blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16572 Posts

I found this article to be disturbing. It's pathetic that these losers are trying to keep out legitimate competition in the market place and prevent consumers from purchasing more affordable cars, by putting up barriers to legitimate trade. Honestly, I don't give 2 shits if the Chinese government subsidized the company or whatever bullshit excuse they come up with. I believe in free market and capitalism. If the Chinese government subsidized method drives these other auto makers extinct, that just means their system is better. The fatass ceos and the obese union members should piss off. That's just my opinion though. Congress also needs to stay out of this, though from past history, I'm willing to bet the commies put up more barriers and go against free market. That's a bet I'm willing to take. What are your thoughts on this?

https://fortune.com/2024/02/24/chinese-carmakers-evs-mexico-back-door-threat-american-automotive-sector/

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

If their complaint is that the government subsidized them, the US auto manufacturers can take a long walk off a short pier; the late 2000's might seem like a long time ago, but I remember all but Ford took massive financial bailouts from the US government while taxpayers suffered and car prices increased significantly.

If the Chinese vehicles are good cars and less expensive, then I am all for it.

We've been here before when Japanese vehicles first came to the US as well, and manufacturers adapted; they can do the same with Chinese cars.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

Mostly or only electric vehicles coming from China?

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 697 Posts

They have like 25% tariffs for Chinese cars. If I was American I would not be worried.

if they produce in Mexico, they have to face all the same production infraestructure and costs that American companies that produce in Mexico.

If I was European though, I would definitely expect further de-industralization and then technological dependency.

Like European solar panels. Or the absence of any kind of European solar panels after natively allowing heavily subsided competitions to make their own players go bankrupt

And after the subisides killed the competition: set the prices you want to.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Kind of off topic, but I've never seen a BYD car. I see a lot of Chevrolets around here, which is really unusual for Europe, and the occasional Chrysler too. Strangely, Ford has very little presence compared to the UK and to other EU countries. Lots of Teslas in my city... not sure how representative that is of the rest of Poland currently.

Don't know about tarrifs, nor what to think about import of state-subsidised cars. Will leave those questions to the boffins and eggheads until I'm capable of forming an educated opinion.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

@sancho_panzer said:

Kind of off topic, but I've never seen a BYD car. I see a lot of Chevrolets around here, which is really unusual for Europe, and the occasional Chrysler too. Strangely, Ford has very little presence compared to the UK and to other EU countries. Lots of Teslas in my city... not sure how representative that is of the rest of Poland currently.

Don't know about tarrifs, nor what to think about state subsidised automotive imports. Will leave those questions to the boffins and eggheads until I'm capable of forming an educated opinion.

They are nothing spectular. BYD HAN look OK imo. Seen a few of them.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16572 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

If their complaint is that the government subsidized them, the US auto manufacturers can take a long walk off a short pier; the late 2000's might seem like a long time ago, but I remember all but Ford took massive financial bailouts from the US government while taxpayers suffered and car prices increased significantly.

If the Chinese vehicles are good cars and less expensive, then I am all for it.

We've been here before when Japanese vehicles first came to the US as well, and manufacturers adapted; they can do the same with Chinese cars.

yep pathetic hypocrites. I always laugh at the government when they call chinese companies "state sponsored"...yeah with the number of bailouts, and favorable regulations, which US company isn't state sponsored? Just as bad are the unions...it feels like everyone is just pigs on the trough.

I'm personally not a fan of cars..in fact I think we need to build more dense and walkable neighborhoods, build better public transit and in general more closely knit communities. The way of life now, with miles and miles of roads, urban sprawl is just causing all sorts of physical and mental health problems among the population.

So I guess, chinese cars which would be more affordable would be a bad thing? We don't need to make driving more accessible. So I guess maybe uncle sam got it right, and should tarrif the crap out of these chinese evs, for our own good?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

I found this article to be disturbing. It's pathetic that these losers are trying to keep out legitimate competition in the market place and prevent consumers from purchasing more affordable cars, by putting up barriers to legitimate trade. Honestly, I don't give 2 shits if the Chinese government subsidized the company or whatever bullshit excuse they come up with. I believe in free market and capitalism. If the Chinese government subsidized method drives these other auto makers extinct, that just means their system is better. The fatass ceos and the obese union members should piss off. That's just my opinion though. Congress also needs to stay out of this, though from past history, I'm willing to bet the commies put up more barriers and go against free market. That's a bet I'm willing to take. What are your thoughts on this?

https://fortune.com/2024/02/24/chinese-carmakers-evs-mexico-back-door-threat-american-automotive-sector/

can't comment on a paywall article

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2146 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

It's pathetic that these losers are trying to keep out legitimate competition in the market place and prevent consumers from purchasing more affordable cars

Nothing legitimate about selling cars at a loss because CCP is subsidizing the costs in order to kill competition.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

... obese union members should piss off. ...

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

...Just as bad are the unions...it feels like everyone is just pigs on the trough.

Why such hate for unions?

I understand why you might disagree with some of their stances on occasion, but the middle class is shrinking and has as little purchasing power and as little pay as they have ever had in history.

Unions are as important now as they were before. Perhaps more so.

Maybe when we cap executive salaries and there are regulations to ensure employees are paid fairly we can talk about unions being unnecessary, but until then...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: Unfettered capitalism is not a net positive.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44621 Posts

They're not going to sell here for a number of reasons, first an foremost is China's complete disregard of intellectual property rights. Secondly, Chinese vehicles only have to meet the standard of being operational for 5 years before reaching a scrapping state, which just wouldn't fly here with our nation's auto standards.

TL;DR they're pieces of shit.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: the thing is, once a company receives government subsidies you can't really claim it to be truly the free market. It doesn't really matter what government or company we're talking about either.

For the record I have no opinion about BYD cars as I don't know enough about them to make any sort of argument about them. I just think your view of what makes a truly free market should not include government subsidied companies.