The Matrix vs Terminator 2 - Which classic Sci fi action movie was better

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

Poll The Matrix vs Terminator 2 - Which classic Sci fi action movie was better (38 votes)

Terminator 2 66%
Matrix 34%
No Caption Provided

So 2 of most beloved sci fi action movies of 90s. revolutionize science fiction and action genre. even hero wearing same kind of outfit. which is better of 2?

Really liked Terminator 2. alot though prefer Terminator 1 which show arnie as villain and it was more darker and horror approach. still excellent movie.

but out of those. Matrix easily. the action done better. kung fu, gun fu, and everything. its also more complex movie.

so my friends lets vote and discuss.

sadly both franchise have worst latese part. dark fate is bad woke parody of T2. Matrix 4 despite how bad it turn out still better than Dark fate.

• 
SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8299 Posts

Voted Matrix, but was not an easy choice. Could make an argument for either one. But first matrix movie is too solid. Terminator 2, could have chose it make similar argument, also iconic, but it's more iconic because of how it plays off the first movie, where first matrix is is first entry, so I vote for matrix.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

Was a hard choice but, I went with Matrix. Love T2 but, they ruined it with the sappy ending. "I know now why you cry, but it's something I can never do". Horrible.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23943 Posts

The Matrix.

As good as Terminator 2 is, I actually prefer the first one.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24962 Posts

@Maroxad said:

The Matrix.

As good as Terminator 2 is, I actually prefer the first one.

The first one is better. Arnold work better in terminator as villain better than Hero.

Kyle Reese play is still best Terminator Protagonist ever.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

Terminator 2

Example

> Love randomly turned Neo into Jesus for a zenkai power boost

> The child influences the Terminator but he accepts what his nature is while ultimately committing an act of what it is to be human, sacrifice

Not even Terminator 2, Dark City is better imo.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

T2.

The Matrix has its moments but I don't think its CGI aged well, and it's more corny.

T2 had more groundbreaking CGI that still holds up well to me. Any movie with Arnold enhances the cheese factor, but in a way that's more charming and memorable to me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup
@ghosts4ever said:

I like Kyle Reese (and he does appear in the T2 extended cut) but Terminator 2 does what lazy movies don't, they make John Conner not likable and actually develop.

He's suppose to be humanities savior, the great hero as introduced in the opening.

But when meet him he's a delinquent rando kid from a broken family home who hates his mother and thinks she's crazy. And when he actually meets the Terminator he thinks of him more as a thing to "use". He acts like any asshole teenager kid.

By the end of the movie he's saved multiple people including his mother and ends with the impression this kid is someone who could be a leader.

The movie deliberately makes him mundane in contrast to "le chosen one" the intro makes him out to be.

Neo is also "le chosen one" but it's far more boring and generic in nature outside of "what is reality", which itself has been done many times over.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ghosts4ever
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I like Kyle Reese (and he does appear in the T2 extended cut) but Terminator 2 does what lazy movies don't, they make John Conner not likable and actually develop.

He's suppose to be humanities savior, the great hero as introduced in the opening.

But when meet him he's a delinquent rando kid from a broken family home who hates his mother and thinks she's crazy. And when he actually meets the Terminator he thinks of him more as a thing to "use". He acts like any asshole teenager kid.

By the end of the movie he's saved multiple people including his mother and ends with the impression this kid is someone who could be a leader.

The movie deliberately makes him mundane in contrast to "le chosen one" the intro makes him out to be.

Neo is also "le chosen one" but it's far more boring and generic in nature outside of "what is reality", which itself has been done many times over.

