it off the dvr schedule and have never watched one show since then.

$$$ >>> integrity.

jpcc86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By jpcc86
Member since 2006 • 159 Posts

Not saying MSNBC is good, cause it certainly isn't, but I don't think any channel comes close to Fox News when it comes to bias, misinformation and just general ignorance.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

@Riverwolf007: Rachel was very good at framing the main topic of each show in a historical context which always gave me a sense of decent journalism. It made her show feel like the best thing MSNBC had to offer, and after a while, the only thing MSNBC had to offer as the other shows became more and more partisan. It wasn't until the ebola scandal (I had pretty much stopped watching altogether due to the way they covered the 2012 election) where I turned on Rachel Maddow's show to see some coverage of people acting irrationally about it. She was covering something Lyndsey Graham had said which was something like, "You can catch ebola from someone by sitting on a bus with them," and Rachel pointed out that no you cannot because it was not an airborne virus.
I switched it over to Jon Stewart who was coincidentally covering the same video of Graham only he used the, apparently, full quote, "You can catch ebola from someone by sitting on a bus with them, and they throw up on you." It's simply amazing what cutting off three seconds of extra video can do, and it was right then I knew that Rachel had no qualms about changing information to fit her narrative. There was no possibility of it being an accident due to the nature of the the timing in which Graham had said it. I was done after that.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

They all suck.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44631 Posts

Even as a liberal I don't like MSNBC that much anymore, they've kicked off many of their anchors like Keith Olbermann who was the main reason I started watching them in the first place, Cenk Uygar, Dylan Ratigan, Ed Schultz, Alex Wagner, Al Sharpton, Tameron Hall, and I dunno who else. I hate Morning Joe. They still have Rachel Maddow and Chris Hayes, I like them but man they should all just create an MSNBC expatriate YouTube channel, piggyback of the TYT network.

Anyhow, false equivalency between comparing MSNBC and FoxNews, sure each has their own biases but FoxNews just blatantly makes shit up left and right, bias should be about coming from a certain perspective not just have utter morons on their network who just say whatever misinformation is politically expedient.

Anyhow, been missing Hayes and Maddow a lot lately, but caught this the other day, tell me when has FoxNews ever put anything on there that's been thoughtful as this...

Loading Video...

The problem with news groups like CNN is that in order to try to play no bias they report on stories that won't offend eithers sides political sensibilities which much of the time just means burying their heads in the sand and simply ignoring things.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

For actual news, I prefer the old fashion way, read the Newspaper. News channel such as Fox and CNN tends to be theories and a shaky one at that.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Of the two, Fox News is my choice.

I prefer to read Breitbart online.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GreySeal9

@jasean79 said:

lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@jasean79: Hahahaha this explains so much

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:
@jasean79 said:

lol

Double lol. Breitbart online is a cesspool.

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Wizard
Member since 2015 • 940 Posts

MSNBC has a bias. Fox News literally has policies related akin lying. Neither are good for news. Google News, just search and read everything FTW.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GreySeal9

@lamprey263 said:

Even as a liberal I don't like MSNBC that much anymore, they've kicked off many of their anchors like Keith Olbermann who was the main reason I started watching them in the first place, Cenk Uygar, Dylan Ratigan, Ed Schultz, Alex Wagner, Al Sharpton, Tameron Hall, and I dunno who else. I hate Morning Joe. They still have Rachel Maddow and Chris Hayes, I like them but man they should all just create an MSNBC expatriate YouTube channel, piggyback of the TYT network.

Anyhow, false equivalency between comparing MSNBC and FoxNews, sure each has their own biases but FoxNews just blatantly makes shit up left and right, bias should be about coming from a certain perspective not just have utter morons on their network who just say whatever misinformation is politically expedient.

Anyhow, been missing Hayes and Maddow a lot lately, but caught this the other day, tell me when has FoxNews ever put anything on there that's been thoughtful as this...

Loading Video...

The problem with news groups like CNN is that in order to try to play no bias they report on stories that won't offend eithers sides political sensibilities which much of the time just means burying their heads in the sand and simply ignoring things.

What you said about CNN is real talk.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

Both are bad, but Fox News probably does more harm since so many more watch it (lol the South) and they actively promote certain candidates far far far more heavily, and a lot more mis-information (lol global warming is fake for 10 years, now they finally agree).

OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 OmegaTau
Member since 2007 • 908 Posts

They are both stupid any major news channel in usa

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#43 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

They are both entertainment sites, not really news. They're designed to be shocking and alluring. They do what they intend to do.