uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59062 Posts

Hello, i'd like your thoughts on this streaming show. It's 6 episodes in now (of 8).

I watched yesterday and liked the first two episodes, but all the other episodes I do not like.

Do not care about the city stuff or boat boy. The orcs are kinda boring. Galadriel kinda just comes across as abit of a know it all asshole.

I like the relationship with the elf and the dwarf dude and how they ripped off The Iron Giant with Gandalf.

I ignored most of the hate pre-release and after, as a lot of it was just closet racists and people who hate woman. Have no problem with black elfs or black hobbits, or all the orcs being white and wearing MAGA hats.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#2 GNS
Member since 2015 • 922 Posts

Eh, I don't care for the contraversies that it does not follow the books. Truth be told, it takes very much for me not to like a show/movie/book, it has to be really low quality. Is this show the next best thing? Nope. But is it shit just because it does not follow the source material? Also no. Somewhere between a six and a seven. Most favorite characters are dwarves and haarfoots (yeas, I've said it, haarfoots, Nori appeals to my inner child).

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59062 Posts

@gns: Yea, six or seven sounds about right.

Internet hyperbole from the usual suspects and a lot of dumb assses act like parrots spewing out crap with a domino effect.

Not really big on Lord Of The Rings, more of a Conan fellow. So, the changes aren't as egregious as they potentially would be.

Agree the hobbits are the best part. And as mentioned above, the bros elf/dwarf dynamic I like. Those have abit of humanity to them, which I think is the major problem with the Galadriel portions. Everyone sounds like they are just spouting jargon at each other. And she in particular can be summed as a "Stoic woman".

Her first episode was interesting where she had conflict and was going against the grain, but after that, she just kind of an asshole, who mostly has just been hanging around a city blabla crap don't care about.

City stuff seems to be the main focal point while also being the worst part.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I think it's fine. Obviously they have to make up a bunch of stuff since they don't have any rights to LOTR or the Hobbit (or access to the author without a Ouija board) so there's going to be a greater degree of creative license at work here. My biggest issue is the pacing. I haven't seen this week's ep yet but generally my wife and I are just waiting for something to happen. Whole lot of setup going on that hopefully pays off later but we've been burned before.

Taken in isolation it's alright but I think it's biggest "flaw" is timing because it dropped right after GoT:HoD and both are medieval fantasy shows so the stuff that HoD is doing better highlights the weaker areas of Rings.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@byshop: Actually the only rights Amazon owns is for the LOTR and Hobbit books. The show is based on the Appendices section of LOTR which contains a brief recounting of the events of the second age of Middle-Earth. The Silmarillion obviously delves a lot deeper into that era (as well as the first age) but Amazon cannot use any of that unless it is also included in the LOTR Appendices.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I think it's alright. Visually very impressive and reminiscent of the LOTR films. But it's not that interesting or gripping - too slow for its own good. Though just watched episode 6 and it was one of the best so far.

Elrond's mission with the Dwarves as well as the Orcs are the best parts of the show. The rest not so much. Galadriel is a bit annoying/cringy and the Harfoots are underutilized and boring.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7307 Posts

I get why people find Galadriel annoying, but Elves are supposed to be stoic and condescending (and racist). The fact she and Legolas weren't that way in LotR made them kind of unusual for elves. This show should theoretically be about her getting over all that.

As for my opinion, the show is okay. I'll probably finish the first season, but things need to pick up if I'm going to come back for the second. And I have basically the same sentiment toward HotD.

sadx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sadx
Member since 2003 • 27 Posts

For the amount of money they spent on the show, it seems really generic and visually bland. But the biggest offender of all is with weak script writing.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17833 Posts

It's fine overall. Watchable. But i would hope for better than that given the resources at the studios disposal.

The script writing and dialogue are the biggest offenders. Why do they keep speaking in metaphors? Stop it please!