James cameron made his so called sequel to Terminator 2. Dark fate. killed John connor. replaced with mexican female. female terminator/human hybrid as protector.

and ruined the story to the point Dark fate bomb at box office.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts

T2. I forgive the first one for ripping off a Harlan Ellison story (the case was settled). T2 is almost non-stop action and has heart. Matrix is pretty sweet. While it has outstanding visuals, the story never hits as hard as T2 does. With AI getting more complex at present, T2 really speaks.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3441 Posts

T2, not even close.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58395 Posts

I love Terminator 2, I think I even love it more than The Matrix, but....c'mon, The Matrix is by far the better movie. I really don't think it can be overstated how influential it has been. Set the standard for CGI, for starters, and it brought a lot of concepts and really far out there thoughts into the mainstream. Had a great cast of actors, excellent villains, really stunning action sequences.

Like I said, Terminator 2 will always be one of my top action movies of all time, but The Matrix is just an amazing film.

Both movies are plagued by terrible, terrible sequel's, though 😋

Actually I kind of liked all the Matrix films though tbh, but yeah some not so great.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

Terminator 2 is the better movie IMO, but I do prefer The Matrix.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

in terms of movies that blew my mind more when they came out i'll go with the matrix.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup
@mrbojangles25 said:

I love Terminator 2, I think I even love it more than The Matrix, but....c'mon, The Matrix is by far the better movie. I really don't think it can be overstated how influential it has been. Set the standard for CGI, for starters, and it brought a lot of concepts and really far out there thoughts into the mainstream. Had a great cast of actors, excellent villains, really stunning action sequences.

Wait. Wat?

Terminator 2 had a far greater influence in that regard. Like, not even close.

The main thing Matrix brought was Hong Kong style action, in reality Asia has this kinda things for years but in the The West, wasn't really a thing outside of John Woo.

The The Matrix was a ripple effect of Terminator 2.

Can also say it had a negative effect where movies are now over-reliant on CGI. But the early movies T2, JP, used it sporadically and wisely rather than lazy ass scattergun "can't be arsed" approach crutch it's used for today.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Wait. Wat?

The main thing Matrix brought was Hong Kong style action, in reality Asia has this kinda things for years but in the The West, wasn't really a thing outside of John Woo.

and thus the action aspect done better in Matrix. with kung fu mix with shootout in science fiction universe.

Loading Video...

This probably one of the best action scene.

Loading Video...

and this dodging bullet sequence.

Terminator 2 is great science fiction movie. but its not better action movie.

although female support cast Sarah connor is much better than Trinity. anyways.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:

and thus the action aspect done better in Matrix. with kung fu mix with shootout in science fiction universe.

See this Helicopter? That is actually someone dangerously flying under a bridge. The crew refused to film it but "his name is Jamessss Cameron" did.

Loading Video...

Comparing apples and oranges in the sense, Terminator 2 isn't a martial arts movie, but it's set pieces are by far more impressive in technical terms.

The Matrix one looks good for sure, and it is what you like, but to me it's not even remotely close to the T2 sequence.

Loading Video...

And that T2 sequence comes (as everyone in human existence knows) after this.

Loading Video...

And directly after this.

Loading Video...

Come back to reality.

DigitalNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DigitalNoodle
Member since 2003 • 324 Posts

I like T2 better even with that massive plot hole of the T 1000 being able to time travel.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

Terminator 2 is the better action flick. It's Cameron near his best.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@MirkoS77 said:

Terminator 2 is the better action flick. It's Cameron near his best.

have you played Terminator Resistance? thats real Terminator 3.

its basically a lot like STLALKERish.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By palasta
Member since 2017 • 1405 Posts

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58395 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Wait. Wat?

The The Matrix was a ripple effect of Terminator 2.

Can also say it had a negative effect where movies are now over-reliant on CGI. But the early movies T2, JP, used it sporadically and wisely rather than lazy ass scattergun "can't be arsed" approach crutch it's used for today.

Hahaha yeah I know, it's a "hot take" and even I was torn about writing that, but I stand by it.

I won't attempt to dissuade anyone that disagrees with what I said of their opinion. I mean honestly, with these two movies, we all win.

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

See this Helicopter? That is actually someone dangerously flying under a bridge. The crew refused to film it but "his name is Jamessss Cameron" did.

