The vitriol by Toho G-fans over the Godzilla x Kong trailer.

ZombieVirolina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ZombieVirolina
Member since 2013 • 863 Posts

They've already declared it a "shitty movie" despite it not coming out until next summer and already say Godzilla Minus One is a better film. It makes one thing painfully obvious:

Not all weebs are Toho G-Fans, but all Toho G-Fans are weebs.

How someone can call low budget and and "The Room" level acting atrocious if done in America, but a masterpiece if done in Japan or automatically rating a movie with a 1 on iMDB and downvoting the trailer on YouTube (yes, even though it's hidden, thumbs downs are still tracked) because it isn't the Japanese version is just baffling weeb behavior.

My opinion on the trailer? It does what it was designed to do, which is get you on a big budget hype train, but if the trends of people just not going to the movies post-COVID continues into 2024, I honestly don't see it doing well in theaters.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59121 Posts

Noticed this with Ghost In Shell (2017) watched the other day. Not the best movie ever, but at the same time it's not a disaster, still "a good movie". Would watch again.

But people (myself included) were acting like it broke into their house and shat in their mouth. Writing it off before, and after release.

And then also got the dumb shit about "ohhhhh she's not a Japanese!" where got your typical Kotaku type dumbasses crying.

When the movie, 100% explicitly states her body was totally destroyed with only the brain remaining. And makes it a point to show she was a Japanese person with a Japanese mother. Even the anime movie creator called them dumb as shit.

-

American Godzilla movies didn't like the first one, it felt like a movie that was ashamed to be a monster movie. Focused on human characters did not give a shit about.

Godzilla King Of The Monsters I liked a lot better. It felt unashamedly a monster movie. Going so far as to have Bear Mcreary rescore original themes. The humans still sucked but I liked the doctor guy. Not the girl from Stranger Things, she sucked.

Godzilla vs. Kong was ok. Didn't like the theme tunes were all gone and it was more of a Kong movie, a character don't really care about much. The human stuff was as bad as the first movie and the fighting got abit mind numbing for me.

-

Of the Japanese Godzilla movies Godzilla vs Destoroyah is my fav. It has all the elements I love, and aside from Destoroyah looking abit cheap it has fav Godzilla design. He's a walking volcano ready to blow up (and does).

Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack is also pretty good, I like it completely dispenses with the nuclear stuff and it's basically mythological monsters coming to life for a big epic battle. And Godzilla is 100% the bad guy. His design in this is awesome as well. Easily has the best fights in the series.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19584 Posts

To be fair, the American ones are all pretty terrible, Shin Godzilla was really good, and I've heard good things about Minus One.

So it's a fair bet that Minus One will be better than Godzilla and Kong.

ZombieVirolina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ZombieVirolina

@Planeforger: The last three American films were okay, but descending in quality with each one. KvG I think the producers thought would sell itself just by the premise and not much thought was given to making strong script.

On the Toho side, Minus One, from what I heard, has the same acting quality as "Final Wars"...very campy and cheesy. But it goes back to my original point. The people that will score that highly while dumping on American movies with the same production values is hypocritical and typical of the average weeb.

ZombieVirolina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZombieVirolina

@uninspiredcup: I LOVED Space Godzilla's design with the crystal spikes in the shoulders. I think G's design in Godzilla x Kong is a nod to it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Noticed this with Ghost In Shell (2017) watched the other day. Not the best movie ever, but at the same time it's not a disaster, still "a good movie". Would watch again.

But people (myself included) were acting like it broke into their house and shat in their mouth. Writing it off before, and after release.

Yeah I didn't think it was terrible. I get both sides of the argument, though.

To many, things are sacred. I have a very specific idea of what "Dune" should be, for example. The recent film nailed it in my opinion; the 1980's version absolutely did not. To me, the 1980's version came into my house and shit on my floor.

On the other hand, I think people should be free to interpret works of art (books, film, shows, etc) with some degree of creative liberty. They should be able to spin it how they want...to a degree.

I suppose it's a tough act to balance because if you do adapt a previous work or IP to your vision, you should at least work to be true to the source material, but at the same time you should feel free to put your own spin on it.

It's why I like the Black Mesa remake of Half-Life so much. For the most part, it could be considered a frame-for-frame remake, but at the same time they added a lot of stuff and made a lot their own. In a few ways, you could argue it's a better game than original Half-Life.

