Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 697 Posts

For those that hadn't read the news. After the spain femenine football NT won the world cup, the president of the Spanish FA inappropriately kissed one the players in the lips during the celebration. The kiss is said to be against her will according to the player.

Obviously, this generated a massive controversy and calls for the president to resign. Sadly Rubiales (the fa president) did not resign and tried to minimize the situation.

As a result FIFA suspended him.

So far so good, but now it gets absurd.

The coach of the NT, was already a bit controversial. He was never accused of any improper behavior, but many of the former players didn't like his management style and some of them had tried to blackmail the Spanish FA in to firing him by refusing to be called.(he simply called other players as a result)

He was seen clapping for the fa president when he announced his renovation and some people think he was late to condemn the actions of Rubiales.

As a result of that, he was sacked just yesterday.

Now this is a woldcup winning Coach that did not behave inappropriately being fired as a result of most people being rightfully angry with the president and not being able to fire him instead.

In my opinion it's an irrational and emotional group thinking reaction, largely based on mindset of seeing gender as a proxy for morality.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

Yeah I read a bit about this, and the whole thing is pretty gross.

First off, the offense is bad enough: dude should not have kissed her. In an ideal world, he would have been fired right then and there.

But the follow up to it has been terrible. From flat-out lies ("oh she said it was OK") to the gaslighting to Rubiales' mom going on *squints* --a hunger strike?!--to clear her son's name.

Oh and the complete systemic failure of anyone in the organization to do anything remotely close to the right thing.

I'm not much of an activist but this whole thing was just disgusting. Machismo and toxic masculinity has no role in our future and needs to be called out.

FIFA sucks almost as much as the IOC. Straight up mafia shit.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34694 Posts

Was going to say that I doubt he kissed her because he had ill and sexist intents. But

@mrbojangles25 said:

From flat-out lies ("oh she said it was OK") to the gaslighting to Rubiales' mom going on *squints* --a hunger strike?!--to clear her son's name.

that makes it look way worse. Had he said something like "I have no idea what I was thinking, I'm so sorry Jenni, I was caught up in happy emotions and didn't mean anything else by the kiss. I regret it, and will stand by whatever decision is made", I'd respect it.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nirgal

@Litchie: the guy is douche and not only for that l. He has been involved in several acts of corruption.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34694 Posts

@nirgal: Ok :/ Yeah, I'm clueless. Sounds terrible.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

It's 2023 and you can no longer belittle sexually inappropriate actions. I've no idea if it was just the excitement in the moment or the guy has no boundaries but the president needs to own up to his mistake. Whether that means a publically issue apology or resignation from his post that's not for me to decide.

As for the coach, it seems there was ill will against him for a while now (from I understand - have no prior knowledge) despite winning the Cup, so they were probably looking to let him go anyway.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3449 Posts

House cleaning 🧹

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nirgal

@johnd13: no, this was definitely a result of the controversy.

They are looking to cut some heads and don't care who is responsible, so long as they can say they have done something.