Comparing apples and oranges in the sense, Terminator 2 isn't a martial arts movie, but it's set pieces are by far more impressive in technical terms.

The Matrix one looks good for sure, and it is what you like, but to me it's not even remotely close to the T2 sequence.

And that T2 sequence comes (as everyone in human existence knows) after this.

And directly after this.

Come back to reality.

James Cameron is the egotistical Hollywood prick we don't want, but the egotistical Hollywood prick we need. I say that with nothing but love in my heart.

There's a story where the executives were giving him a hard time about a movie he was making and he more or less took them outside and said "You see that building? That's $500 million in equipment and property. You see that over there? That's $200 million. Your mansions you live in? I bought those for you with the money my movies we made. We're doing this movie, and we're doing it my way."

Love it. I don't like the guy on a personal level but hot damn does he make some entertainment.

And yeah the set pieces are pretty great.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

Terminator 2 held up much better.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

Both great movies but The Matrix is far more interesting. The world, action sequences and philosophical themes are still unmatched today.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50588 Posts

T2 is so much better.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Both movies are great, and both are perfect realizations of their premises, but The Matrix (part one) is better for me because the story twisted my mind better than T2, even though I was 17 and not 10, and all that with the movie being deliberately over the top (which is normally not my thing). It's the idea that it could really be happening without me knowing it that bought me.

On a side note, it feels weird that both movies are from the same decade, right?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56219 Posts

The Terminator 2 is still by far the best impressive special effects movie to this very day, it has really aged well, it stands the test of times. Now however, if you were to include Jurassic Park, Alien or Aliens, this would have been something like this for me: Aliens > Jurassic Park > T2 > The Matrix.

@jaydan said:

T2.

The Matrix has its moments but I don't think its CGI aged well, and it's more corny.

T2 had more groundbreaking CGI that still holds up well to me. Any movie with Arnold enhances the cheese factor, but in a way that's more charming and memorable to me.

Regarding the use of CGI. Not only did they use CGI, but they also used Practical Effects. Jurassic Park for example blended the 2 to make very convincing Dinosaurs and plus, they filmed on location vs using a big green rooms.

Even Starship Troopers CGI/Practical Effects still looks impressive I might add.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

Terminator 2 is one of the best movies ever made. I enjoyed the Matrix but it's not up there for me.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Like I said, Terminator 2 will always be one of my top action movies of all time, but The Matrix is just an amazing film.

Both movies are plagued by terrible, terrible sequel's, though 😋

Actually I kind of liked all the Matrix films though tbh, but yeah some not so great.

Weird take. I don't recall the hype behind The Matrix ever having anything to do with the CGI. The Matrix hype was always about the stylish action, set design, costuming, etc. It intrigued casual audiences for its "confusing" philosophical narrative.

Terminator 2 was a lot more groundbreaking and to this day it's one on of the early blockbuster films that used CGI that the industry still looks at, calling it impressive and ahead of its time, right there with Jurassic Park; The Matrix, not so much.

You're entitled to your opinion, but suggesting The Matrix set the standard over Terminator 2 is an objective falsehood.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

T2. I can still watch that again and enjoy it as much I did the first time I saw it. Aside from the action sequences the Matrix just gets bring really fast.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

I rewatch clips of T2 on YouTube more often than I do for the Matrix, so T2.

But I like the first Terminator better than T2.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#32 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19587 Posts

This is a tough one.

The Matrix had better plot development, action scenes and visual effects. It was basically like a live-action anime, as the Wachowskis put it.

However, Terminator 2 had better character development and more heart. It was one of the better takes on the "Lone Wolf and Cub" trope.

Overall, I'd give a slight edge to The Matrix.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

Not really a fan of the Matrix and it's grossly overrated.

Icrackurnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Icrackurnuts
Member since 2024 • 64 Posts

If it was 1999 again I would say matrix but nowadays the film doesn’t hold up that well at least compared to terminator 2