ZombieVirolina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ZombieVirolina

@mrbojangles25:

The Dune debacle of 1984, I blame on the producers for hiring David Lynch. Like you said, people have a pretty concrete vision of what Dune should be, yet they let a man known exclusively for contemplative and interpretational cinema helm the project.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 697 Posts

I am not a fan of either franchise, but I also reacted very negatively to the trailer. It looked like a Saturday morning cartoon, with real life actors.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup

@mrbojangles25: Yea, mean, said in the other thread, but think the Ghost In The Shell movie (2017) was better in the aspect of it actually having abit of humanity to it. Like, 1995 movie might be deeper, more complex and have superior visuals, but, everyone talks like a PhD philosophy student Vulcan. I just, kinda don't care about the characters. More something I appreciate and respect than enjoy.

The live action version is simpler, and has inferior visuals, but... these feel more like people to me. I care more about Scarlett Johansson Major than the one in the 1995 movie.

The story as well lifts basic ideas and themes but still does it's own thing.

If we're being real here, Ghost In The Shell movie (2017) story is Robocop, if he was significantly more attractive, with tits.

Exact same shit, person dies, wiped memories, evil corporation guy, remembering who he was, final moments discovering his name acknowledging him as a person not a product yadadada

Like a mish-mash of both these movies with the latter being less obvious. Which, have no problem with. Fine with that.

And yea, I agree with your point about this, weird, entitlement and expectation people have. On the other hand, if you look at Hollywood, it's easy to see where the cynicism comes from.

Remember the hate The Prequels got? Worst thing ever right? Ruined the OT. Now alot of people suck them off. Most lore afterword's is derived from it, not the OT.

And indeed if you look at what Disney done, they originally ignored the Prequels, thinking fans hated it and they wanted A New Hope.

And guess what? It was boring. Uninspired.

The thing Lucas did with the Prequels, he completely ignored the fans and made his vision. Telling a story that completely went against expectations.

Anakin? Cool? Nope. He's a whiny confused kid.

Jedi? Heroic heroes? Nope. They are basically a weird liberal cult who think they are so great they actively come across as stupid.

Palpatine The Sith? Nope. He's going to beat them through politics. Sit back and watch for 3 movies until revealing himself.

Disney, couldn't do that. Does not compute. Even with their TV shows they are unable to do this, practically everyone hinged off "thing I remember". The only one I'd argue that actually created significant new lore direction was Rebels with World Between Worlds/Mortis etc...

But then with Ahsoka (a show I was very much looking forward to btw) they've basically Loin King'd it because the cartoons do not have the same mass appeal.

Think Starwars is like, the prime example of "yea, ignore the fans", cause, they are actually kind of idiots who don't know what they want other than thing they had before.

We need to apologize to Lucas.

No Caption Provided

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I don't know if "Loined Kinged" was the term you were going for, but it sounds fitting.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50610 Posts

I loved the previous three Godzilla movies from Legendary, but this looks dumb. I hated the direction of the Godzilla/Kong, but loved the fighting.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 uninspiredcup

@nirgal said:

I am not a fan of either franchise, but I also reacted very negatively to the trailer. It looked like a Saturday morning cartoon, with real life actors.

Agree. Rather see people in suits with miniatures.

It's not realistic either, but it's something physically their with more a sense of something you can tangibly touch. And more to the point, a style. Just as much as something like Ray Harryhausen.

Loading Video...

By comparison the new trailer looks fairly, "any CGI". Isn't really any identity to it.

But like, that shit will never, ever happen with Western audiences.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

I mean, the only good American Godzilla movie was the 2014 one; all the other ones were pretty trashy.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1407 Posts

Godzilla, Kong, Dogzilla, Kong, Godzilla, gokn...

Boring. How about something new. How about a movie... about a Space Monster... from space... that wipes out mankind... using only its sharp space claws... and an army of mind controlled mutated wildlife, mutated into viscious biomechanical monstrosities. Yea, i would rather watch that.

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Robertos
Member since 2023 • 1017 Posts
@Willy105 said:

I mean, the only good American Godzilla movie was the 2014 one; all the other ones were pretty trashy.

Yeah the American ones are all either trash or mid at best.

The new Godzilla -1 (Japanese) is supposed to be pretty good though.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/godzilla_minus_one

ZombieVirolina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ZombieVirolina

@palasta: Cloverfield?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#17 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19617 Posts

I haven't watched Godzilla in years. But most of the critics agree the Japanese "Gojira" movies are better than the American Godzilla movies.

Rotten Tomatoes scores:

Japanese movies:

• Shin Godzilla (2016) - 86%
  • Godzilla Minus One (2023) - 97%

American movies:

• Godzilla (2014) - 76%
  • Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) - 42%
  • Godzilla vs Kong (2021) - 75%